Hurricane Harvey Grows to Cat 4

Now ya see........I'd rather take an occasional earthquake over a hurricane or tornado anyday. If I lived in the south or Midwest, I'd probably never come out of the basement.
After the Nisqually quake in 2001 of 6.8....our neighbors that were from Missouri said we (west coasters) were crazy to live with quakes that have no warning and they moved back to MO within 6 months.

I guess it's whatever you're used to :dunno:

Now ya see........I'd rather take an occasional earthquake over a hurricane or tornado anyday. If I lived in the south or Midwest, I'd probably never come out of the basement.
After the Nisqually quake in 2001 of 6.8....our neighbors that were from Missouri said we (west coasters) were crazy to live with quakes that have no warning and they moved back to MO within 6 months.

I'd rather have several days warning than to have my world shaken to pieces on a moment's notice.
Thats what caused the death toll of the 1900 hundred hurricane...no warning.
Deadly Hurricanes Are Nothing New to Texas

Yikes, and folks in these parts were whining about the six inches we got back in June. That crap only happens once, oh, every thirty years or so. First flood since I was in High school. I live in an area where practically no natural disasters lurk. Just cold as hell all the time. lol

I was lucky to see a day get into the 90's this summer. A friend nearby was bitching about turning the heat on in August.

With this Climate Change, I don't think we'll ever see this again, though my grand parents told me stories of this. . .

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

Yikes, and folks in these parts were whining about the six inches we got back in June. That crap only happens once, oh, every thirty years or so. First flood since I was in High school. I live in an area where practically no natural disasters lurk. Just cold as hell all the time. lol

I was lucky to see a day get into the 90's this summer. A friend nearby was bitching about turning the heat on in August.

With this Climate Change, I don't think we'll ever see this again, though my grand parents told me stories of this. . .

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

Holy Fuck!!!
Is that snow to the tops of power poles?

I'd rather have several days warning than to have my world shaken to pieces on a moment's notice.
Notice how the weather always seemed just severe in times past?

Yet the media would have us all believe the Earth is loosing it's fecking mind.

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

Holy Fuck!!!
Is that snow to the tops of power poles?
Yeah, the old ones never fail to remind us of those days when we have to shovel out after a storm.

The old. . . when I was your age. . . . shtick. Your mother got lost in a snow bank bit.

Ya know......that's what they said too. :lol:

But I admit, it was a bit unnerving. And same with the 65 quake @ 6.7. We've had others over the years, but so much smaller and rarely notice them. We're not like CA or AK, that have quakes almost daily. So 2 large quakes in less than 50 years isn't bad.

And yet all on the West Coast are worried about 'the Big One'.........I'd rather not think about that

Notice how the weather always seemed just severe in times past?

Yet the media would have us all believe the Earth is loosing it's fecking mind.

Yeah....I remember our Cali neighbor boarding up his windows during Ike in 08.
I told him it was unnecessary but he wouldnt listen.
He didnt put plywood up this time.

Last edited:

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

Where in the blinkers do you live anyway????

That kind of snow couldn't be a regular occurrence........could it??

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

In the Great Lakes region, in northern Michigan. . .

And no, the past few winters I haven't seen more than two foot of snow. It's been a while since I've seen anything up to my waist.

Actually, there is a new type of natural disaster that has come our way. With super warm springs and these super northern ice cold fronts out of Canada keeping the lakes frozen and moving the ice, the Great Lakes sometimes throw out Ice Tsunamis for resident's around the Lakes. Scary, beautiful, and deadly. I'd never heard of them till just this last year. They can tear down a whole house. Luckily they move slow enough for you to get out of the way though. :eusa_think:

Though I live in the upper Ohio River valley and thankfully do not suffer effects from hurricanes aside from some soaking rains in the aftermath, I have lived through two hurricanes. One was Hurricane Elena in Florida over Labor Day weekend 1984. That was mild as Elana gave us a glancing blow as she moved north along the Gulf Coast.

The other was Hurricane Jerry in Baytown, TX in October of 1992. I was in Texas on a project at the abandon U.S. Steel plant there. The wind and rain were frightening and epic. I certainly do pray that my friends in Texas and all along the western Gulf Coast stay safe and sound during this God awful storm.

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

And no, the past few winters I haven't seen more than two foot of snow. It's been a while since I've seen anything up to my waist.

Actually, there is a new type of natural disaster that has come our way. With super warm springs and these super northern ice cold fronts out of Canada keeping the lakes frozen and moving the ice, the Great Lakes sometimes throw out Ice Tsunamis for resident's around the Lakes. Scary, beautiful, and deadly. I'd never heard of them till just this last year. They can tear down a whole house. Luckily they move slow enough for you to get out of the way though. :eusa_think:

But still........even in the 'old days'.......did it really snow that much every winter?

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

But still........even in the 'old days'.......did it really snow that much every winter?

Well, I didn't live through it, but I'm just relaying what my father told me. He lived up in the thumb of Michigan, and he told me he can remember it getting that deep. They lived out in farm country. That picture of course, was not of what he remembered. I am only showing a pictorial representation. I really don't think it got that high. He just said, so high they could wire the top of telephone poles. It's hard to find info about historical snow fall amounts on the internet, especially on the internet, because the Great Lakes region has something called "Lake Affect" snow, which means, Green Bay could have a foot and a half, or some small town an hour south of Green Bay could have another three to eight inches more. Buffalo could have two more feet. It all varies. The only thing we will really find in the historical documents saved on-line from history are from the REALLY big papers, Chicago, Green Bay, New York, etc. about snow fall totals, so it is hard to say who remembers what.

Like you, I haven't seen it, and I too am a bit incredulous, I sure as hell hope I never see anything like that. As far as I know? Shit like this only REALLY occurs, as far as getting this deep? I have only seen videos of it, in recent memory? IN Russia. You know what they say about Russia, folks there are nuts. They will live with anything. When I feel bad about the crap I have to deal with? I watch videos of life in Irkutsk. :badgrin:

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

Well, I didn't live through it, but I'm just relaying what my father told me. He lived up in the thumb of Michigan, and he told me he can remember it getting that deep. They lived out in farm country. That picture of course, was not of what he remembered. I am only showing a pictorial representation. I really don't think it got that high. He just said, so high they could wire the top of telephone poles. It's hard to find info about historical snow fall amounts on the internet, especially on the internet, because the Great Lakes region has something called "Lake Affect" snow, which means, Green Bay could have a foot and a half, or some small town an hour south of Green Bay could have another three to eight inches more. Buffalo could have two more feet. It all varies. The only thing we will really find in the historical documents saved on-line from history are from the REALLY big papers, Chicago, Green Bay, New York, etc. about snow fall totals, so it is hard to say who remembers what.

Like you, I haven't seen it, and I too am a bit incredulous, I sure as hell hope I never see anything like that. As far as I know? Shit like this only REALLY occurs, as far as getting this deep? I have only seen videos of it, in recent memory? IN Russia. You know what they say about Russia, folks there are nuts. They will live with anything. When I feel bad about the crap I have to deal with? I watch videos of life in Irkutsk. :badgrin:

Yeah like the 'walking to school 10 miles, uphill both ways and damn thankful to do so' kinda stuff :rolleyes:

I understand about the 'micro' weather systems and historical record weather events. Similar happens here as well. Most historical records are for like Seattle and there is what's called a convergent zone when weather comes off the Pacific, goes around the Olympic mountains to both the north & south and 'Converge' at any point over the mid range of Puget Sound before hitting the Cascades. Yet high & low temps, clouds, rain/snow levels, etc can be completely different within just a few miles. Plus there are even more differences if you're near the Sound, or in a valley or on a hill.

147999.jpg

Good Luck Texas!

Yeah like the 'walking to school 10 miles, uphill both ways and damn thankful to do so' kinda stuff :rolleyes:

I understand about the 'micro' weather systems and historical record weather events. Similar happens here as well. Most historical records are for like Seattle and there is what's called a convergent zone when weather comes off the Pacific, goes around the Olympic mountains to both the north & south and 'Converge' at any point over the mid range of Puget Sound before hitting the Cascades. Yet high & low temps, clouds, rain/snow levels, etc can be completely different within just a few miles. Plus there are even more differences if you're near the Sound, or in a valley or on a hill.

Well, the point is, how do you think I knew how to find that pic? Someone had told me it would be there. So obviously it happens.
baef15c236a2afa0489e775d1d0f9b11.jpg

This one says it's from Russia. ..

snowpoles_brinkman_960.jpg

This one says Upper Michigan. . . .

IOW, they do happen. Or did at one time.

Well, the point is, how do you think I knew how to find that pic? Someone had told me it would be there. So obviously it happens.
baef15c236a2afa0489e775d1d0f9b11.jpg

This one says it's from Russia. ..

snowpoles_brinkman_960.jpg

This one says Upper Michigan. . . .

IOW, they do happen. Or did at one time.

Fuken nuts!!
I remember as a small child walking up the drifts onto the roof of the house when I lived in Pullman Washington.
But that aint due to drifts!!!

Frankly, I don't think snow is shit compared to ice storms.

Yeah, we've had a few of those too *shudder*

Atleast with snow you can get traction.........as long as it's not packed or over ice.........but then, I refuse to drive in either case

Forum List

Back