Hurricane Florence

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Looks like it's gonna hit here in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Anybody else on the shore?

Looks like it's gonna be a hoot. Cat 4.

Everybody around here is already lining up at the grocery store for their milk sandwich supplies.

Everybody around here is already lining up at the grocery store for their milk sandwich supplies.
I've never had a milk sandwich. What's it like?

When is this thing supposed to hit? Why do people buy milk and frozen foods (I've seen them load the cart with them) when they know they're going to be out of power and have no fridge/freezer or oven? I always get pb & j, bread, a couple jugs of water and sardines. I used to get deviled ham, but the Ice Storm of '98 cured me of that.

When is this thing supposed to hit? Why do people buy milk and frozen foods (I've seen them load the cart with them) when they know they're going to be out of power and have no fridge/freezer or oven? I always get pb & j, bread, a couple jugs of water and sardines. I used to get deviled ham, but the Ice Storm of '98 cured me of that.

I dunno. I think it's gonna hit Tuesday or something like that. But usually we get the wind and outer rain a day or so earlier than the eye itself.

I don't think they really make milk sandwiches. It's just that when you go into the store, whenever there's a weather event, the line from the register goes all the way back to the cereal aisle, and it's funny, a lot of the time it's a line full of the husbands who must have been sent out by the wives and they're all usually holding a jug of milk and a loaf of bread. lol.

Anyway. There was already a thread about the storm, but I didn't know it. I saw it after I posted this one.

You're right, though, it doesn't make sense to buy things that will go bad if power is out for a few days. Good thinking. I love sardines. I get the mustard packed ones. pb & j is always a winner, too.

Last edited:

I'm on the upper Chesapeake. We're just going about our normal-normal for the moment. I've got one aunt in South Carolina who drove up over the weekend, and another branch of the family in central Florida who would never budge, even if Godzilla were incoming. Last hurricane to hit, the Florida uncle moved his chickens into one of his bathrooms, hunkered down with them and got drunk. So far the rains we've been having feel like turn-over-to-fall rains. Hopefully everyone keeps safe and inebriated and safely inebriated--with or without the chickens.

I'm on the upper Chesapeake. We're just going about our normal-normal for the moment. I've got one aunt in South Carolina who drove up over the weekend, and another branch of the family in central Florida who would never budge, even if Godzilla were incoming. Last hurricane to hit, the Florida uncle moved his chickens into one of his bathrooms, hunkered down with them and got drunk. So far the rains we've been having feel like turn-over-to-fall rains. Hopefully everyone keeps safe and inebriated and safely inebriated--with or without the chickens.

lol. Drunk with the chickens....

I'm right at the top of the Chesapeake myself, so we're pretty much in the same place. The rain the last couple of days has been pretty steady out of the south west. And you're right, I noticed the same thing about the rain the past couple of days. I was just telling the better half the same thing about this rain. It does have a fall turnover feel to it.

Did you get those really cool winds the last couple of nights? They were refreshing after the long hot summer nights we've had. That bay helps a little bit on this eastern side of it, when the storms come from the west. Especially when it snows.

They are pretty tough down there in Florida. Ha.

The meteorologists are saying it's the strongest hurricane to to hit the mid-atlantic coast in history.

Already getting large swells on the coast line.

I will probably get a couple hours of rainfall out of this, so some sympathy for my struggle will be appreciated as well.

lol. Drunk with the chickens....

I'm right at the top of the Chesapeake myself, so we're pretty much in the same place. The rain the last couple of days has been pretty steady out of the south west. And you're right, I noticed the same thing about the rain the past couple of days. I was just telling the better half the same thing about this rain. It does have a fall turnover feel to it.

Did you get those really cool winds the last couple of nights? They were refreshing after the long hot summer nights we've had. That bay helps a little bit on this eastern side of it, when the storms come from the west. Especially when it snows.

They are pretty tough down there in Florida. Ha.

Yeah, we got those winds. There's around twenty wooded acres right off my back patio, and the wind filtered through there felt quite good. I was out fishing on Saturday, and while the tides were wrong, I was enjoying the breeze. I had wanted to get down to OC to see the storm in, but my better half likes to avoid bad weather and sand. Oh well, the boardwalk will still be there in a couple of weeks--we hope.

I dunno. I think it's gonna hit Tuesday or something like that. But usually we get the wind and outer rain a day or so earlier than the eye itself.

I don't think they really make milk sandwiches. It's just that when you go into the store, whenever there's a weather event, the line from the register goes all the way back to the cereal aisle, and it's funny, a lot of the time it's a line full of the husbands who must have been sent out by the wives and they're all usually holding a jug of milk and a loaf of bread. lol.

Anyway. There was already a thread about the storm, but I didn't know it. I saw it after I posted this one.

You're right, though, it doesn't make sense to buy things that will go bad if power is out for a few days. Good thinking. I love sardines. I get the mustard packed ones. pb & j is always a winner, too.
I had an elderly, lame neighbor who always asked me to go to the grocery store for bread and bologna for him just before a storm hit. The lines were always exactly like you describe, and I of course had thought ahead and didn't need to go myself.

Just before Hurricane Gloria hit Connecticut in '85, you could not find a battery in a store for love or money. Hawkers had bought them all and were selling them for 3x the price on the side of the road. No lie. Sometimes I hate humans.

The only time i have ever seen people flooding the markets was the blizzard of 94 (i think)
I was a wee one but i remember people freaking out. We all lost power and drove to this town down the road. Their motel had generators. They were out of rooms so i slept in a storage room lol. It was basically a normal room with a bunch of chairs and tvs and stuff.
Fun times

I had an elderly, lame neighbor who always asked me to go to the grocery store for bread and bologna for him just before a storm hit. The lines were always exactly like you describe, and I of course had thought ahead and didn't need to go myself.

Just before Hurricane Gloria hit Connecticut in '85, you could not find a battery in a store for love or money. Hawkers had bought them all and were selling them for 3x the price on the side of the road. No lie. Sometimes I hate humans.

Well, good on you for doing the right thing.

Sucks about people doing that, though, agreed.

I stay stocked up on batteries and smokes for when they finally drive the economy into the ground. Heh heh. They're good for trading.

The only time i have ever seen people flooding the markets was the blizzard of 94 (i think)
I was a wee one but i remember people freaking out. We all lost power and drove to this town down the road. Their motel had generators. They were out of rooms so i slept in a storage room lol. It was basically a normal room with a bunch of chairs and tvs and stuff.
Fun times

Blizzard of 96 was really bad out here. It's probably the same one you're talking about. It was about 5 feet deep, right?

I bought 5 bags of ice for Irma. Was without power 5 days. Nothing in the fridges went bad. I still have a couple in 1 freezer. Filled up the bathtub, had a few jugs of water. Ate something or other, I seem to recall tuna salad and a pot of beans n ham that was already cooked. Apparently I made up some block ice in ziplock baggies, too.

Last edited:
Fun times

Blizzard of 96 was really bad out here. It's probably the same one you're talking about. It was about 5 feet deep, right?
Maybe thats what it was. Just solid ice.
Bad storm. b'lieve me

Fun times

Maybe thats what it was. Just solid ice.
Bad storm. b'lieve me

But you could just put food outside if the power went out. Built a fire and melt the ice for water.

(Don't melt the yellow ice)

and that is the advantage of carrying guns....after katrina....some assholes headed down there with ice..trucks of ice selling bags of ice for 20 bucks or so apiece....coon asses got rilesd.....made them give both trucks full of ice to people needing it for free...people doing that deserve what they get...

OldLady

and that is the advantage of carrying guns....after katrina....some assholes headed down there with ice..trucks of ice selling bags of ice for 20 bucks or so apiece....coon asses got rilesd.....made them give both trucks full of ice to people needing it for free...people doing that deserve what they get...

OldLady
I agree! Wish some folks had gotten riled at those bastards who "stole" all the batteries, too, but everyone was too desperate to keep their flashlights and radios working.

Forum List

Back