Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Natural Citizen, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    Looks like it's gonna hit here in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Anybody else on the shore?

Looks like it's gonna be a hoot. Cat 4.

Everybody around here is already lining up at the grocery store for their milk sandwich supplies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,379
    I've never had a milk sandwich. What's it like?

When is this thing supposed to hit? Why do people buy milk and frozen foods (I've seen them load the cart with them) when they know they're going to be out of power and have no fridge/freezer or oven? I always get pb & j, bread, a couple jugs of water and sardines. I used to get deviled ham, but the Ice Storm of '98 cured me of that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Natural Citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    I dunno. I think it's gonna hit Tuesday or something like that. But usually we get the wind and outer rain a day or so earlier than the eye itself.

I don't think they really make milk sandwiches. It's just that when you go into the store, whenever there's a weather event, the line from the register goes all the way back to the cereal aisle, and it's funny, a lot of the time it's a line full of the husbands who must have been sent out by the wives and they're all usually holding a jug of milk and a loaf of bread. lol.

Anyway. There was already a thread about the storm, but I didn't know it. I saw it after I posted this one.

You're right, though, it doesn't make sense to buy things that will go bad if power is out for a few days. Good thinking. I love sardines. I get the mustard packed ones. pb & j is always a winner, too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. night_son

night_son Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I'm on the upper Chesapeake. We're just going about our normal-normal for the moment. I've got one aunt in South Carolina who drove up over the weekend, and another branch of the family in central Florida who would never budge, even if Godzilla were incoming. Last hurricane to hit, the Florida uncle moved his chickens into one of his bathrooms, hunkered down with them and got drunk. So far the rains we've been having feel like turn-over-to-fall rains. Hopefully everyone keeps safe and inebriated and safely inebriated--with or without the chickens.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Natural Citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    lol. Drunk with the chickens....

I'm right at the top of the Chesapeake myself, so we're pretty much in the same place. The rain the last couple of days has been pretty steady out of the south west. And you're right, I noticed the same thing about the rain the past couple of days. I was just telling the better half the same thing about this rain. It does have a fall turnover feel to it.

Did you get those really cool winds the last couple of nights? They were refreshing after the long hot summer nights we've had. That bay helps a little bit on this eastern side of it, when the storms come from the west. Especially when it snows.

They are pretty tough down there in Florida. Ha.

6. Natural Citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    The meteorologists are saying it's the strongest hurricane to to hit the mid-atlantic coast in history.

Already getting large swells on the coast line.

7. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,988
    Good luck to everyone!

8. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,988
    I will probably get a couple hours of rainfall out of this, so some sympathy for my struggle will be appreciated as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. night_son

night_son Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Yeah, we got those winds. There's around twenty wooded acres right off my back patio, and the wind filtered through there felt quite good. I was out fishing on Saturday, and while the tides were wrong, I was enjoying the breeze. I had wanted to get down to OC to see the storm in, but my better half likes to avoid bad weather and sand. Oh well, the boardwalk will still be there in a couple of weeks--we hope.

10. MisterBeale

MisterBeale Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,619
    . . . . The strongest huh?

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1