Hurricane Charley

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Well, I just got back from Punta Gorda last night, and I can honestly tell you that the pictures on TV don't even begin to give you an idea of the destruction I saw. One double-wide trailer was completely thrown on its side, most were destroyed. I saw a truck at a used car lot located probably 2 miles from any water, and the truck had a buoy jammed up under it! The scariest thing I saw was a palm tree with the post of a stop sign slammed completely through it!

It's so surreal though. You walk through the neighborhood that was perfect two days earlier and is now 3/4 destroyed. It actually smells like rotten, water-logged wood, you can SMELL the destruction. The whole time I was there, news choppers were hovering over us at least two at a time. The whole thing is just too overwhelming to even process.

My parents are doing alright, all things considered. I guess right now, all my parents (Jack and Laurie, for those who don't know) can do is wait and do what work they can. They'll come out of this alright, and I already made them promise to come stay up here for a little while, just to get away from all that crap down there. But, like I said, they're resilient people, they'll get through this. Their friends are getting back into town in the next day or 2, so at least they won't be alone. Luckily, the surrounding towns have electricity, so they can at least go down there when they need a good meal or something.

PS: everyone shop at Albertson's if you have one by you. They donated a ton of water, food, and soda to my parents' park, which was greatly appreciated.

Well, I left last friday to go visit my parents for what I thought would be a nice week-long vacation! Definitely not a trip I'll soon forget!

Dan,

Even though we've been speaking of your parents and I've spoken to them, this extends to you too! I know they'll get through this, but it sucks anyway!

If ya'll need anything don't forget I have vacation next week and have a great strong back.

And a guest room 500 miles away if you need a break!

Moi said:
Dan,

Even though we've been speaking of your parents and I've spoken to them, this extends to you too! I know they'll get through this, but it sucks anyway!

If ya'll need anything don't forget I have vacation next week and have a great strong back.

And a guest room 500 miles away if you need a break!

Hey Moi,

I could use a break, does this include sister-in-laws??????
:p:

And Dan,

Glad to see you made it back home safely - I could only imagine what it was like being there rather than seeing on the news, but I don't even know if I would have wanted to. I try to remember Punta Gorda the way it was when I was there, and hope that things somehow will get back to that. Dad did say that John and his Wife are there now and I am sure that will give them a little in the way of comfort with someone else to share this with. They brought supplies with them and food, just too bad a shower couldn't be given somehow, that has got to be the toughest too.

Dan,I know your mom and dad will pull through. All you guys seem like a great family and I'm sure you all have what it takes to get by. After the media goes away,we will still be thinkin of all of you!!

Moi said:
You know it! Besides, you are a great cook and can keep me in the style to which I'd like to become accustomed. :thewave:

I am not too sure about great cook, I try anyway. I do enjoy it, but I think we have to adopt Mtnbiker to do the cooking for us! :) But thanks! I think a roadtrip is in order soon! make sure a bottle of wine, or stronger, and I will do the cooking!

New Topics

Forum List

Back