Hungry Koreans

Discussion in 'Asia' started by AtlantaWalter, Feb 14, 2004.

1. AtlantaWalter

AtlantaWalter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Food runs out for 6 million North Koreans
    By Joe McDonald, AP Writer, in Beijing
    10 February 2004

The UN's food agency made an emergency appeal for aid for North Korea yesterday, saying that its supplies were nearly exhausted and it would have to stop sending food to almost all the 6.5 million people it feeds.

Masood Hyder, a representative from the World Food Programme (WFP), said the agency would be able to feed 100,000 people, mostly women and children, over the next two months. "A food crisis is on us at the wrong time," he said. The agency is trying to feed almost a third of the North's 23 million people.

Countries including the United States and Russia have pledged thousands of tons of grain and other food since the WFP warned late last year that its supplies were running low. Butshipments will not start arriving until late March.

"We are trying all emergency measures ... including asking whether the [North Korean] government itself can give us a short-term loan," said Mr Hyder. It is not clear how much food the secretive Stalinist dictatorship has in its stockpiles.

There is mounting tension over the North's nuclear programme. Diplomats from the US, North and South Korea, China, Japan and Russia will meet in two weeks in Beijing for their second round of talks. The US is sending 38,000 tons of grain. Although foreign donors are making a "valiant effort" to separate politics from aid decisions, international tension "certainly affects humanitarian assistance", Mr Hyder said.

He said that he did not expect mass fatalities, but that malnutrition would surge among North Koreans whose daily rations of about 500g of food was the bare minimum. He could not confirm reports that North Koreans were reduced to eating bark.

I'm thinking that surely the civilian population far outnumbers the someodd 1,000,000 man army that Korea possesses, so when will the populace get sick and tired of being on the short end of the stick while their country spends billions on defense but relys on the outside world to feed its' people. Why do they put up with such foolishness? The purpose of government is to see to the needs of its' citizens and I think that just maybe feeding them comes before continuing to build up military forces.

2. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    bread riots anyone? :D

3. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am quite sure that if the short , funny looking , Lil man with the wierd hair style would give up the nukes that all of the people besides him will be able to have food to eat....

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the little commie bastards, I really do !

(anyone remember which movie that was from ?)

5. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    was it MASH???

6. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    NO !

Another hint :

"You have born to kill on your helmet and a peacesign on your jacket, what is that some kind of sick joke ?"

7. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no clue!!!

8. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Full Metal Jacket !!!!

9. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I knew that one. That was a good movie.

10. evancity2

evancity2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is a whole big mess and the NK gov. does not care about its people that much. The same thing happened to Russia when they forgot about their environment and their people and looked for military power and recorses to enrichen their econimy. Only they didn't notice that it was Communism that was weakening their economy. This is an exaple of a more dramatic case, but it shows the same thing. Also, you guys, this is a political chat room, not a movie disscusion. Lets make the world better.