Hungry Children

Kaylie and Tyler talk about what it is like to be poor in America - and to sometimes go hungry...
:eek:
The children going hungry in America
6 March 2013 - Child poverty in the US has reached record levels, with almost 17 million children now affected. A growing number are also going hungry on a daily basis.
Food is never far from the thoughts of 10-year-old Kaylie Haywood and her older brother Tyler, 12. At a food bank in Stockton, Iowa, they are arguing with their mother over the 15 items they are allowed to take with them. There is little money to go shopping for extras. Apple sauce is in, canned vegetables, tinned spaghetti, meatballs and ravioli might be. But when Kaylie asks for ground beef, she is overruled as their motel room does not have a fridge to keep things fresh - just a sink filled with crushed ice. There's nowhere to cook, either.

It's not the first time that the family has struggled to get hold of the food they would like - or enough of it. "We don't get three meals a day like breakfast, lunch and then dinner," says Kaylie. "When I feel hungry I feel sad and droopy." Kaylie and Tyler live with their mother Barbara, who used to work in a factory. After losing her job, she was entitled to unemployment benefit and food stamps - this comes to $1,480 (£974) a month. But they were no longer able afford to live in their house, which along with bills cost $1326 (£873) a month, leaving little for food or petrol.

_66203270_kaylie_tyler.jpg

Kaylie supplemented their income by collecting cans along the railway track near their old home - earning between two and five cents per can. Tyler also helped out: "For mowing other people's lawns, I got $10 and I put in six of it for the gas, and gave the rest to my mum for some food." Instead of shopping at the mall, Kaylie's clothes come from the Salvation Army shop where, to her embarrassment, 60-cent shirts are allowed, but those costing $2 are "too much". One of their two dogs, Nala, has had to be taken to the pound to cut the bills further. Rent on the motel room is around $700 (£460) a month, but trying to balance the budget has meant sacrifices.

Tyler says there are good days and bad days: "Sometimes when we have cereal we don't have milk - we have to eat it dry." "Sometimes we don't have cereal and we have milk. Sometimes when there's a cooking show on I get a little more hungry - I want to vanish into the screen and start eating the food." The family are among the 47 million Americans now thought to depend on food banks. One in five children receives food aid. In the area where Kaylie and Tyler live, one provider - River Bend Foodbank - has seen the numbers needing help rise sharply.

More BBC News - The children going hungry in America

What is the matter with those lazy children? Get a job!

Ohh wait government regulations will not let them get a job.

It was probably filmed in Wales. The United States has a larger problem with obesity in poor childen than starvation.

Kaylie and Tyler talk about what it is like to be poor in America - and to sometimes go hungry...
:eek:
The children going hungry in America
6 March 2013 - Child poverty in the US has reached record levels, with almost 17 million children now affected. A growing number are also going hungry on a daily basis.
Food is never far from the thoughts of 10-year-old Kaylie Haywood and her older brother Tyler, 12. At a food bank in Stockton, Iowa, they are arguing with their mother over the 15 items they are allowed to take with them. There is little money to go shopping for extras. Apple sauce is in, canned vegetables, tinned spaghetti, meatballs and ravioli might be. But when Kaylie asks for ground beef, she is overruled as their motel room does not have a fridge to keep things fresh - just a sink filled with crushed ice. There's nowhere to cook, either.

It's not the first time that the family has struggled to get hold of the food they would like - or enough of it. "We don't get three meals a day like breakfast, lunch and then dinner," says Kaylie. "When I feel hungry I feel sad and droopy." Kaylie and Tyler live with their mother Barbara, who used to work in a factory. After losing her job, she was entitled to unemployment benefit and food stamps - this comes to $1,480 (£974) a month. But they were no longer able afford to live in their house, which along with bills cost $1326 (£873) a month, leaving little for food or petrol.

_66203270_kaylie_tyler.jpg

Kaylie supplemented their income by collecting cans along the railway track near their old home - earning between two and five cents per can. Tyler also helped out: "For mowing other people's lawns, I got $10 and I put in six of it for the gas, and gave the rest to my mum for some food." Instead of shopping at the mall, Kaylie's clothes come from the Salvation Army shop where, to her embarrassment, 60-cent shirts are allowed, but those costing $2 are "too much". One of their two dogs, Nala, has had to be taken to the pound to cut the bills further. Rent on the motel room is around $700 (£460) a month, but trying to balance the budget has meant sacrifices.

Tyler says there are good days and bad days: "Sometimes when we have cereal we don't have milk - we have to eat it dry." "Sometimes we don't have cereal and we have milk. Sometimes when there's a cooking show on I get a little more hungry - I want to vanish into the screen and start eating the food." The family are among the 47 million Americans now thought to depend on food banks. One in five children receives food aid. In the area where Kaylie and Tyler live, one provider - River Bend Foodbank - has seen the numbers needing help rise sharply.

More BBC News - The children going hungry in America
Hunger children in the US is less of a problem than the fear created by not knowing if there will be food for the next meal. Kids pick this up from their parents. Often kids will refuse to eat, feeling that they're causing the problem. It's a pretty sad situation. It's not the kids fault of course, but they still suffer.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back