Hundreds who posted views on sex assault trial targeted in Tarrant suit

The answer is: it depends. Sorry, I'm a lawyer. You can't have a straight answer....LOL.

It would depend on the story in the paper and what it said. Whether you were in the paper all time or otherwise some person in the public eye. Then it would depend on what the people said that was negative and how they said it.

would also depend on whether he's a public figure or, as in the case of a criminal defendant in a high profile trial, a limited public figure. and whether they knew or should have known what they were saying was untrue and were intentionally defamatory.

Good point Jillian. I mentioned the "public figure" in saying "in the public eye" (I was trying to make it layman friendly) but you are right in the untrue and intentionally defamatory points. And I didn't mention the "limited public figure" point. Thanks

you were doing fine.

just thought i'd put in my .02 ;)

The answer is: it depends. Sorry, I'm a lawyer. You can't have a straight answer....LOL.

It would depend on the story in the paper and what it said. Whether you were in the paper all time or otherwise some person in the public eye. Then it would depend on what the people said that was negative and how they said it.

would also depend on whether he's a public figure or, as in the case of a criminal defendant in a high profile trial, a limited public figure. and whether they knew or should have known what they were saying was untrue and were intentionally defamatory.
Thanks for explaining that, Jillian. I was starting to worry that Ann Coulter might be thinking of suing me.

:eusa_angel:

truth is a defense. :lol::eusa_angel:

except in England. :eek:

its an odd system of justice...but the mouthpiece is right...you got to be careful..the fucking asshole murderer can stall a trail for years....(4)...hoping that it will resolve itsself...sue the police for using copyrighted photos as evidence...change mouthpieces as needed to get a trail extentions...now get this...last move...was to say he had been denied due process by the trail not coming about sooner...every postponement had been requested by the defense...he was allowed to have website to raise money for his defense...he continued to live at home...yet when i did several posts on him...he did threaten me with a suit...i was harming his business....blah blah blah...but the sob was found guilty and now i have no cares...but i assure you..there are consequences for what you do and say on the net....my actions did go more than a messageboard and were not done in secret...i used my full legal name...had he been found innocent...i could be up to my ears in legal fees.

It's interesting. Does this forum have a position/concern about internet libel and lawsuits? Free speech includes the freedom to get sued for your speech--even 'anonymous' speech.

No idea about this forum but I would guess that if you were posting under your real name or your real name was common knowledge on that message board, you might have a tiny case.

Forum List

Back