Hummus!

I've been making my own for years. It's great to experiment with different ingredients and spices.
I get a bit pissed at the Mrs. when she buys it at the grocery- at four times the cost.

But tonight I finally hit on the ultimate recipe. My best yet. It fucking kicks ass. :thup:

1 can chick peas drained
Juice of 1 (count 'em, one) lemon
Pinch of salt
Two garlic cloves crushed in one of those garlic smashy things
3 tablespoons sesame tahini
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each of:
turmeric
curry powder
ground cumin
and...

...the secret ingredient.

No one asked me about the "secret ingredient". :(

lol what is it?

Gravity----don't let him screw your mind-----the secret is NEVER USE CANNED CHICKPEAS ---also----a few drops of toasted sesame oil does WONDERS. Also----if you got some jarred olives-----use the juice therein instead of lemon -----
I like to cook the peas in very scant water (on a very low flame for a very long time) that way you get a kind of bean
jell which if you wisk up with the tahini -----comes out creamy-----AND paprika is nice-----smoked paprika even better. Another issue----it its not chick peas ----it's not HUMMUS-------Hummus means chick peas-----uhm----
in ancient Amharic---and Aramaic and-----Hebrew (well---
Arabic too. <<<<<phooey) he left out the HEAT------I cook up the chick peas with a dried chili pepper thrown in----or---you can add siracha------or a fresh chili pepper. (if he says
that the secret ingredient is peanut butter----do what you will with him) When its all done----spread it nicely on a plate and decorate with olives, drops of oil and sprinkle on a bit of paprika ----FOR BEAUTY

I forgot to mention------roasted red peppers-----if you happen
to have some-----or if you are willing to char and peel them----
throw them in the processor together with the chick peas---
like----one or two

lol what is it?

Gravity----don't let him screw your mind-----the secret is NEVER USE CANNED CHICKPEAS ---also----a few drops of toasted sesame oil does WONDERS. Also----if you got some jarred olives-----use the juice therein instead of lemon -----
I like to cook the peas in very scant water (on a very low flame for a very long time) that way you get a kind of bean
jell which if you wisk up with the tahini -----comes out creamy-----AND paprika is nice-----smoked paprika even better. Another issue----it its not chick peas ----it's not HUMMUS-------Hummus means chick peas-----uhm----
Arabic too. <<<<<phooey) he left out the HEAT------I cook up the chick peas with a dried chili pepper thrown in----or---you can add siracha------or a fresh chili pepper. (if he says
that the secret ingredient is peanut butter----do what you will with him) When its all done----spread it nicely on a plate and decorate with olives, drops of oil and sprinkle on a bit of paprika ----FOR BEAUTY
I'll remember that sesame oil suggestion. Thanks. :thup:

Nah, I'm not screwing with anyone LOL. The final ingredient I used was 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder. This was my best batch yet. BAM!

Canned chickpeas and prepared from raw chickpeas I think are indistinguishable. Besides it's a pain in the ass to soak then cook chickpeas.

lol what is it?

I'll remember that sesame oil suggestion. Thanks. :thup:

Nah, I'm not screwing with anyone LOL. The final ingredient I used was 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder. This was my best batch yet. BAM!

Canned chickpeas and prepared from raw chickpeas I think are indistinguishable. Besides it's a pain in the ass to soak then cook chickpeas.

no comparison------YOU need not soak the chickpeas----just
leave them in water and they are happy to soak themselves----here is the drill------cold water -----in the evening----in the morning ----big pot-----not a whole lot of water----they have already IMBIBED-------very low flame-----I have a special
tiny flame on my gas stove ------which I use like a slow cooker----or if you are SO LUCKY as to own a slow cooker---
use that-----SET IT AND FORGET IT (remember that idiot
commercial?)-----CAUTION !!!!!! do not go overboard on the
toasted sesame oil-------it can be even worse than too much
cumin-----drops

Have you ever been around any Koreans?

They must eat garlic like it was an apple!!! :eek

Man they reek of the smell !!!!!
As a former Merchant Marine, I can tell you, all coastal Asians have that funky smell.

I thought it was from dried squid.

Have you ever been around any Koreans?

They must eat garlic like it was an apple!!! :eek

Man they reek of the smell !!!!!
As a former Merchant Marine, I can tell you, all coastal Asians have that funky smell.

I thought it was from dried squid.

there are some things that people eat that does ooze from their pores--------one of them is-----?? asofoetida-------some people seem to smell of it-------it is a weird herb used in
cooking. Long ago I did read something about the use of
lots of dairy (ie milk) which orientals DON't do which makes
us milk drinkers smell lousy to them. What is "Asians"-----it's a big continent

My brother once smoked some chicken on the grill using freshly-cut mesquite.

We sweat out that shit for DAYS.

OH---that is kinda interesting. mesquite does have a striking scent------uhm-------I never SMOKED (anything---in any form--
except one drag on a cigarette as a child and I coughed for
a week.) -------maybe one should not use freshly cut wood
for smoking ????? I have no idea. --------that stuff shoots out CREOSOTE-----which clogs up chimneys-----imagine what it could do to your windpipe

My brother once smoked some chicken on the grill using freshly-cut mesquite.

We sweat out that shit for DAYS.

OH---that is kinda interesting. mesquite does have a striking scent------uhm-------I never SMOKED (anything---in any form--
except one drag on a cigarette as a child and I coughed for
a week.) -------maybe one should not use freshly cut wood
for smoking ????? I have no idea. --------that stuff shoots out CREOSOTE-----which clogs up chimneys-----imagine what it could do to your windpipe
Maybe it was dried/aged chips. I don't remember. That was over 20 years ago LOL.

Forum List

Back