Hummingbird

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
Yesterday, my 3.83 year old son said "Daddy, there's a bumble bee in the garage."

So, being a big, brave daddy, I decided to check it out...

...and found that a hummingbird had gotten lost in our garage and was trying to escape through the windows above the garage doors.

I took this picture after climbing up a stepladder and prior to gently grabbing him, and releasing him.

I'd never seen one that wasn't flying.

xotoxi-albums-images-picture291-hummingbird.jpg

Hummingbirds are so cool. I took pictures of them for almost a whole summer back in 2008. Here's one of my favorites.

Attachments

• $Hummers (26).JPG
    $Hummers (26).JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 55
Very nice thank you!

Attachments

• $Humming bird 1.jpg
    $Humming bird 1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 58
Yesterday, my 3.83 year old son said "Daddy, there's a bumble bee in the garage."

...and found that a hummingbird had gotten lost in our garage and was trying to escape through the windows above the garage doors.

I took this picture after climbing up a stepladder and prior to gently grabbing him, and releasing him.

His little beak is caught in Charlottes Web!

Um X? The bird called to say he was dissatisfied with the pic because his eye was close and he felt you didn't get his best 'bird face'. :D

Unbelievable shot.

His little beak is caught in Charlottes Web!

Actually when I was gently grabbing him/her with gardening gloves, he squeaked several times, so I let go and he started flying towards the window...and actually got stuck in the cobwebs. That is how I was able to capture him and bring him outside.

The hummingbird is in no danger from it's beak being in the spider web. Hummingbirds often use spider webs when they make their nest. I'm no hummingbird expert, or anything like that, but I've done a lot of reading about them. I also photographed them just about all summer back in 2006 and 2007. Hummingbirds do perch on tree branches and on feeders often because it takes a lot of energy to keep those wings going so fast. Most often you see them as the hover around a flower or a feeder but if you watch them closely enough you will see them go someplace and perch for a while after they feed. Here is a photo I took of one perched on our hummingbird feeder.

Attachments

• $Hummers (21).JPG
    $Hummers (21).JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 61

Forum List

Back