Humility

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I mentioned on another thread that I needed a lesson in humility. I went on an internet forum, tooting my own horn about what a great Dungeon Master I am, and encountered incredible hostility and insults. I responded with insults, and ultimately got banned from the forum.

This might not seem a big deal to you, but to me it was. I was otherwise in a very foul mood, and this made manners worse. It made me realize finally, that I need to get back right with God, and start going back to Church, and praying on a regular basis, and stop certain sins I have been doing on a regular basis.

Anyway, the first Mass I went to was on Sunday, and the Old Testament reading and the New Testament reading were both about the virtue of humility. And then the deacon gave a sermon about humility.

There are very few people in our society outside the Christian faith who talk about humility. Humility is not on the platform of either of the two major political parties, it is not in the mission statement of any of the Fortune 500 corporations, and on TV, movies, news programs and the internet, you will find very little mention of humility as a concept.

In fact, it is very much part of the all-American character to toot your own horn and let everyone know how great you are. We are a nation of explorers, inventors, scientists, and we have sent men to the Moon and back, and why shouldn't we be proud of that?

But I realized last week that I had taken pride in self too far, and it had become sinfully excessive.

So I have resolved from here on out to avoid this sin. It will be very difficult for me.

Good on ya. Taking stock and doing a reset is usually a wise course.

Best of luck with it. Who stays on a track of humility is already exalted.

My Grandma, who was a preacher, used to say that D&D was the work of Satan. I'm just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

I wish you success in your efforts. Practicing humility doesn't mean you have to cower from every confrontational situation. It just means you don't unnecessarily cause those situations.

Forum List

Back