Humiliation, fasting, and prayer

This part has always struck me as completely bizzaro:

We are fasting and praying for:

1) Gods will [sic] to be done

--- Let's assume this is supposed to mean "God's will" (the will of a monotheism "God") and not "the will of an indeterminate number of gods" --- why on earth or elsewhere would it ever be necessary to "pray" for God to do its own will? If "God" exists as described ........... then isn't it going to do whatever it wants by definition? How on earth could "God" be prevented from doing its own will, to the extent that it needed help from humanity to convince itself to do and be what it already does and is in the first place?

:eusa_think:

I'm only responding because you put the smilie there :eusa_think:. Figured it was a serious question. The reason we pray to God is because in a free election we have free will. That means humans can mess it up like they messed up paradise. They could vote for the wrong candidate. They could vote illegally. They could not vote. As for humiliation, you've seen the political commercials, ads and what the ex-Hollywood celebs have done. It doesn't make sense to take your clothes off to state a public service announcement if it doesn't make you want to vote, but puke.

handlerheader-420x315.png

"Vote like your life depended on it." C. Handler

I don't know or care who that is and the post has nothing to do with elections. It's asking why we (or anybody) would need to PRAY that "God's will be done", since "God" by definition is already going to do its will regardless what anybody wants. What would the alternative be? That "God" didn't do its will because not enough humans "prayed" for it?

It just doesn't add up.

God gives us free will. So we can choose not to follow Gods will.

When you understand that it makes perfect sense. That’s why Jesus taught us to pray for God’s will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

OK I'm going to put this same question another way in hopes of getting an answer that is an answer and not doubletalk.

IF we stipulate that "God" is all-powerful.......

THEN that means that "God's will" --- simply will be done. There's no other possibility, because if "God's will" is not done, then that means something more powerful than "God" is preventing it. And that in turn means that "God" does not exist as described. But if we have already stipulated that "God" is all-powerful, it is impossible, by definition, for its "will" to not get done.

THEREFORE that "God's will" WILL be done is a foregone conclusion.

Now...

IF the above is a foregone conclusion....

THEN what's the point of "praying" for the inevitable?

--- Let's assume this is supposed to mean "God's will" (the will of a monotheism "God") and not "the will of an indeterminate number of gods" --- why on earth or elsewhere would it ever be necessary to "pray" for God to do its own will? If "God" exists as described ........... then isn't it going to do whatever it wants by definition? How on earth could "God" be prevented from doing its own will, to the extent that it needed help from humanity to convince itself to do and be what it already does and is in the first place?

I'm only responding because you put the smilie there :eusa_think:. Figured it was a serious question. The reason we pray to God is because in a free election we have free will. That means humans can mess it up like they messed up paradise. They could vote for the wrong candidate. They could vote illegally. They could not vote. As for humiliation, you've seen the political commercials, ads and what the ex-Hollywood celebs have done. It doesn't make sense to take your clothes off to state a public service announcement if it doesn't make you want to vote, but puke.

I don't know or care who that is and the post has nothing to do with elections. It's asking why we (or anybody) would need to PRAY that "God's will be done", since "God" by definition is already going to do its will regardless what anybody wants. What would the alternative be? That "God" didn't do its will because not enough humans "prayed" for it?

It just doesn't add up.

When you understand that it makes perfect sense. That’s why Jesus taught us to pray for God’s will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

OK I'm going to put this same question another way in hopes of getting an answer that is an answer and not doubletalk.

THEN that means that "God's will" --- simply will be done. There's no other possibility, because if "God's will" is not done, then that means something more powerful than "God" is preventing it. And that in turn means that "God" does not exist as described. But if we have already stipulated that "God" is all-powerful, it is impossible, by definition, for its "will" to not get done.

Now...

MLK responds...

We are never to think of God's power in terms of what he could conceivably do by the exercise of what we may call sheer omnipotence which crushes all obtacles in its path. We are always to think of God's power in terms of his purpose. If what he did by sheer omnipotence defeated his purpose, then, however startling and impressive, it would be an expression of weakness, not of power. Indeed, a good definition of power is "ability to achieve purpose. This applies to the power of a gun, or a drug, or an argument, or even a sermon! Does it achieve its end? Does it fulfill its purpose?

We must realize that God's power is not put forward to get certain things done, but to get them done in a certain way, and with certain results in the lives of those who do them. We can see this clearly in human illustrations. My purpose in doing a crossword puzzle is not to fill in certain words. I could fill them in easily by waiting for tomorrow morning's paper. Filling them in without the answers is harder but much more satisfying, for it calls out resourcefulness, ingenuity, and discipline which by the easier way would find no self expression.
Similarly, to borrow an illustration from William James, eleven men battle desperately on a field, risking falling and injury, using up a prodigious amount of energy, and when we ask why, we learn that it is to get an inflated, leather covered sphere called a football across a goal. But if that is all, why doesn't someone get up in the night and put it there? Football games are not played to get a ball across a goal, but to get it there under certain conditions, in a certain way, with certain results in the lives of those concerned. Power to get the ball across the goal is to be interpreted in terms of purposes and only makes sense in the light of those purposes. Action, then, which defeats purpose is weakness. Power is the ability to fulfill purpose. No one knows what it cost God to refrain from intervention when wicked men put his beloved Son to death. But the restraint was not weakness. The Cross became the power of God unto salvation.

It just doesn't add up.

Now...

MLK responds...

We are never to think of God's power in terms of what he could conceivably do by the exercise of what we may call sheer omnipotence which crushes all obtacles in its path. We are always to think of God's power in terms of his purpose. If what he did by sheer omnipotence defeated his purpose, then, however startling and impressive, it would be an expression of weakness, not of power. Indeed, a good definition of power is "ability to achieve purpose. This applies to the power of a gun, or a drug, or an argument, or even a sermon! Does it achieve its end? Does it fulfill its purpose?

We must realize that God's power is not put forward to get certain things done, but to get them done in a certain way, and with certain results in the lives of those who do them. We can see this clearly in human illustrations. My purpose in doing a crossword puzzle is not to fill in certain words. I could fill them in easily by waiting for tomorrow morning's paper. Filling them in without the answers is harder but much more satisfying, for it calls out resourcefulness, ingenuity, and discipline which by the easier way would find no self expression.
Similarly, to borrow an illustration from William James, eleven men battle desperately on a field, risking falling and injury, using up a prodigious amount of energy, and when we ask why, we learn that it is to get an inflated, leather covered sphere called a football across a goal. But if that is all, why doesn't someone get up in the night and put it there? Football games are not played to get a ball across a goal, but to get it there under certain conditions, in a certain way, with certain results in the lives of those concerned. Power to get the ball across the goal is to be interpreted in terms of purposes and only makes sense in the light of those purposes. Action, then, which defeats purpose is weakness. Power is the ability to fulfill purpose. No one knows what it cost God to refrain from intervention when wicked men put his beloved Son to death. But the restraint was not weakness. The Cross became the power of God unto salvation.

aaaaaaaaaaaand I got another doubletalk instead of an answer.

It just doesn't add up.

Now...

MLK responds...

It made perfect sense to me. Given that you dismissed it without basis, I'd say it did to you too.

It just doesn't add up.

Now...

MLK responds...

It made perfect sense to me. Given that you dismissed it without basis, I'd say it did to you too.

The base question is "why". As in, "for what purpose".

That's OK. I already know there's no answer to the question. It's not there to be answered, it's there to get somebody to admit it can't be answered and therefore the original plea makes no sense.

Now...

MLK responds...

The base question is "why". As in, "for what purpose".

That's OK. I already know there's no answer to the question. It's not there to be answered, it's there to get somebody to admit it can't be answered and therefore the original plea makes no sense.
Because it is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence.

IF we stipulate that "God" is all-powerful......
"All-powerful" may not be the best adjective. "Most-powerful" or "Unlimited power" should also be considered. Most powerful may be more accurate, because it allows others to have power, while still retaining most. Do you consider "All-powerful" to mean no one else has any power at all?

"All-powerful" may not be the best adjective. "Most-powerful" or "Unlimited power" should also be considered. Most powerful may be more accurate, because it allows others to have power, while still retaining most. Do you consider "All-powerful" to mean no one else has any power at all?

No. I consider it to mean the entity has the capability to do whatever it wants without restrictions.

Therefore, if such an entity wants something, it's done. The only way it would not be done would be if there were some restriction on that entity's power. But if we're stipulating that that restriction does not exist, then there's nothing preventing that "God's will" from getting done. And that means whether we pray for it, pray against it, or don't pray at all. Kind of like the electoral college.

Therefore, what, the question was, could possibly be the point of praying that "God's will be done"? That's already a foregone conclusion; it is by definition impossible for the will of "God", as described, to not be done.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this election tomorrow. And I encourage everyone to go vote if you haven’t.

I wanted to invite everyone to consider doing a day of humiliation, fasting, and prayer tomorrow for our nation. I don’t care what side you are on or if you are on any. But we need the Lord’s blessing on our nation. So I encourage everyone to humble yourselves before the Lord. And then pray and fast for at least part of the day tomorrow if you physically can. If you can’t fast from food for medical reasons fast from social media or tv or something to show unity.

1) Gods will to be done no matter the outcome tomorrow

2) unity instead of disunity

3) healing the pain, anger, and divisions among us.

4) for the ability to truly love those that we consider our enemies and that hate us.

We need divine power if we’re going to unite and stay strong as a nation
Self flagellation was foolish during the European Dark Ages and it would be useless now as well.

You must really have some kind of guilt trip put onto you by someone.

What is it? Catholic? Protestant? JW? Morman?

No. I consider it to mean the entity has the capability to do whatever it wants without restrictions.

Therefore, if such an entity wants something, it's done. The only way it would not be done would be if there were some restriction on that entity's power. But if we're stipulating that that restriction does not exist, then there's nothing preventing that "God's will" from getting done. And that means whether we pray for it, pray against it, or don't pray at all. Kind of like the electoral college.

Therefore, what, the question was, could possibly be the point of praying that "God's will be done"? That's already a foregone conclusion; it is by definition impossible for the will of "God", as described, to not be done.
God lives in a galaxy far away.

He does not have time to waste on humans.

Read "Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scruton.

Leibnitz stated that God did the best he could making the Earth and Universe.

God is not infallible.

God needs us.

It just doesn't add up.

To other responses:

American citizens practicing humility would do more to heal us and unify us than any policy the government can conceive.

Atheists are free to participate or not. Prayers can call blessings upon them as much as anyone else in our society.

God blesses the heathen and the saint
The Earth is like a test for humans.

The next step is Heaven or Hell.

There are many jobs in either place.

Nancy Pelosi will take over the U.S. House.

The Senate will end up as a tie and VP Pence will need to start voting there.

Trump has thoroughly screwed the GOP.

God's got nothing to do with politics.

Self flagellation won't change anything.

How do you factor in God's will being free choice for us?

God lives in a galaxy far away.

He does not have time to waste on humans.

Read "Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scruton.

"He"?

Oboy, can-o-worms #2.

Diga me hombre ---- who is the "she" that makes it a "he"?

How do you factor in God's will being free choice for us?

There's no such thing. If one accepts the definition of "God" ----- then "we" are irrelevant.

There's no such thing. If one accepts the definition of "God" ----- then "we" are irrelevant.
We are relevant. God is most powerful. We do have choice. I don't see how those three in anyway undermine God.

I like the part about "Gods will". Includes the polytheists.

But the whole "humiliation" thing is a perverse bag of crap. Have some self-respect.

There's no way in the world I'm going to go hungry and think it's gonna influence anything but my own hunger. So-called 'social' (antisocial) media and TV are already not in my sphere of existence so that shit is already shunned.

I’m pretty sure he simply meant humble yourself by that. He just phrased it in a different way.

Forum List

Back