Humble Pie Anyone?

The ability to know the difference from humiliation (negative self awareness) and humbleness (lacking but seeking enlightenment).

Last edited:
Finding out no one is going to wait around for the opinion of a guy who lives on 400 bucks a month , in the city park trying to pick fights with strangers to prove how tough he is ?

humble is something we do not see too much anymore...most people are out there to prove how tough, how brash, how loud they can be....humble....

humble is quiet...calm....humble is knowing who and what you are...and accepting it....humble is the daily quiet struggle to become a better person

He made me think. Now I have a headache.

Sorry about the headache Grace.

One definition that I've heard (and used a bit before my current definition), is thus.....

"Humility isn't thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less."

The ability to know the difference from humiliation (negative self awareness) and humbleness (lacking but seeking enlightenment).

That right there is one of the better definitions that I've heard incidentally, but it's not quite what I had in mind.

Finding out no one is going to wait around for the opinion of a guy who lives on 400 bucks a month , in the city park trying to pick fights with strangers to prove how tough he is ?

Question.........if I lived in the city park, where the fuck would I hook up my cable and internet to answer morons like you Fisted Nutz.

From a faith based perspective, I know that I always have room to grow in humility, as I fall short at it.

I'd say it's partly being a servant to others. Also to be able to confess we do wrong and apologize to others. Not looking "down" on others for anything, that includes outward appearancs, intelligence, material possessions, etc. That doesn't mean we don't stand for the truth or justice, however. But being able to take criticism and also, to overlook offenses from others, as we know we can fall short also.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves (Philippians 2:3).

Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble (1 Peter 5:5).

Let's play an interesting game................

Define Humility as you see it. I'll give my answer after 3 pages.

It is knowing exactly who and what you are, knowing your worth and value, what knowledge you posses and abilities you have....and not broadcasting it to the world or needing and wanting any type of recognition or thanks.

It is knowing exactly who and what you are, knowing your worth and value, what knowledge you posses and abilities you have....and not broadcasting it to the world or needing and wanting any type of recognition or thanks.

Nice definition Syrenn, but it's missing one small part about meekness.

Nice definition Syrenn, but it's missing one small part about meekness.

meekness is not humble

Oh lord -

its hard to be humble when you're perfect in everyway. :eusa_whistle:

Humility is the ability to withhold judgment, to allow others to shine, to think and act not so much in your own best interests as in the best interests of those around you...and to be willing to do it without fanfare or even acknowledgement.

It's seeing yourself as no better than the most downtrodden and insignificant people, and being thankful for those things which elevate humans and give them joy...and at the same time, being accepting of the events and turns of life that beat us down.

I just learned myself what meekness is (even after reading the Bible for about 10 years) I used to think it meant "weak". It doesn't. It means to be submissive.. so I'd say yeah, that would be part of humility, wouldn't it?

Humility is the ability to withhold judgment, to allow others to shine, to think and act not so much in your own best interests as in the best interests of those around you...and to be willing to do it without fanfare or even acknowledgement.

It's seeing yourself as no better than the most downtrodden and insignificant people, and being thankful for those things which elevate humans and give them joy...and at the same time, being accepting of the events and turns of life that beat us down.

"being accepting of the events and turns of life that beat us down"... I never even thought of that...I struggle with that one at times.

Forum List

Back