Humans Are not made to travel into Space. Its a waste of Money.

While we do need to learn how to travel eventually, there are more pressing matters at home right now. I think it's fine just to use machines for quite a while.

We should explore for the sake of exploration. That is in our genes, literally. We should try to learn as much as we can about the universe for the sake of knowledge itself. That is what makes us human.

Nah, that's a stupid waste of money. Stupidity is not hereditary, but IQ and lack of is.

We are better off investing in a new Hubble Telescope

Many studies have shown that space travel is not good for Humans beings. We are Earth bound creatures not born to travel into the zero gravity of space. All the money being spent on space travel, could be best spent on Earth. We still have world hunger and many problems here on Earth. Lets stop all this Mars rover missions, and spaceEX launches now.!!

Mankinds survival REQUIRES that we master space travel.
What is wrong with the planet we have?

It is singular. One big ass rock will end civilization, and possibly life on this planet at some time in its future unless we do something to prevent that. In all of this worlds history, we are the only creatures capable of preventing an asteroid strike.

In the event of a global cataclism, we are better suited to colonize the ocean floor than some distant planet

Think of the logistics of bringing supplies to build a colony a couple of hundred feet underwater vs light years away

Think of the logistics of trying to live underwater. That is an environment that is every bit as harsh as space. An asteroid strike of the size like that which wiped out the dinosaurs, would make the oceans uninhabitable as well.

We should explore for the sake of exploration. That is in our genes, literally. We should try to learn as much as we can about the universe for the sake of knowledge itself. That is what makes us human.

Explore with robots

They are easier to feed and we don’t care if they are destroyed

Yes, they are easier, which is why they don't drive technology advancements anywhere near as fast as human travel does.

Many studies have shown that space travel is not good for Humans beings. We are Earth bound creatures not born to travel into the zero gravity of space. All the money being spent on space travel, could be best spent on Earth. We still have world hunger and many problems here on Earth. Lets stop all this Mars rover missions, and spaceEX launches now.!!

Sure. Kind of like humans were not made to travel for months across oceans.
Thousand died

We are talking years in space and then a lifetime on a questionably inhabitable planet

You anti science types crack me up. Man is a technological creature. We MAKE things that allow us to advance. THAT is progress. You people instead choose regressive policies that only create a two tiered civilization, the rich and the poor. And nothing happens until the next catastrophe.

Take a look through all of history and you will find one very important fact, every "sustainable" civilization that has ever existed, failed when a natural disaster occurred.
Not anti science

I support space exploration
Our greatest tool has been the Hubble telescope
Our second greatest tool has been unmanned rovers
Our third greatest tool has been unmanned space probes

Human travel does not make my list

Wrong, the programs that led up to Apollo, and Apollo itself, drove more technological development than any other program man has ever engaged in. The drones you so love would not exist were it not for the advancements that Apollo gave us.

Explore with robots

That ain’t gonna cut it.
It has been cutting it

There are some things that drones can do very well. But, ultimately, they are a developmental dead end.

Nah, that's a stupid waste of money. .....

Like it or lump it; that's part of being human. Go find another species if you don't like it.

I've just watched Kubrick's A Space Odyssey. Millions of miles from Earth on the Jupiter mission, and still not at the destination!

I didn't understand the ending. Having read the book some years ago to understand the ending, and then having understood it, I've forgotten what I understood. So I'm back to square one. :dunno:

... Hmm ...

„Unheimlich ist das menschliche Dasein und immer noch ohne Sinn […]. Ich will die Menschen den Sinn ihres Seins lehren: welcher ist der Übermensch, der Blitz aus der dunklen Wolke Mensch.“

Friedrich Nietzsche

"... [...], I will teach men the meaning of their existence: the Superman, the lightning out of the dark cloud- man.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

“Not a bad thing to know something about darkness. You can’t talk about light without some knowledge of darkness. Like your buddy Nietzsche said, 'He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”
Kazuki Kaneshiro

But I guess you do not know more now, because you still don't speak Extraterrestrian.

Arthur C Clarke wrote it.

Not Nietsche. Or that other bloke you mentioned.

Wasn't Clarke an atheist? If he was, then he put in one of the references to the monolith to be a representation of God. The movie doesn't explicitly state it as such, but this interpretation comes out in the discussion afterward since the movie is not explained (which I enjoyed immensely as such). It's on the level of complex movies such as Mulholland Drive (2001).
Maybe he was referring to the Firstborn. I'm sure to humans they would appear to be God.

Explore with robots

That ain’t gonna cut it.
There are times when exploration is best done with unmanned probes and others that should be manned. It just depends on the mission.

Explore with robots

That ain’t gonna cut it.
There are times when exploration is best done with unmanned probes and others that should be manned. It just depends on the mission.

You're talking about the green slave girls on Star Trek, aren't you?

Explore with robots

That ain’t gonna cut it.

Sometimes you need the services of an astronaut...

kirk-and-rand.jpg

Explore with robots

Oh Yeah

That ain’t gonna cut it.

I've just watched Kubrick's A Space Odyssey. Millions of miles from Earth on the Jupiter mission, and still not at the destination!

I didn't understand the ending. Having read the book some years ago to understand the ending, and then having understood it, I've forgotten what I understood. So I'm back to square one. :dunno:

... Hmm ...

„Unheimlich ist das menschliche Dasein und immer noch ohne Sinn […]. Ich will die Menschen den Sinn ihres Seins lehren: welcher ist der Übermensch, der Blitz aus der dunklen Wolke Mensch.“

Friedrich Nietzsche

"... [...], I will teach men the meaning of their existence: the Superman, the lightning out of the dark cloud- man.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

“Not a bad thing to know something about darkness. You can’t talk about light without some knowledge of darkness. Like your buddy Nietzsche said, 'He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”
Kazuki Kaneshiro

But I guess you do not know more now, because you still don't speak Extraterrestrian.

Arthur C Clarke wrote it.

Not Nietsche. Or that other bloke you mentioned.

Wasn't Clarke an atheist?

No idea.

If he was, then he put in one of the references to the monolith to be a representation of God. The movie doesn't explicitly state it as such, but this interpretation comes out in the discussion afterward since the movie is not explained (which I enjoyed immensely as such). It's on the level of complex movies such as Mulholland Drive (2001).

I remember a German who wrote a doctoral thesis about conjunctions of a famous German author - if I remember well the author was the Nobel price winner Heinrich Böll. When he was ready and got a good job he was interested to find out, whether his thesis was right - so he called Heinrich Böll and asked him. Heinrich Böll answered something like: "Why I used so many different conjunctions? ... hmm ... What answer do you expect? It's a little boring always only to write "and", isn't it?"

I guess all science fiction authors have always the same problem: What to say about the [still] unrecognizable. In general I would say Atheists often try to find "god" again. They prefer to find or create an own god (Scientology for example) and not to be found from the loving god in real life, because it is not an easy thought to be found from the "nothing" they believe in. The materialism of the Commies for example made it for them nearly impossible to let the human being Lenin go home. They tried to conserve his body like ancient Egypts. I guess all forms of a crude materialisms, denying spirituality, will lead in the end to the dictatorship and slavery of death. And perhaps to the idea in a kind of sarcophag could live something. An AI for example.

science fiction

reality

Last edited:

Mankinds survival REQUIRES that we master space travel.
What is wrong with the planet we have?

It is singular. One big ass rock will end civilization, and possibly life on this planet at some time in its future unless we do something to prevent that. In all of this worlds history, we are the only creatures capable of preventing an asteroid strike.

In the event of a global cataclism, we are better suited to colonize the ocean floor than some distant planet

Think of the logistics of bringing supplies to build a colony a couple of hundred feet underwater vs light years away

Think of the logistics of trying to live underwater. That is an environment that is every bit as harsh as space. An asteroid strike of the size like that which wiped out the dinosaurs, would make the oceans uninhabitable as well.
Not necessarily unless it were a direct strike
The oceans provide a protective shield

It is easier to build and supply a community under water. You also have access to water and oxygen which may be scarce on a distant planet

Explore with robots

That ain’t gonna cut it.
It has been cutting it

There are some things that drones can do very well. But, ultimately, they are a developmental dead end.
Hardly a dead end
With artificial intelligence they could function on a distant planet

Problem with humans is it costs so much to sustain them and we can’t just let them die

R2D2 is a better solution

Forum List

Back