Human Rights Sanctions Blocked

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
By James Bone

China and Russia last night thwarted a year-long diplomatic drive by Britain to impose United Nations sanctions on the perpetrators in of the violence in the Darfur province of Sudan.

The two powers, joined by Qatar, used their position on a UN sanctions committee to block the imposition of a UN travel ban and asset freeze on four unnamed Sudanese, including one government official, proposed by Britain.

The United States, which backed the British initiative, reacted angrily by threatening to call a public vote of the 15-nation Security Council that would force Russia and China into making a formal veto.

“This will be a test for the council to see if the sanctions procedure is going to work at all,” John Bolton, the US Ambassador, said.

The Security Council voted a year ago to impose sanctions on individuals responsible for the violence in Darfur, where Janjaweed Arab militia have made two million black villagers homeless since 2003.

The effort languished over fears that separate peace talks on Darfur would be affected.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2138685,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=World

I think they're going to pull out the cop out, court of last resort on the individual cases, or at least that's what they're pushing for - put most of the blame on civilians, that way the oil keeps on flowing to China.

Testing the waters to see how the proposed "sacntions" on Iran will fly?
As if we don't already know. :wank:

dilloduck said:

Screw them. Cold War is over. TIme to rethink who are our friends and who are not, and cut off the ones that aren't.

We used to do things because they were right, not because we had someone else's permission.

dilloduck said:

That's just it. Sanctions aren't really meant for individuals committing war crimes. Nice technicality, wouldn't you say?

GunnyL said:
Screw them. Cold War is over. TIme to rethink who are our friends and who are not, and cut off the ones that aren't.

We used to do things because they were right, not because we had someone else's permission.

World opinion :bs1: ---guess flip flop Kerrry gets his way after all. How many American butts can politicians back into a corner?

Said1 said:
That's just it. Sanctions aren't really meant for individuals committing war crimes. Nice technicality, wouldn't you say?

Sanctions don't hurt anyone but the general populace anyway. No one really believes these despotic governments sacrifice their lifestyles/spending for their people. do they?

GunnyL said:
Sanctions don't hurt anyone but the general populace anyway. No one really believes these despotic governments sacrifice their lifestyles/spending for their people. do they?

Exactly, hence the cop out court of International Justice. This makes it easier for states to pass the buck and avoid sanctions altogether by pinning someone else for their deeds. In the end, everyone looks good - a win win situation. Hooray for the institutions and the murders they help!

Said1 said:
Exactly, hence the cop out court of International Justice. This makes it easier for states to pass the buck and avoid sanctions altogether by pinning someone else for their deeds. In the end, everyone looks good - a win win situation. Hooray for the institutions and the murders they help!

I'm just really surprised this is still an issue. I'd have thought they'd have run out of people to murder by now.

Then we can all be apologetic and say it'll never happen again like we did with Rwanda.

GunnyL said:
I'm just really surprised this is still an issue. I'd have thought they'd have run out of people to murder by now.

Then we can all be apologetic and say it'll never happen again like we did with Rwanda.

Perhaps it's part of a bigger plan to rid Africa of all it's people. Ya never know, just ask Nuclearwinter....so many what ifs.

GunnyL said:

I wish to God that was the case (the slaughter was over, everyone was dead), but sadly, there are a million endangered lives among the civilians in Dar Fur and in Chad (where the ethnic cleansing by the Sudanese supported (Chinese & Russian armed) Janjaweed. A good number of them will die, only adding to the pile of corpses already rotting.

When I see things like the villages filled with unarmed people who are trapped and are now just waiting to be slaughtered, I can't believe this is the kind of world we're stuck living in. This is pure evil, and sadly, the US is the only nation with the power and the balls to do anything about it, and it won't.

BUT WE COULD AT LEAST force this into a nasty, public debate and embarass the Chinese & Russians & Arabs by making them vote up or down on it.

NATO AIR said:
I wish to God that was the case (the slaughter was over, everyone was dead), but sadly, there are a million endangered lives among the civilians in Dar Fur and in Chad (where the ethnic cleansing by the Sudanese supported (Chinese & Russian armed) Janjaweed. A good number of them will die, only adding to the pile of corpses already rotting.

When I see things like the villages filled with unarmed people who are trapped and are now just waiting to be slaughtered, I can't believe this is the kind of world we're stuck living in. This is pure evil, and sadly, the US is the only nation with the power and the balls to do anything about it, and it won't.
BUT WE COULD AT LEAST force this into a nasty, public debate and embarass the Chinese & Russians & Arabs by making them vote up or down on it.

Sad but true. It makes me sick, and anyone calling themselves American should be ashamed to just ignore it. Guess they're too busy barbequeing T-bones.

NATO AIR said:

It's hearbreaking, and we are supposed to be living in civilized times..I think the world just doesn't want to hear it, let alone petition governments to take action. This is something our government has really dropped the ball on, I know we have had our share of problems but your right someone needs to have the guts to raise the issue publicly at the very least.

Bonnie said:
It's hearbreaking, and we are supposed to be living in civilized times..I think the world just doesn't want to hear it, let alone petition governments to take action. This is something our government has really dropped the ball on, I know we have had our share of problems but your right someone needs to have the guts to raise the issue publicly at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Wonder why the libs and their dead horse beating media can't wail and gnash teeth over this day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.

If they went after these nimords the way they've went after the Bush administration, the janjaweed would probably shoot themselves just so they didn't have to hear anymore.

Bonnie said:
It's hearbreaking, and we are supposed to be living in civilized times..I think the world just doesn't want to hear it, let alone petition governments to take action. This is something our government has really dropped the ball on, I know we have had our share of problems but your right someone needs to have the guts to raise the issue publicly at the very least.
Has it? I'm not saying that there is a need to be met. Is it ours to pick up or drop? Are there not developed countries with an interest here? Should we be acting without a UN mandate, (don't bother Eddie, I know and understand and empathise with your answer)? Are there other 'developed' nations with more of a cause here, if the UN will not act?

GunnyL said:
Bonnie said:
It's hearbreaking, and we are supposed to be living in civilized times..I think the world just doesn't want to hear it, let alone petition governments to take action. This is something our government has really dropped the ball on, I know we have had our share of problems but your right someone needs to have the guts to raise the issue publicly at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Wonder why the libs and their dead horse beating media can't wail and gnash teeth over this day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.

If they went after these nimords the way they've went after the Bush administration, the janjaweed would probably shoot themselves just so they didn't have to hear anymore.

Can you imagine if this kind of genocide got half the media attention that Abhu Grahib got what that could accomplish?

Where is Amnesty Internationl on this one?? Too busy with their heads up terrorists asses?

Forum List

Back