Human rights, animal rights, human equality...

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BPna-fSNOE"]YouTube - The Ethical Use of Biotechnology: Debating the Science of Perfecting Humans[/ame]

I'm about 12 minutes in and he raises some really good questions about equality, human rights, animal rights, and ethics

thoughts?

I did not look at the video yet, but I do have a question.

Were in the Bible--better yet, any holy text, are animals bequeathed rights? I think PETA is a pagan organization!!

I did not look at the video yet, but I do have a question.

Were in the Bible--better yet, any holy text, are animals bequeathed rights? I think PETA is a pagan organization!!

You are a nut! LoL! And I agree with you about PETA!

Genesis 1:26

"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'"

I don't think that gives animals rights. That said, this is also a board on ethics and that question is perfectly suited for that part of the board. I tried watching this video but I found myself continually wanting to throw things at the screen and had to turn it off. The man is well spoken and obviously believes strongly in his perspective and to a degree I agree with him. Turn over the lifers in prison to be tested by scientists. They wouldn't be as much of a drain on society that way and we would accurately know how certain drugs and treatments would affect a human being. Who wouldn't want to see Madoff with a few needles hanging out of his arm, drooling and twitching? I, for one, think it would be lovely if he could contribute to society a little.

I don't think though that animals should be afforded the same rights as humans. Perhaps that is just me but I don't exactly think a lion is going to afford a human any rights on the Savannah. We may have the ability to think about the morality of our actions but animals wouldn't give us the same courtesy.

Forum List

Back