Human resources department - scary?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
I am a student. But when I take a summer job or any other one (mostly software), I get deeply evaluated by one or another human resources professional. They run tests on me, like how fast can I add numbers, as if my application didn't show that I study maths. Then they give me grueling interviews, and look at me with piercing eyes. This is frequent. Why is this?

They look like they project that they are so much better than I. Why is it important to them? Do they do me a favor that they interview me?

What is the psychology of being a human resources professionals?

Human resources usually just creates problems in their heads to justify them still having a job.

I am a student. But when I take a summer job or any other one (mostly software), I get deeply evaluated by one or another human resources professional. They run tests on me, like how fast can I add numbers, as if my application didn't show that I study maths. Then they give me grueling interviews, and look at me with piercing eyes. This is frequent. Why is this?

They look like they project that they are so much better than I. Why is it important to them? Do they do me a favor that they interview me?

As a semi-retired partner in a professional services firm, I'm telling you that you need to check that arrogance you have, and leave it on your dorm floor. When you go to an interview, your goal needs to be to exceed expectations. Period.

I am a student....They look like they project that they are so much better than I.
In all likelihood, they are.

In my firm, the professionals who conduct interviews are our current personnel and principals who perform the job for which a candidate is interviewing. Insofar as you are a student, you can rest assured that the people interviewing you are better than you are at everything pertaining to doing the job for which you've applied. They know they are at that moment better than you, and they aren't trying to demonstrate as much to you. Regardless of whether you think so, you are the one who has something to prove, not they.

Do they do me a favor that they interview me?

For the most part and to the extent it's you and not a different individual they opted to invite to an interview, yes.

Before I sold my firm to a competitor, my partners and I did campus recruiting of MBAs and graduate economics students. We would get between 75 and 120 resumes for two positions we had available, and we'd "phone screen" about twenty-five applicants and extend interview opportunities to three to five applicants. Why? Because we didn't have time to interview more than five people.

My current firm is much larger. We receive 300-500 undergraduate applications and 200-300 graduate student applications per office (we are in every major city in the U.S. and Europe and most major cities in TROW). Typically any given recruiting event results in our interviewing about 20 people.

So, at least as far as interviewing in my firm and industry (because it's no different among our competitors) while your academic (and professional experience if you're completing a graduate degree) performance, comportment, communication skills, etc. that can be reviewed and/or gleaned prior to an interview speak for themselves, that you may be selected from what is surely a large pool of highly qualified applicants is to some extent your being accorded a favor.

Now do I and my colleagues think of it as doing our applicants a favor? No, we don't. That said, you should think of it that way because, based on the tone of your OP, you need a bit of self-implemented attitude adjustment, namely a boost in humility. I wrote "self-implemented" because if you don't do it for yourself, eventually, someone is going to do it for you, and you'll like that adjustment far less than the self-inspired kind, which isn't exactly fun, but is the better approach to personal development.

A new employee is a risk. You hire what you think is the best and many turn out to be a huge waste of time and money. Every day the position is unfilled, someone is working their job plus someone else's. So you want to hire fast. But then, every day you waste training an employee who doesn't work out makes the delays even longer.

Deal with your fears of HR and leave it at that.

they want the best and want to see how you are under pressure.
good stuff!

`
`

It depends on what you are applying for. Lengthy interviews, tests and evaluations cost money. Some companies are dollar foolish that way. I know of one company that spent about $300 per applicant, just for a lead position on an assembly line for paint brushes. (the company is now defunct) On the other hand for positions requiring a high degree of acumen, accuracy, skill, trust, etc, it is a good investment.

Just come prepared and fresh ... Clean and well rested.
Don't worry about the stuff you don't know and watch for opportunities to focus on the better qualities you offer.

Oh ... And if the manager is present and asks you the "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question ... The answer is, "in your chair".

If you get the job, don't worry about seniority or the petty workplace politics.
Stay busy, do your job, do your co-worker's job, work circles around everyone else ... And get all the training ever offered.
When the work is done ... Pick up a broom and sweep the floor (or stuff like that).

Do more, be more and talk less ... Make the only reason Human Resources contacts you is to make sure you like the way things are.

`
`

It depends on what you are applying for. Lengthy interviews, tests and evaluations cost money. Some companies are dollar foolish that way. I know of one company that spent about $300 per applicant, just for a lead position on an assembly line for paint brushes. (the company is now defunct) On the other hand for positions requiring a high degree of acumen, accuracy, skill, trust, etc, it is a good investment.

Just to put a few numbers on the perspective you've introduced....
  • Survey of Consulting Rates -- The information in that document pertains to technical consultants. (Other areas of consulting have markedly higher billing rates.)
Working off of the document alone, consider that an applicant may meet with a five person interviewing team comprised of at three partners/principals who bill at $400-$500+/hr and two management level staff members who bill at something around $350+/hr.. That's ~$1900 or more in direct revenue the firm forgoes to interview one candidate for one hour, and that's before one adds in the lost revenue attributable to traveling to and from the interview location, facilities, meals, hotel, and transportation costs (those costs are "allocated" equally to each interviewee).

OT:
There is a type of interview that is becoming increasingly more popular. It's called the "working interview." Interviewees are invited to an engagement site and given a small task that's commensurate with what they'd be asked to as a newly hired consultant. Someone on the project team will provide them with instructions and the necessary explanations for what they need to do and then have the person set about doing the work. The interviewee will experience a day or a few that are exactly what they'd experience were they hired.

There are obvious advantages to the working interview.
  • Less expensive to conduct
  • More informative to the employer and the employee
The trick is having/making opportunities to do them, not preferring to do them.

It's conceivable, given the "adding of numbers" thing the OP-er mentioned that a "working interview" or an variant of it is what the OP-er was undergoing.

I wouldn't hire you

You failed the interview before you even show up. You need an attitude adjustment

Ask them for help with client relations, diversity, and stress management in a team oriented environment; for career enhancement purposes.

grow-a-pair-of-balls-man.jpg

Many human resources people are simply and completely there to keep the company from being sued. The job performance is secondary, especially once you get into companies with more than 50-100 employees. There are too many people for the owner of the governing board or execs to talk to and form a relationship with so they just leave the details to their managers and that is where the problems start. If you get one or two corrupt or self-agrandizing/self-serving managers they can f up a company quick. Corrupt people ALWAYS hire other corrupt people that will brown nose them like a horny pitbull. They immediately begin to build a circle of other corrupt people around them. Why? Because when you want to tell a lie to the bosses it is much easier when all the people you've hired tell the same lie, and you can minimize the people who actually are there to do their job well - keep them at arms length by never allowing them to advance.

Are all companies like this? No, but in larger companies unscrupulous people are always present. The more successful ones are very good at hiding their real intentions.

That said, if you are honest just be good at what you do. Know your profession and get to know the company you are applying to. Get a product line book. Go through their website and familiarize yourself with their culture, their mission statement, their standing in the local, national, and international business community where applicable. Find out what their total sales were the year before.

Lastly be confident but not arrogant. I had one guy that interviewed me ask one last question before the interview was over, he said "if you work with people on our team for the next two months what would they say about you". The question threw me and I was completely unprepared for it. I said "they'll say where's he been all our life". The dude smiled and said you're hired. It was folksy and somewhat humorous but I meant it. Humor of course is the best grease gun you can carry through life. It will almost always smooth over the rough edges.

I'm not sure we've caught the drift of the OP.

Maybe the question is about the HR person.

In a rational world, the HR person GETS NO VOTE on who fills the position(s). They pre-screen the applications, make sure the candidates are truthful on their applications, and legally able to work...then it's up to the hiring supervisor(s). Many HR people forget (or don't want to be reminded) that they are merely COORDINATING the process, and have no say in the end result.

Many times I have cut off HR people at the beginning of their spiel by simply asking, "Who decides who gets the job?" With this issue off the table, they stop asking questions which are nothing more than their own being "nebby."

For the record, I switched jobs many, many times during my career, and I learned to hate HR people. In most companies, they contribute very little, if anything, to the hiring process.

The employer sounds and feels like a place to avoid.....there are a large percentage of bad employers....avoid this at all costs.

Forum List

Back