Human Cloning (Now Official)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dawks2020, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dawks2020

dawks2020 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am surprised no one yet posted this. So I figured I would. We can now successfully clone human embryos. The scientist took a stem cell and one of his skin cells and cloned himself and it produced an embryo. He did it three times and destroyed the embryo three times because he did not want to clone himself. This should be a fun Thread.

Link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22706947/

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I'm all for it. The prospect of replacing all the fat, ugly chicks with Jessica Alba clones is intriguing.

3. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Alright, now all we need to do is get good at gene manipulation and some day we can add "human evolution" to the list of natural processes we've commandeered.

Silly natural order. Let us show you how it's done. What could go wrong?

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Fascinating stuff - I wish I could come back every 50 years to see if we have survived ourselves.

"Most of the given bestowals of nature have their given species-specified natures: they are each and all of a given sort. Cockroaches and humans are equally bestowed but differently natured. To turn a man into a cockroach—as we don’t need Kafka to show us—would be dehumanizing. To try to turn a man into more than a man might be so as well. We need more than generalized appreciation for nature’s gifts. We need a particular regard and respect for the special gift that is our own given nature[3]

Transhumanists counter that nature’s gifts are sometimes poisoned and should not always be accepted. Cancer, malaria, dementia, aging, starvation, unnecessary suffering, cognitive shortcomings are all among the presents that we wisely refuse. Our own species-specified natures are a rich source of much of the thoroughly unrespectable and unacceptable – susceptibility for disease, murder, rape, genocide, cheating, torture, racism. The horrors of nature in general and of our own nature in particular are so well documented[4] that it is astonishing that somebody as distinguished as Leon Kass should still in this day and age be tempted to rely on the natural as a guide to what is desirable or normatively right."

http://www.nickbostrom.com/ethics/dignity.html

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    This goes hand and glove with the thread on embryo manipulation, it is only a matter of time before someone screws up and we pay a steep price for it.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I just assumed we've been cloning humans ever since The Matrix came out!

Eugenics. That's all it is. And it's wrong.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Advance in human cloning discovery...
    :confused:
    Embryonic stem cells: Advance in medical human cloning
    15 May 2013 - Human cloning has been used to produce early embryos, marking a "significant step" for medicine, say US scientists.