Human Caused Global Warming

All the volcanoes on earth put out an esitmated 200 million tons of CO2 into the biosphere each year. But each year, humans are responsible for an estimated 26.8 billion tons.

Where'd you get those figures? Humans emit more CO2 in DAYS than all the volcanoes on earth do in a normal year. The human contribution is on the order of 35 gigatons, while volcanoes contribute about 0.2.

http://www.agu.org/pubs/pdf/2011EO240001.pdf

Rare opportunity for a handshake here and a buddy hug. .2Gigaton is about 200Million.. :lol: Glad to help ya out.

Probably tho -- this isn't counting all the discovered and undiscovered undersea volcanic vents and nat gas fissures that END up being "natural" CO2 by the time it gets to the surface..

True, but that's still 1/175th of what humans put out. So in about 2.1 days we emit more than all the volcanoes on earth. He got one of the numbers right, but totally underestimated the other, making his premise entirely invalid.

Well now enter the O&M of a fossil plant....

Oh I am so going to have fun in this thread.

It is almost as good as Yellowstone is going to blow tomorrow and kill us all.

The Tree House Compromise

There's nothing like compromise (especially for eco-activism discussions).

Let's say humans did not spew industrial and automobile gases into the atmosphere which created acid rain. Let's say that clean coal technologies and biomass fuel research will bring back to ecological balance anything possibly out of balance.

While it seems that 'pundits' can cite stats that point either way, there has to be more talk about compromise to throw cold water on the annoying fires.

So here goes: how about a tree house?

A tree house is popular among youngsters. A tree house is simply a dwelling constructed on a tree-top area. A tree house is i usually made of wood materials (sigh), and now, more and more adults are seeking hip tree house contracts with real estate developers, and there's even an American television program called "Treehouse Masters" (Animal Planet TV) that presents this trend.

A tree house rather quickly reminds people of man's nifty and basic relationship to Earth itself. It's hard to ignore the fact that you are being ecologically unwise when you're living in a tree house.

This simple idea sounds like a cliche, but perhaps its cultural attainability makes it less of a cliche than regurgitated red hot liberal talk.

:afro:

Treehouse Masters Wiki

keebler.gif

All the volcanoes on earth put out an esitmated 200 million tons of CO2 into the biosphere each year. But each year, humans are responsible for an estimated 26.8 billion tons.

Where'd you get those figures? Humans emit more CO2 in DAYS than all the volcanoes on earth do in a normal year. The human contribution is on the order of 35 gigatons, while volcanoes contribute about 0.2.

Rare opportunity for a handshake here and a buddy hug. .2Gigaton is about 200Million.. :lol: Glad to help ya out.

Probably tho -- this isn't counting all the discovered and undiscovered undersea volcanic vents and nat gas fissures that END up being "natural" CO2 by the time it gets to the surface..

True, but that's still 1/175th of what humans put out. So in about 2.1 days we emit more than all the volcanoes on earth. He got one of the numbers right, but totally underestimated the other, making his premise entirely invalid.
Konrav,
I said that all the volcanoes on earth put out an "estimated" 200 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year. While humans are responsible for putting out an "estimated" 26.8 billion tons per year. I didn't underestimate anything. I am just quoting figures. So my premise is still valid on that point. Though you don't have to be absolutely exact on some point before you can say there is a problem.

Cav Scout,
You can't say that Yellowstone isn't going to erupt tomorrow. Every expert I heard said that it would someday. And it is already over a half million years overdue.

here's another group hug moment for y'all. Are you quoting tons of CARBON or tons of CARBON DIOXIDE?? I think BOTH numbers are correct. you are just a victim of the politically correct move to PURPOSELY confuse folks about CO2 and "carbon"...

So BOTH numbers are freely quoted. The CO2 number should be used EXCLUSIVELY from a scientific viewpoint. And the conversion factor (IIRC) is something like 1.4 X Carbon = CO2... (check that)

The Cavalry is ALWAYS late.. Thread already doomed. Welcome to USMB... :D
flacaltenn,
Just showing my avatar is enough to doom any thread. But that is the nature of the brainwashed, lie loving beast.

Konrav,
I said that all the volcanoes on earth put out an "estimated" 200 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year. While humans are responsible for putting out an "estimated" 26.8 billion tons per year. I didn't underestimate anything. I am just quoting figures. So my premise is still valid on that point. Though you don't have to be absolutely exact on some point before you can say there is a problem.

Where'd you get those numbers? "Estimates" you pull out of the air aren't worth much. I provided an actual scientific article that says human output is 175 times that of volcanoes. What do you have that proves it wrong?

The Cavalry is ALWAYS late.. Thread already doomed. Welcome to USMB... :D
flacaltenn,
Just showing my avatar is enough to doom any thread. But that is the nature of the brainwashed, lie loving beast.

Fly that freak flag me boy, but don't whine about the consequences. It kinda clashes with serious science and policy topics --- dontcha think?

Or it could just be my brainwashing.. :lol:

Konrav,

Where'd you get those numbers? "Estimates" you pull out of the air aren't worth much. I provided an actual scientific article that says human output is 175 times that of volcanoes. What do you have that proves it wrong?

See post #28 before you go to war on Herr Cultmeister.. You both could be right.

The Tree House Compromise

There's nothing like compromise (especially for eco-activism discussions).

Let's say humans did not spew industrial and automobile gases into the atmosphere which created acid rain. Let's say that clean coal technologies and biomass fuel research will bring back to ecological balance anything possibly out of balance.

While it seems that 'pundits' can cite stats that point either way, there has to be more talk about compromise to throw cold water on the annoying fires.

So here goes: how about a tree house?

A tree house is popular among youngsters. A tree house is simply a dwelling constructed on a tree-top area. A tree house is i usually made of wood materials (sigh), and now, more and more adults are seeking hip tree house contracts with real estate developers, and there's even an American television program called "Treehouse Masters" (Animal Planet TV) that presents this trend.

A tree house rather quickly reminds people of man's nifty and basic relationship to Earth itself. It's hard to ignore the fact that you are being ecologically unwise when you're living in a tree house.

This simple idea sounds like a cliche, but perhaps its cultural attainability makes it less of a cliche than regurgitated red hot liberal talk.

:afro:

Treehouse Masters Wiki

View attachment 31843
Abishai 100,
I don't wish to be insulting. But there are probably forums out there geared toward tweens and teens that is probably better suited to iron out your naive ideas at.

The rise of CO2 from 280 ppm pre-industrial to a doubling at 560ppm (which we yet to acheive) should cause a temp increase of ABOUT 1degC. That's from basic atmos physics --- no hysterical GW amplifications included. EMPIRICAL evidence is that we are WELL within those bounds and tracking a CO2 ONLY warming with NO EXAGGERATED Global Warming "magic multipliers" involved.

Should we get 560ppm --- the NEXT doubling for another 1degC change will require TWICE as much CO2 as it required this time.. All the way to 1120ppm.. There is no basis for believing that we live on a planet with a broken climate system that will COMMIT PLANETCIDE because of a 1 or 2 degC change in the "trigger".. NONE. If the climate system was THAT UNSTABLE --- we wouldn't be sitting on our asses arguing about it now.

Current empirical evidence shows that water vapor is acting as a negative forcing and reducing the CO2 LOG base by almost 50%. Just the opposite of what some here are screaming at the top of their lungs. We still have much to learn but some think the science is settled..

here's another group hug moment for y'all. Are you quoting tons of CARBON or tons of CARBON DIOXIDE?? I think BOTH numbers are correct. you are just a victim of the politically correct move to PURPOSELY confuse folks about CO2 and "carbon"...

So BOTH numbers are freely quoted. The CO2 number should be used EXCLUSIVELY from a scientific viewpoint. And the conversion factor (IIRC) is something like 1.4 X Carbon = CO2... (check that)
flacaltenn,
I am talking about the CO2 figures. Nothing else. But here is a bit of interesting information. The world is warming. But if it wasn't for all the crap we put into the air, more sunlight would be reaching the earth. Warming it up even faster. So if we cleaned all the dirty crap out of the air, it would only accelerate global warming.

The rise of CO2 from 280 ppm pre-industrial to a doubling at 560ppm (which we yet to acheive) should cause a temp increase of ABOUT 1degC. That's from basic atmos physics --- no hysterical GW amplifications included. EMPIRICAL evidence is that we are WELL within those bounds and tracking a CO2 ONLY warming with NO EXAGGERATED Global Warming "magic multipliers" involved.

Should we get 560ppm --- the NEXT doubling for another 1degC change will require TWICE as much CO2 as it required this time.. All the way to 1120ppm.. There is no basis for believing that we live on a planet with a broken climate system that will COMMIT PLANETCIDE because of a 1 or 2 degC change in the "trigger".. NONE. If the climate system was THAT UNSTABLE --- we wouldn't be sitting on our asses arguing about it now.

Current empirical evidence shows that water vapor is acting as a negative forcing and reducing the CO2 LOG base by almost 50%. Just the opposite of what some here are screaming at the top of their lungs. We still have much to learn but some think the science is settled..
Billy_Bob,
I don't think anybody really knows what will happen. As I mentioned before, there is a possibility that global warming coupled with methane release could cause a positive feedback loop and doom us all much faster than most scientists really figured on. As I said elsewhere, when it comes to the kind of biosphere we now live in, in geological terms, we are in uncharted territory. But one thing is for sure. Right now, humans are doing things they ought not to be doing.

Both of these points are factually incorrect. The rate of CO2 increase is far less than seen in Phanerozoic era. That Era saw a truly massive and rapid increase as a result of the earth warming and foliage growth.

The Phanerozoic is the current era, running from 549 MYA up to the present. I have been told by half a dozen deniers that the chronological resolution of proxy data of just 11,700 years of the Holocene Epoch was inadequate to support the contention that the rate of current CO2 and temperature increases were unprecedented. Yet now you claim to be able to identify higher rates in events hundreds of millions of years ago. Neat trick.

Within the last 65 million years, the most dramatic CO2 event was the Azolla event. This was a rapid reduction of CO2 which is given credit for the appearance of the Earth's iced poles. The event produced an 80% reduction in CO2 (3500 to 650 ppm) over a period of 800,000 years. The current event has produced a 43% increase (280 to 400 ppm) in 150 years.

Let's do the math: 3500 - 650 = 2850 ppm
2850 ppm / 800,000 = 0.00356 ppm / year

vs

120 ppm / 150 years = 0.8 ppm / year

So the current rate of change is 224 TIMES as fast as the fastest prior event in the last 65 million years

Hey, you're good at math! Now can you show us an experiment that controls for a 120PPM increase in CO2?

flacaltenn,
I am talking about the CO2 figures. Nothing else. But here is a bit of interesting information. The world is warming. But if it wasn't for all the crap we put into the air, more sunlight would be reaching the earth. Warming it up even faster. So if we cleaned all the dirty crap out of the air, it would only accelerate global warming.

I dont thinks so, in the long term...
Holecen.JPG

Forum List

Back