human activities now emit 150 times as much CO2 as volcanoes? Is this right?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Toronado3800, Dec 1, 2009.

  1. Toronado3800
    Offline

    Toronado3800 VIP Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2009
    Messages:
    3,572
    Thanks Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Ratings:
    +355
    Past Climate Change | Science | Climate Change | U.S. EPA

    I was just doing some light reading. 150 times? Seems a bit high. Is it real?
     
  2. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Where'd the EPA get their figures, from CRU?

    Better put on your heavy jacket, because there's a huge cynicism blizzard a-settin' in.
     
  3. Toronado3800
    Offline

    Toronado3800 VIP Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2009
    Messages:
    3,572
    Thanks Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Ratings:
    +355
    Some combination of these and a geologic survey they linked to.

    Do they use CRU as a source for their geologic data? I can keep clicking links but the one darn site wanted $58 from me for more details.

    Worse than porn on line I tell ya ;)
     
  4. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    IPCC gleaned heavily from CRU, and a lot of the subsequent models have been built on CRU data.

    I'm tellin' ya...The scientific community has a bad case of the clap going around.
     
  5. Si modo
    Offline

    Si modo Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Messages:
    41,538
    Thanks Received:
    6,382
    Trophy Points:
    1,810
    Location:
    St. Eligius
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I can smell the desperation.

    This is like a giant sucking chest wound to the alarmists, though.
     
  6. Missourian
    Offline

    Missourian Gold Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    16,281
    Thanks Received:
    4,799
    Trophy Points:
    280
    Location:
    Missouri
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Man-made GHG only account for 5.5% of total greenhouse gas emissions, the other 94.5% is naturally occuring.

    And that calculation excludes water vapor as a GHG.

    Wikipedia has this
    They cite this UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change page as a reference.That corresponds with the 5.5% above...20 times greater equals 20 to 1 equals 100 to 5 equals 5%.



    So if mankind gave up all fossil fuels, industry and livestock, built mud huts and returned to hunting and gathering, 94.5% of greenhouse gas emissions would remain because they are naturally occurring.


    Is this true?

    http://www.usmessageboard.com/envir...ecedes-10-miles-in-8-years-4.html#post1341995
     
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  7. Toronado3800
    Offline

    Toronado3800 VIP Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2009
    Messages:
    3,572
    Thanks Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Ratings:
    +355
    We'll see what other numbers come up. I have drained the battery from the lap top and need to sleep before knee therapy in the morning anyway. Catch ya tomorrow
     
  8. Chris
    Offline

    Chris Gold Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    Messages:
    23,154
    Thanks Received:
    1,958
    Trophy Points:
    205
    Location:
    Virginia
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    We are pumping billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year.

    We have almost doubled the amount of atmospheric CO2 in the last 200 years.

    CO2 is now at its highest level in 600,000 years.

    The Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, yet the ice continues to melt.

    These are the facts.
     
  9. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The ice isn't melting anymore and you know it.

    That is a fact.
     
  10. Chris
    Offline

    Chris Gold Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    Messages:
    23,154
    Thanks Received:
    1,958
    Trophy Points:
    205
    Location:
    Virginia
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Sorry, the ice is still melting.

    Last month the arctic ice was below the 2007 low according to the NSIDC.

    The real question is, "Since the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, why isn't it colder?"

    And why are the oceans registering their highest temperature ever?
     

Share This Page