Huh? What Am I Missing Here?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Usually my ability to read and comprehend is good. I do not understand the emphasized part of this article. Can someone help?

http://www.boston.com/news/world/la.../canada_denies_asylum_for_us_deserter?mode=PF

Canada denies asylum for US deserter
By Beth Duff-Brown, Associated Press | March 25, 2005

TORONTO -- A US Army paratrooper was denied political asylum yesterday -- a blow to Americans who are seeking refuge in Canada to avoid serving in an Iraq conflict that they contend would force them to commit atrocities against civilians.

An immigration board ruled that Jeremy Hinzman had not convinced its members that he would face persecution or cruel and unusual punishment if he is returned to the United States.

Seven other US military personnel have applied for refugee status, and Hinzman's lawyer estimated that dozens of others are in hiding in Canada waiting to see how the government ruled. The attorney, Jeffrey House, said Hinzman would appeal the ruling.

''We don't believe that people should be imprisoned for doing what they believe is illegal," House told CBC TV.
An Immigration and Refugee Board member, Brian Goodman, who wrote the ruling, said Hinzman might face some employment and social discrimination, but ''the treatment does not amount to a violation of a fundamental human right, and the harm is not serious."

Canada opposed the US-led invasion of Iraq, and the decision could help ease strained relations between the two governments.

Hinzman could face charges of desertion if sent home and would face up to five years in prison. He and seven other US military deserters are being represented by House, a Wisconsin native who came to Canada in 1970 to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War.

The Pentagon has urged the deserters to return to the United States and take up their concerns at their respective military bases.

I *think* they are saying that the guy should not be imprisoned for refusing to take part in a war that he sees as being illegal. The author must be an idiot....

He is saying that his client believes the war in Iraq is illegal and therefore his client refused to participate in it, an illegal activity. He is trying to argue that a person should not be imprisoned for refusing to participate in an illegal activity (even if the activity is not illegal, but the client feels that it is, or should be).

Hope that made it a bit clearer, I had to read it through twice myself!

Gem said:
He is saying that his client believes the war in Iraq is illegal and therefore his client refused to participate in it, an illegal activity. He is trying to argue that a person should not be imprisoned for refusing to participate in an illegal activity (even if the activity is not illegal, but the client feels that it is, or should be).

Hope that made it a bit clearer, I had to read it through twice myself!

I believe that you're on the mark here. But still, you have to ask yourself - If he thinks war is so downright illegal, what was he thinking when he VOLUNTARILY enlisted?

Perhaps he thought he'd just be making doughnuts?

Merlin1047 said:
I believe that you're on the mark here. But still, you have to ask yourself - If he thinks war is so downright illegal, what was he thinking when he VOLUNTARILY enlisted?

Perhaps he thought he'd just be making doughnuts?

Bravo. That was at the heart of my question. No one drafted his butt! After that, pay the piper.

Merlin asked:
what was he thinking when he VOLUNTARILY enlisted?

My guess would be something along the lines of:

"If these redneck idiots are willing to give me cash as a signing bonus AND put me through college then I'll play along, pretend to be "soldier boy" for a bit, bilk them for every dime I can...after all, we're not going to go to war in the next few years..."

Forum List

Back