Hugh Grant calls out the media

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Hugh Grant says time to stand up to media bullying | Reuters

"A free press is of course a cornerstone of democracy," Grant told a packed London court room. "I just think that there has been a section of our press that has become toxic over the last 20 or 30 years.

"Its main tactic being bullying, intimidation and blackmail. And I think it's time that this country found the courage to stand up to this bully now."

The disclosure in July that phone hacking at Rupert Murdoch's News of the World had stretched from celebrities to murder victims provoked a national outcry that led to the closure of the newspaper.

Within days, his News Corp group withdrew its bid to buy the 61 percent of broadcaster BSkyB it did not already own; its British newspaper arm News International shut the 168-year-old paper and Prime Minister David Cameron ordered the inquiry.

He's absolutely right, but I don't see what can be done, really.

Two of the newspapers that Grant has accused of hacking do not belong to News Corp. :eek:

That bastion of British Left Wing politics... The Guardian.... also stands accused of hacking. :eek:

Such is the standard of 'journalism'.

Oh, and.... there is still absolutely no evidence whatsoever of any of News Corps US media being involved in hacking. :eek:

Poor Hugh. He is probably still angry at the US media for publishing his mug shot after his arrest for soliciting a prostitute. It's hard to muster much sympathy for celebs who sniff, sniff, think they are victimized by the media.

Who cares what a drunkard entertainer who has a passion for teenage prostitutes has to say about anything other than a film he is in?
Maybe we should also ask Rob Lowe what he thinks.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Two of the newspapers that Grant has accused of hacking do not belong to News Corp. :eek:

That bastion of British Left Wing politics... The Guardian.... also stands accused of hacking. :eek:

Oh, and.... there is still absolutely no evidence whatsoever of any of News Corps US media being involved in hacking. :eek:

Okay. Why are you responding as though I accused someone specifically in the OP?

• Banned
Who cares what a drunkard entertainer who has a passion for teenage prostitutes has to say about anything other than a film he is in?

Honey, just because you haven't grown or matured over the past 20 years give or take, doesn't mean the rest of the world is stuck in a time warp.

Okay. Why are you responding as though I accused someone specifically in the OP?

Just keepin' it real. Because every time the hacking shit comes up, the left assume that it was purely News Corp and the evil Murdochs (insert maniacal laugh here).

You quoted the Guardian earlier today - on another thread... I might consider that hacking shit when linking to sources.

"A free press is of course a cornerstone of democracy," Grant told a packed London court room. "I just think that there has been a section of our press that has become toxic over the last 20 or 30 years.

"Its main tactic being bullying, intimidation and blackmail. And I think it's time that this country found the courage to stand up to this bully now."

The disclosure in July that phone hacking at Rupert Murdoch's News of the World had stretched from celebrities to murder victims provoked a national outcry that led to the closure of the newspaper.

Within days, his News Corp group withdrew its bid to buy the 61 percent of broadcaster BSkyB it did not already own; its British newspaper arm News International shut the 168-year-old paper and Prime Minister David Cameron ordered the inquiry.

Who gives a fuck what High Grant thinks?

Honey, just because you haven't grown or matured over the past 20 years give or take, doesn't mean the rest of the world is stuck in a time warp.

Time warp?
If I had sex with an underage girl and filmed it - I would be in jail. No question.

The courts do, actually.

But... but.... but....he's a ACTOR! Of course we should value his opinion.

:lol:

Time warp?
If I had sex with an underage girl and filmed it - I would be in jail. No question.

You just keep moving those goalposts, sunshine.

What's the worst thing you ever did in your life?

Is that how you want to be defined for the rest of it?

I know I don't.

The courts do, actually.

Actually, it's a Parliamentary Inquiry, not a court case. Just sayin'.

For the record, I find it difficult to work up any outrage about Grant's troubles with the media. I am, however, absolutely fucking horrified that the media hacked the cell phone of a missing teenager - giving her family and the police the false hope that she was still alive. She later turned up murdered. For that, the media who did that.... those fuckers should go to jail. That is an horrific thing to do... just for a fucking story... just to sell more papers. Shame on them.

Time warp?

I know I don't.

Well I sure as FUCK have never had sex with a 14 year old - and then FILMED IT and gave it out to friends.
He is a freaking slime.
I am no angel - but I have done absolutely NOTHING in comparison to this...not even on the same planet.

Time warp?

I know I don't.

Well I sure as FUCK have never had sex with a 14 year old - and then FILMED IT and gave it out to friends.
He is a freaking slime.
I am no angel - but I have done absolutely NOTHING in comparison to this...not even on the same planet.
Do you have a link for us regarding a 14yo girl with Grant?

I know I don't.

He is a freaking slime.

Oh, he's talking about Rob Lowe. Changing the goal posts even when not necessary - guess it gets to be a habit.

He is a freaking slime.

Oh, he's talking about Rob Lowe. Changing the goal posts even when not necessary - guess it gets to be a habit.
Thanks -

Forum List

Back