Huge Black Bear right now!

ahh i am gonna give care enough credit that she knows not to confront the damned bears

yall are pitiful

You bet they are.

Try living in the woods in Northern NH.

Shit I looked out my kitchen windown one day and there was a giant black bear with his head stuck through the window of a front door on the porch of the house across from me.

Used to see em all the time.

Don't l eave your garbage out. Don't leave food of any kind out. Its the spring of the year and they are hungry. Your garbage and bird food is a smorgasbord for them.

Leave you garbage cans in the cellar, if you have one, till pick up day.

Until their regular food becomes available your garbage, birdseed or anything else you have outside is food.

You do not want to be attacked by a Black bear. Unlike a grizzly playing dead won't stop an attack.

OK, since we live in bear and moose country, the "proper" thing to do if you have a bear problem is to make a lot of noise (like the shreek of an airhorn or banging pots and pans, as previously suggested), and NORMALLY the bear will go away.

Also, remove anything outside your home that the bear finds "interesting", usually some sort of food-related items.

Remember that the vast majority of bears are just as "scared" of you as you are of them.

HOWEVER, there are some bears that are aggressive and won't go away, for a number of reasons. They are hungry. They have been injured (by another bear or wild animal, or by a motor vehicle). They are protecting their "family" or what they perceive as their "turf".

If you live out in the country, like we do, and you have plenty of firearms, like we do, then it might be necessary to use the aggressive bear as TARGET PRACTICE.

If this is the case, you need to have a large caliber rifle. A .22 isn't going to cut it. Neither is a 9mm handgun, or pretty much ANY handgun, except maybe a well-placed .44 magnum shot.

A 30-.06 is the preferred rifle round to stop a bear. In my case, I would use my AK-47 (they're more fun to shoot and I have 30 rounds available in one mag), and drop the mean bear like a bad habit, with a couple of well-placed shots. If I can drop the bear with only a couple of shots, then I'll make a call to the local taxidermist and end up with a very nice bear rug for the wall or floor of our home.

Last week, we had a big black bear cross our road less than a mile from our home, so we know they are roaming around our area. My only fear is that our German Shepherd may encounter this beast and get hurt.

There is a huge, bigger than big, Black Bear standing 20 feet from my kitchen window by the bird feeder.

WHAT DO I DO?

MY cat had just come inside....thank God she was not out there...

What should I do? Do I call Animal control? Can they do anything...

I think there is 2 of them....when i opened my back door to peak, a Black bear even bigger than the one I thought was big, ran from the drive way when he heard the door open and the one by the feeder was no longer there...

it could have been the same black bear and I had not seen him go to the driveway but I am thinking since it looked even bigger, it was the Momma bear and the one at the feeder must have been it's young one?

crud crud crud

Care get a couple of Turkish Kangal Dogs....they can get to be around 175 pds and are bred to ward off bears,wolves and Jackels.....and they are supposed to be gentle with kids...........and Turkish Brown Bears are pretty dam big.......:eusa_angel:

20120618.jpg

guy caught this beast on his trail cam.....and its not full grown.....
this was bigger and fatter than that one...at least the view of the one in my driveway was bigger and fat fat fat...

do black bears eat meat?

Yep they are omnivores like humans.

Learn What To Do If You Encounter a Bear in the Wilderness[/url]

Your link doesn't work.

black bears eat meat

All bears eat meat.

I would suggest getting a couple Boerboels.

:confused: Yeah it does...

Learn What To Do If You Encounter a Bear in the Wilderness

^^ if that doesn't work just click as if you are going to quote my post to reply, and then just copy and paste the url into another tab on your browser...

Your link doesn't work.

black bears eat meat

All bears eat meat.

I would suggest getting a couple Boerboels.

:confused: Yeah it does...

^^ if that doesn't work just click as if you are going to quote my post to reply, and then just copy and paste the url into another tab on your browser...

It works now. Thanks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWnACum4SJs]Pepper Spraying a Bear - YouTube[/ame]

Bear Mace. Get some. It won't hurt em, and it'll NEVER want to come back.

If it's snuffling around the yard, get yourself a HUGE bottle of dried cayanne pepper and sprinkle it around the yard. Bear hits that, they won't want to be around your yard anymore. Of course, don't mow till after a rain.

There is a huge, bigger than big, Black Bear standing 20 feet from my kitchen window by the bird feeder.

WHAT DO I DO?

MY cat had just come inside....thank God she was not out there...

What should I do? Do I call Animal control? Can they do anything...

I think there is 2 of them....when i opened my back door to peak, a Black bear even bigger than the one I thought was big, ran from the drive way when he heard the door open and the one by the feeder was no longer there...

it could have been the same black bear and I had not seen him go to the driveway but I am thinking since it looked even bigger, it was the Momma bear and the one at the feeder must have been it's young one?

crud crud crud

Care get a couple of Turkish Kangal Dogs....they can get to be around 175 pds and are bred to ward off bears,wolves and Jackels.....and they are supposed to be gentle with kids...........and Turkish Brown Bears are pretty dam big.......:eusa_angel:
Cool. Another pretty Mastiff breed... well sub breed. It looks like a cross between an English and Tibetan mastiff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gBRK_F5Oc]Turkish Kangal Dogs The Biggest Dogs Of The World - YouTube[/ame]

That said, I'd doubt highly their ability to be around other pets. They seem highly animal aggressive, although that could just be these two.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SXHQCxwuXQ&feature=related]Boerboel 180lbs-one of the most amazing speciments seen! - YouTube[/ame]

I want one someday!

I can't imagine living in bear country and not owning a gun.

I have hiked in British Columbia, camped in Alberta, and the Northwest Territories where I was the only person in the camp ground. I have done the same in Idaho, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, and Oregon. Very seldom had a gun with me. In fact, usually the only time I was packing was when we were near a city.

However, having said all of that, I have actually pulled and pointed a gun at a bear that was just getting too friendly. Wanted to come into the camper with my wife, four year old son, and me. We were camped in the woods totally by ourselves, a very peaceful place, with a river in a canyon just east of us. First time my wife had been there.

We saw elk, deer, and antelope driving in. Went to John Day to pick up my cousin who flew his plane in from Montana for a couple of days, had a porcupine in camp when we came back. Deer and antelope through camp every day. Took him back to John Day, and a day later Mr. Bear came to visit. He was not at all aggressive, just curious. Walked right up to me as I worked on attaching the power cord to the camper. Never heard him, just turned around, and there was this blond bear with a black face, black feet, cute little round Mickey Mouse ears, and a small hump on his back. As I walked around the camper to check on where the wife and son were, he walked beside me as if we were old freinds. His back was higher than my waist.

My wife observed us walking around the camper, and said to herself, "I don't care how tame he says the bear is, he isn't bringing it in the camper". My son heard me yelling for him, and came around the side of the camper, I grabbed the back of his shirt, and with one motion, pitched him into the camper. Then I got in, and closed the door. Grabbed a camera, and took a picture of the bear. I was so calm that the picture was all blurred from my hands shaking.

The bear then stood up on his hind legs and looked into the camper as if he wished to come in. I pulled a .50 TC Hawken out of the closet, capped it, and pointed it at the bear, thinking to myself, "Mr. Bear, I really don't want to do this!". My wife at that point decided to close the window in the door, and stepped in front of the gun. One of the few really dumb moves I have ever seen her do. Anyway, the bear decided not to come in, and eventually wander off. And I spent some time lecturing the wife concerning guns and tight situations.

For years I thought that bear was a grizzly, even had a taxidermist identify it as such from some pictures of him I took after my hands stopped shaking from the wifes and bears actions. However, Oregon Outback had a program on the Blue Mountain Black Bear, a sub-species of black bear that has been isolated from most other populations, and that is what it was.

Wife later complimented me on the variety of wildlife that we saw, but said the bear was just one crittur too many. About four years ago, we were at that spot again, and the wife briefly glimped a couger. She wasn't sure what she saw, until I found some tracks. Really love that place.

OK... the bird feeder must go now.

The garbage cans must be put in a bear prof enclose.

Remember that screen doors and windows are not bear prof..... and nor is glass for that matter but better then just a screen.

We have been having a problem with them at Tahoe the last few summers..... they have come inside to homes in the area and ripped up the kitchens looking for food.

Be very careful....

Sue the logging company for driving them into your backyard?

But seriously...the odds are pretty low that black bears see you as a food source. As long as you stay indoors.

Sometimes pets can be used as a warning beacon before they charge you. Do you have any cats? Maybe keep some in a cage on the outskirts of the backyard.

Hope this helps.

gun for black bears....o please....

bear proofing trash is hard and costly....they will simple bash most stuff down..and rip it apart....

Yep, coming up on a bear unexpected out in the woods is always pucker time. However, except for this one bear, every other time I have seen one he, or she, was leaving, having seen me first. Really don't have much fear of wild animals, excepting unknowingly getting between them and their young.

but its that moment of evaluation that really sucks....is it a cub....is it a yearly...does it matter?

is it a young male?

and the one thing you dont wanna do......come on on cubs and then hear the sow behind you......it is hard to back away slowly.....or crabwalk to the side...we just make noise.....no indian walkers with us....it is real hard to resist that urge to run......but then you remember the sow is gonna outrun you and knock your ass over...

talking to someone who has lived thru a bear attack is a scarey thing....one of my son's friend lived thru an attack....the scars on his head tell the story...but when he said he played dead as the bear chewed on him..that was too much for me...

Forum List

Back