Huge Black Bear right now!

o chances are they will be back...to check the feeder....and you are gonna have to rotate the noises.....they will get use to a fog horn....etc...

i saw the neatest bear proof trash bins....you had to put your hand in a shield kinda thing and then push up on a latch....too small for bear paws i guess...it was bolted to concrete set in the ground....

naw just lived with bears most of my life but there were no bears in fayetteville........in alaska i was very young but one of the first lessons was not to get out in the woods alone ....course they would scare us with bear tails and huge stuffed grizzlies that were 100's of ft high.....(i was 6 damn it)

we have bears here....you see them on occasion...and when you are high up in the woods you seem them a lot....more signs of them...coyotes are more worrisome to me than bears

o chances are they will be back...to check the feeder....and you are gonna have to rotate the noises.....they will get use to a fog horn....etc...

i saw the neatest bear proof trash bins....you had to put your hand in a shield kinda thing and then push up on a latch....too small for bear paws i guess...it was bolted to concrete set in the ground....
this thing could carry away the trash can, it was big for a black bear, which are the smallest in the bear family...and so help me goodness, if the black bear is the smallest of the bear family then may the Lord spare me from meeting a brown bear!

o hell.... i use to think that it was like a wee bit bigger than a black bear then i saw them together at grandfather mtn......they were side by side habitats.....brown bears are huge....

naw just lived with bears most of my life but there were no bears in fayetteville........in alaska i was very young but one of the first lessons was not to get out in the woods alone ....course they would scare us with bear tails and huge stuffed grizzlies that were 100's of ft high.....(i was 6 damn it)

we have bears here....you see them on occasion...and when you are high up in the woods you seem them a lot....more signs of them...coyotes are more worrisome to me than bears

once 5 years ago, when we first moved in here, before the neighbor across the way built their home, I saw a coyote in the yard....and we did not let Abbey (the elder fat cat, outside for a year...never saw the coyote again....now this little cat we got from the wild, she has too much spunk and i can see her confronting the bear....she is not afraid of anything, she's an attack dog in cats clothing...

20120618.jpg

guy caught this beast on his trail cam.....and its not full grown.....

okay stop the suet...that is just pure fat and the bears love it... they are gonna come back...they see it as a food source...bears will come to deer feeders do you have one of those?
no deer feeder other than the 7 apple trees, but they don't hang out there until september /october...when the apples get ripe.

okay, the bird feeder out back, has to come down....just read they should not go up until November, when the bears are sleeping and it can stay out until march, then bring the feeder in

5 years being here, and I never saw a bear...

matt saw a couple of cubs crossing the road on his way home from work a couple of years ago, but i have not ever seen a bear close up...even these black bears are big and intimidating to say the least!

between us and the woods, is Dave's property, he has 10 acres abutting the woodlands, then there is us, then the road...I had always felt safe here because Dave's house and property was a barrier between us and the woods....guess i was thinking wrong....sheesh

you are still safe there....you are just co existing.....get over it...get use to it...you know what i find amusing....you thought raccoons could do this....

I can call animal control, but i bet they laugh at me...we are in RURAL...

and there is 500 acres of woods at least, surrounding us and the other 2 homes...and down the road, the loggers have been running...so i think they must be cutting trees down there and maybe this pushed the bears out...

on size, my guess is standing up, about 6 feet, but very very fat and big, maybe 300lbs?

300 is a bit above average for a sow but small for an adult male.
Taking in the suet at night, securing any garbage in the garage, generally removing any reason for a bear to come to your yard is the best course. One of those air horns they sell for boaters etc., will probably scare them off as will yelling at them.
They are hungry and they are opportunists. They will eat just about anything available from suet, to fruit, to small mammals, but they see humans as a threat or maybe a nuisance, not a meal. They will only attack if they have no other option or are protecting a cub.
Animal control will probably only act if the bear becomes a nuisance, and then they would likely trap and move the bear only to have it eventually find it's way back.

Forum List

Back