Hug your kids

the horror of all parents...outliving their kids....

we do hug and we do fight....but even when we are "last word" fighting....we still say...at the end...as we part....i love you..it made be said with contempt....with utter bile in the voice...it may catch in the throat...but somehow it gets said...

a reminder we all need.....

i am so sorry to hear this.

a friend of my daughter was killed in a car accident over the weekend. daytime, no speeding, no drugs or alcohol involved- just an accident. two 17 year old kids dead, three more in the hospital.

hug your kids, and never walk away angry.

Sorry del! :( How terrible!

Being a parent of a teenager is not easy! Hug them, indeed! :cool:

Del,

Thank you for the reminder that no parent should take for-granted but we do. I pray your friends pain is eased in a short time, for what they will be going through is gut wrenching.

I'll say a prayer for your daughter and her friends. Inevitably it seems that before the end of high school we learn we are not immortal. It hurts, you'll be hugging her a lot.

• Banned
Del,

Thank you for the reminder that no parent should take for-granted but we do. I pray your friends pain is eased in a short time, for what they will be going through is gut wrenching.

yeah, Terry, we all miss the forest for the trees from time to time, and things like this bring us back to what counts.

I'm reminded of a story when I lived in Florida as a boy, one time I was teaching my older brother to float (he could not swim or float, so I was teaching him), he was 13 and i was 10, in a pool on the base we lived on.

It was after closing hours so it had no life guard, but a sign saying NOT to swim (which of course we ignored).

Our mother told us to get in the house right away, it was too dangerous, but we laughed and ignored her, and she got really mad, and went to get the old man, yelling at us "I hope you both drown".

Well, my idiot brother was holding my while we floated, and he went to put his feet down and we had drifted into the deep end...and he paniced, jumping on me to get to the poolside, shoving my head underwater when i wasn't expecting it, and keeping me under while he tried to use me as a bridge to the side, which he made...

I swallowed a LOT of clorine water and nearly passed out, but since I was a good swimmer I managed to make it too the side also, before the old man arrived and dragged us out and me to the base hospital...

My mother never got over saying that, for years she blamed herself for it.

The moral is, be careful what you say to kids.

I'm glad it worked out for you and your brother Xen. Thank you for sharing that story of a horrific time in your life.

That is so horrible. It's every parent's worst nightmare. My prayers go out for your daughter and her friends families. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: del
a friend of my daughter was killed in a car accident over the weekend. daytime, no speeding, no drugs or alcohol involved- just an accident. two 17 year old kids dead, three more in the hospital.

hug your kids, and never walk away angry.

That's horrible man.

Sounds almost exactly like something that happened here a couple years ago, only it was night time. Two 17 year old sisters went out late in the evening to pick up milk for their mom from the store, and a speeding state police car ran a 4-way stop intersection and t-boned the sisters' car. It hit them so hard their spines were severed completely in half.

The trooper was just recently acquitted of the big charges, after what was a multi-year investigation and court process. If it was anyone else but a cop, the guy would have been in prison years ago.

Anyway, my condolences.

So sorry to hear of this accident Del. Mind numbing grief for the parents. Yep hug you kids every day, husband sisters brothers and moms too.

Ever since my kids could talk, every time we parted company, we gave hugs and said "I love you". They are all grown up now, and we still do it.

I always tell those I care about to be safe and that I love them everytime we part even for a moment.
Hug anyone you love

That poor family, soooo sad :(

Forum List

Back