Huckabee no threat, Romney says

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
December 13, 2007

Mitt Romney dismissed rival Mike Huckabee as a bit player in the presidential sweepstakes Thursday, saying the former Arkansas governor's liberal views would unravel him when the campaign moved past Iowa.

"Long term, the biggest challenges come from Mayor [Rudy] Giuliani and Senator [John] McCain," Mr. Romney told The Dallas Morning News in a telephone interview. "Governor Huckabee will be a serious competitor in a heavily evangelical state like Iowa, but I don't think long term he emerges as the major challenge."
….
Mr. Romney then blasted Mr. Huckabee's record as Arkansas governor, saying he supported in-state tuition breaks for illegal immigrants, pardoned more than a thousands convicted criminals, increased spending and raised taxes.

"His record and position on key issues will be unacceptable to most Republican voters," Mr. Romney said. "He's a social-issues conservative like myself, but he has a more liberal-leaning history on some of the economic and crime-related issues."
….
Mr. Huckabee has enjoyed a surge in the polls, even leading Iowa in some. So he and Mr. Romney have for several days locked into a personal battle, not just for Iowa, but also for conservative and evangelical voters.

On Monday, Mr. Huckabee said voters were taking a look at him because they wanted change.

"A lot of people are just tired of business as usual in politics," he said. "They like the positive message. They see in me something that they see in themselves."

Mr. Romney, who was in California on Thursday night for a fundraiser and a visit to his newest grandson, said he was still confident he could win the Iowa caucuses.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tional/stories/121407dnpolromney.29a0dd5.html

I thought this even funnier.

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_...14/huck-s-helpful-primer-on-gender-roles.aspx

"Let me see if I've got this straight. In 1998, Mike Huckabee signed onto a full-page ad in USA Today supporting the Southern Baptists' position that:

A wife is to submit graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ.

Fair enough, assuming you go in for that sort of arrangement. But then earlier this week, perhaps a tad on the defensive, Huck reassured ABC News that a woman would and "absolutely" should become president--meaning leader of the entire nation--one day soon.

So how exactly would that work?"

Hucklebee is an idiot.

You dismiss people too easily when you dont like them. Huckabee isnt an idiot. He is very bright actually. He knows how to pander himself to a crowd and convince them he is their friend. an idiot can't do that.

But of course doing that over time will cause you to contradict yourself multiple times. and he is getting caught up on that. He isnt an idiot. but his wisdom isnt all there.

You dismiss people too easily when you dont like them. Huckabee isnt an idiot. He is very bright actually. He knows how to pander himself to a crowd and convince them he is their friend. an idiot can't do that.

But of course doing that over time will cause you to contradict yourself multiple times. and he is getting caught up on that. He isnt an idiot. but his wisdom isnt all there.

He does seem to be a bit rough around the edges. The more experienced Romney will capitalize on every misstep.

Romney is wrong. Huck is a threat to him. Romney has been actively courting the religious right, yet Romney is coming off as a flip-flopper given his record as governor of Massachusetts. Huck is a true-believer, which appeals to the evangelicals.

Huckabee is a threat, but most likely to have a Howard Dean melt down.

Mitt, guess who just passed your Morman ars? That's right, it was he Huckster!

Forum List

Back