Huckabee denies backing cap and trade oops

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee went out of his way Wednesday to denounce a brief reference to his stand on energy issues deep in a story posted on the political website RealClearPolitics.com.

The issue at hand dates back to 2007, when Huckabee made energy security a key plank in his bid for the 2008 nomination, saying then that he favored a cap-and-trade approach to curbing carbon emissions — a policy later embraced by President Barack Obama.

In a piece on Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), RealClearPolitics's Erin McPike wrote: “For his part, Huckabee supported mandatory cap and trade in late 2007 when he was running for president, as did the eventual nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain. Huckabee changed his position in October of 2009 via a blog post on his political action committee's website.”

That prompted an indignant statement from Huckabee: “In a recent Internet post, a contributor makes the claim that I supported cap and trade in late 2007 while running for president. To put it simply, that's just not true.”

Huckabee then laid out his position on cap and trade, stating: “If companies chose to participate voluntarily as part of their corporate policy, then fine. But I was clear [in 2007] that we could not force U.S. businesses to do what their Chinese counterparts refused to — and doing so would have been a serious job killer.”

“This kind of mandatory energy policy would have a horrible impact on this nation's job market,” he continued. “I never did support and never would support it — period.”

But Huckabee’s position on capping carbon emission over the years has been far from cut and dried — and his quick and harsh response to a reporter's tangential mention of his position shows he remains extremely sensitive to accusations of flip-flopping.

Read more: Mike Huckabee denies backing cap and trade - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

He lies.

See, I wouldnt have as big a problem if he said "Yes i supported this at one point but then i learned more about it and realized it wasn't a good solution to the problem". If he did that, Id have complete respect for his position.

But to deny he made it whatsoever. I think that's just messed up.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee went out of his way Wednesday to denounce a brief reference to his stand on energy issues deep in a story posted on the political website RealClearPolitics.com.

The issue at hand dates back to 2007, when Huckabee made energy security a key plank in his bid for the 2008 nomination, saying then that he favored a cap-and-trade approach to curbing carbon emissions — a policy later embraced by President Barack Obama.

In a piece on Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), RealClearPolitics's Erin McPike wrote: “For his part, Huckabee supported mandatory cap and trade in late 2007 when he was running for president, as did the eventual nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain. Huckabee changed his position in October of 2009 via a blog post on his political action committee's website.”

That prompted an indignant statement from Huckabee: “In a recent Internet post, a contributor makes the claim that I supported cap and trade in late 2007 while running for president. To put it simply, that's just not true.”

Huckabee then laid out his position on cap and trade, stating: “If companies chose to participate voluntarily as part of their corporate policy, then fine. But I was clear [in 2007] that we could not force U.S. businesses to do what their Chinese counterparts refused to — and doing so would have been a serious job killer.”

“This kind of mandatory energy policy would have a horrible impact on this nation's job market,” he continued. “I never did support and never would support it — period.”

But Huckabee’s position on capping carbon emission over the years has been far from cut and dried — and his quick and harsh response to a reporter's tangential mention of his position shows he remains extremely sensitive to accusations of flip-flopping.

Read more: Mike Huckabee denies backing cap and trade - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

I'm guessing his explanation will

1. involve the words 'taken out of context', and,

2. be at least as funny as the story is so far.

Appeasing anyone is a bad idea. Be honest. Take the consequences.

If you believe something, tell the truth about it.

if you dont, dont.

Be able to explain both why and why not.

And then if you change your positions, be honest about it and explain why you did.

Don't change your positions simply because of the crowd you are in.

Tonight's Rachel Maddow 'Debunction Junction' segment.

I'll post the link when it comes available.

Huck is on the outside looking in on lots of issues.

That's right. Have you ever Googled his position on Illegal Immigration and amnesty? He is not the man I would vote for. He is really a RINO.

From Dakota Voice:

Mike Huckabee
The Politico reports Mike Huckabee is upset that he isn’t getting enough attention, and is rumbling more and more in the direction of a 2012 presidential run.

(Sigh) Anyone with a shred of decency and capacity for self-evaluation who had Huckabee’s record would not waste our time on running for president…or anything of any importance.

Do I really need to remind my fellow Americans that Mike Huckabee has an abysmal record on illegal immigration? Huckabee is the governor who called efforts to crack down on illegal immigration “inflammatory and race-baiting.” Huckabee is the governor who fought for tuition discounts for illegal aliens. Huckabee is the governor who worked to bring a Mexican consulate to Arkansas–the kind of consulate that has been known to issue “Matricula Consular” ID cards which give the fraudulent impression of legal residence in the United States to illegal aliens. Huckabee also worked to make it easier for illegal aliens to get drivers licenses, again creating the illusion that they are in our country legally. Huckabee is the governor who said a bill to deny public assistance and voting rights to illegal aliens “inflames those who are racist and bigots and makes them think there’s a real problem. But there’s not.” There’s no problem with illegal aliens pouring across our border by the millions, fraudulently using Social Security numbers and assuming privileges reserved for law-abiding Americans? Huckabee sounds like the typical liberal here.

Do I really need to remind my fellow Americans that Mike Huckabee has sounded embarrassingly like an appeasement liberal when it comes to dealing decisively with terrorism and terrorists? Huckabee is the man who attended a liberal appeasement confab which advocated going easy on terrorists. Also, like Barack Obama and other appeasement liberals, Huckabee said he would close the terrorist POW camp at Club Gitmo; after all, the POW camp upsets people who hate us anyway.

Do I really need to remind my fellow Americans about Mike Huckabee’s less than stellar record on taxes? He pushed for taxes (excuse me, “fees”) on nursing home beds, gas taxes, and about 20 other taxes that went up on his watch.

Much more: http://www.dakotavoice.com/2010/12/...utm_campaign=Feed:+DakotaVoice+(Dakota+Voice)

Forum List

Back