Huck Finn

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I've just picked this up for the first time in many years.
I am still in the early stages of the novel, which feel like an extension of the Tom Sawyer book.
Much of it is a bit tiresome but this was an age where novelists were paid by the word so some allowance can be made.
But even at this stage it is clearly the work of a genius.
How is Mark Twain rated in the US ?
I can't think of another American that compares.

I am still in the early stages of the novel, which feel like an extension of the Tom Sawyer book.
Much of it is a bit tiresome but this was an age where novelists were paid by the word so some allowance can be made.

Mark Twain is considered one of the greats in American Literature.

The problem is that Huck Finn has been taking out of a lot of the school curriculum because of liberal use of the N-word.

Coming from a citizen who produced Thomas Hardy that is irony indeed.

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are still taught in English lit classes in school. Mark Twain was an acerbic critic of mankind's foibles and he kept us laughing as he plunged the knife into our guts.
Even us Americans realized he was a master.

Because he had his characters use the language and voice the attitudes of people at the time, Huck Finn is scowled on for calling Jim a ni**er, and that is why the book is sometimes banned in schools.. But Twain treated Jim right in the end. It was something of a shocker at the time.

Twain is admired as a novelist but also for his satire and political commentary

He is considered a genius.

Forum List

Back