http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Levy

None of you idiots knows one thing about raising cattle.

I've probably forgotten too much to do an adequate job of it now, though at one time I was a good hand.

The one thing I do remember, when it comes to farm/ranch country there are plenty of hobby farmers out there who like to fantasize that they are cattle barons.

That would be guys like you, All Hat.

Well that's where you make your mistake, I never claimed to be a cattle baron nor do I fantasize about being one. I have under 100 head on 500+ acres. I don't need grain silos nor do I require a lot of hay. My cattle are grassfed and graze on a variety of high protein brush and grasses mostly bermuda and I have a winter pasture where I plant rye grass.

I wean the calves after eight months or sooner depending on the condition of the cow, the calves are then sold to a feed lot. I have two ranch hands that keep up with the daily chores and help with seeding and fertilizing of both my hay pasture and winter pasture. Raising cattle isn't hard and the few that I have don't require much attention. But of course you should know that since you claim to have done this type of work. Oh and I don't de-horn my cattle but I do castrate the bulls when they are between 2 and 3 months old when I give them their initial Blackleg or 8-way vaccination shots. Steers sell better than bulls, any cattleman would tell you that.

I know my brother who is a cattle rancher would never have the time to post on messageboard, especially as much as Lonestar does.

Ranching is a really just a hobby, I currently have 75 head of Beefmasters, they don't need much tending, I usually throw out some hay when I get home in the evening, feed my two paint horses, toss out of bucket of supplement every now and then. I have guys that mow, bale hay, mend fencing (when needed) and other things that I don't feel like doing or have time for. Twice a year I have a round-up to vaccinate and worm all the cattle and take the calves to market, and I swap out my bulls every other year. It's not a lot really, it's not a full time job by any means.

I also have two small businesses (co-own) with thirteen employees and I currently work as an advisor to an Engineering/Construction firm. In all honesty I don't need to work another day, I have enough money and assets that I could live out the rest of my life in reasonable comfort.

And right now it's lunchtime and I have a lunch date with a client.

But please continue with your little digs, I'll need a good laugh when I return.

Luissa's brother:

415SWSCM25L.jpg

Lonestar Logic:

41XEUTFRzdL.jpg

My brother runs a ranch in Wyomning, there is nothing light about it. :lol:

Giving the fact my ACTUALLY runs a cattle ranch, I might know something. I also know I have never seen a rancher wear a sleeveless shirt.

Your brother could be a heart surgeon that doesn't mean you know a thing about heart surgery.

Then you've never been to a Texas ranch. I bet you've never seen a ranch hand wearing shorts pants, rubber boots, hunting vest and a stetson hat neither, that doesn't mean it don't happen.

Giving the fact my ACTUALLY runs a cattle ranch, I might know something. I also know I have never seen a rancher wear a sleeveless shirt.

Your brother could be a heart surgeon that doesn't mean you know a thing about heart surgery.

Then you've never been to a Texas ranch. I bet you've never seen a ranch hand wearing shorts pants, rubber boots, hunting vest and a stetson hat neither, that doesn't mean it don't happen.

My brother FORCED me to work on his ranch a few times. I don't know much, but I do know some things. :D

My brother FORCED me to work on his ranch a few times. I don't know much, but I do know some things. :D

Some is better than none I s'pose.

'YOu might want to look who was throwing stones in this thread.'

I was not referring to anybody in particular - just making a comment is all.

I do know that a bull will stare at you for ten minutes!

He had about 200 black angus bulls in a field, and went out to feed them. I was suppose to go with him, and this one stared at me for a long time. I been there a bunch of times, but I still am not a fan of rubbing up against bulls.

He had about 200 black angus bulls in a field, and went out to feed them. I was suppose to go with him, and this one stared at me for a long time. I been there a bunch of times, but I still am not a fan of rubbing up against bulls.

I saw a Charlois bull stick it's head under my mom's horse and flip it with her on it. She was able to get off in mid-air and it didn't hurt her, but she was lucky. Bulls are pretty cantankerous. Some breeds more than others.

I saw a Charlois bull stick it's head under my mom's horse and flip it with her on it. She was able to get off in mid-air and it didn't hurt her, but she was lucky. Bulls are pretty cantankerous. Some breeds more than others.

Jeezus g, For a guy who hated it you sure as hell can't stop talking about it! :razz: Did you spend long hours in the barn with a certain favorite Cow, Steer or Bull bro? Maybe a horse or Pig I hate to suggest? :eusa_shhh:~BH

Jeezus g, For a guy who hated it you sure as hell can't stop talking about it! :razz: Did you spend long hours in the barn with a particular Cow, Steer or Bull bro? Maybe a horse or Pig I hate to suggest? :eusa_shhh:~BH

Memory lane is easier than studying at night.

Jeezus g, For a guy who hated it you sure as hell can't stop talking about it! :razz: Did you spend long hours in the barn with a particular Cow, Steer or Bull bro? Maybe a horse or Pig I hate to suggest? :eusa_shhh:~BH

I was honestly just joking with you though g. I like you and think that you're an intelligent guy other than the Political Party you continue to support. ~BH

I was honestly just joking with you though g. I like you and think that you're an intelligent guy other than the Political Party you continue to support. ~BH

Oh, I know. I was going to come up with something witty to retort to the bestiality crack, but my brain is a little fried. right now.

This place is not good for studying. :lol:

They also have good memories.

I am pretty sure the bull was fucking with me.

Or simply curious. One reason I tend a small herd is it's easier to keep them gentle, I can hand feed any one of my cows, my bulls are a different story because I change bulls every so often they don't take to being hand fed.

Or simply curious. One reason I tend a small herd is it's easier to keep them gentle, I can hand feed any one of my cows, my bulls are a different story because I change bulls every so often they don't take to being hand fed.

The rest of the herd went to eat, he stayed right where he was at and just stared for what seemed like 10 minutes.
The ranch my brother runs very large, I think he runs 20,000 acres for a man who probably has 100,000 all together. Of couse the man has a few ranches, and a lot of cattle. That day there was probably 200 bulls in that one spot.
Their operation is all organic you could say, they don't give them hormones, they don't have chips, and they are all free range.

Forum List

Back