HRC Condemns Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant’s Statement of Support for LGBT Adoption Ban

I found this story out of backwards Mississippi particularly disturbing in light of the enormous gains made by LGBT people in recent years and culminating in the SCOTUS ruling in Obergefell that bans on same sex marriage are unconstitutional. This stance on adoption not only goes against the tide of the evolving standards of human decency by perpetuating discrimination, but also harms children who are in need of a loving home as well as those who are currently in the care of gay people and who could benefit by a second parent adoption by the legal parent’s partner.

This policy is especially irrational and hateful in view of the fact that Mississippi is the only state in the country with such a ban in place. Moreover, many states have been allowing adoption by gay people long before marriage was even on the radar. In my state of New Jersey, joint adoption by same sex couples has been allowed since 1997, the first state to officially do so. It was not much of an issue then and it certainly is not one now. How is it possible that two states in the United States are existing is such a disparate moral, logical and legal reality?

Gov. Bryant’s support of a state law that enshrines discrimination is shameful, especially coming at a time when it is imperative that we find permanent families and safe, loving homes for every child - including many in Mississippi currently in foster care,” said Rob Hill, HRC Mississippi State Director. “We call on Attorney General Jim Hood to come down on the right side of history -- don’t defend the ban, allow it to become another discarded artifact of discrimination.”
HRC Condemns Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant s Statement of Support for LGBT Adoption Ban Human Rights Campaign

The case presents challenges to the ban from the perspective of a parent who is unable to receive legal recognition of her parental status because her spouse is the child’s legal parent and also a woman; it also challenges the prohibition of a same-sex couple to adopt a child through the foster care system. Despite the discriminatory ban, which has been in place since 2000, Mississippi has the highest number of LGBT people raising children.

“With one-third of Mississippi’s 3,484 same-sex couples already raising children and 100 Mississippi youth in foster care waiting for loving adoptive homes, shame on the governor for trying to keep Mississippi tethered to a discriminatory past.” Hill said.
HRC Condemns Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant s Statement of Support for LGBT Adoption Ban Human Rights Campaign

August 12, 2015 by HRC staff

Who in their right mind would let fags raise a kid? Nature is nature, you can't think it away.
Listen Weasel, Only an idiot wouldn't know that millions of kids have been and are being raised by gay people and they are doing very well. I would guess that they are doing a lot better than those being raised by ignorant bigots. Get the hell off of my thread unless you have something reasonable and intelligent to say.:banned03:

Who in their right mind would let fags raise a kid? Nature is nature, you can't think it away.
Listen Weasel, Only an idiot wouldn't know that millions of kids have been and are being raised by gay people and they are doing very well. I would guess that they are doing a lot better than those being raised by ignorant bigots. Get the hell off of my thread unless you have something reasonable and intelligent to say.:banned03:
Patriot, I agree with you. I know of Lesbian Moms who are great parents to their son. Too bad people paint with a wide brush.

Patriot, I agree with you. I know of Lesbian Moms who are great parents to their son. Too bad people paint with a wide brush.
They may be but nature is still nature. Male/female parents is how the animal kingdom works. Kids need both, genders are different for a reason.

I'm surprised about Clinton condemning this support.
Clinton did what?? What are you talking about
Oh dear. I did not read the entire article obviously. HRC does not stand for Clinton? :(
And why would you be surprised if Clinton did in fact condemn Mississippi?
I didn't read it as she condemns the ban. I read it as she condemned the act. No one who is running for office would be condemning gays. Except of course. Huckabee...

They may be but nature is still nature. Male/female parents is how the animal kingdom works. Kids need both, genders are different for a reason.
Yes, we know that is your opinion.

I'm not in this horse race. I don't understand if it is nature or nurture that produces gays. I support gays for who they are and support them raising children. But, I still believe in a traditional marriage is with a male and female.

Why can't you stupid bed wetters leave people alone?

If the "backwards" (in your warped mind) people of a state don't want to give in to your regressive political pressure, then fuck off. They don't give a shit if you like licking your own shit of some queers pecker. Why you assholes insist that everyone else has to see things your way is beyond me.

BTW "progressive patriot" is the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen.

Pete, no one is forcing you to marry someone of your own sex, but we won't let you not allow people to love and marry who they will.

Why can't you stupid bed wetters leave people alone?

If the "backwards" (in your warped mind) people of a state don't want to give in to your regressive political pressure, then fuck off. They don't give a shit if you like licking your own shit of some queers pecker. Why you assholes insist that everyone else has to see things your way is beyond me.

BTW "progressive patriot" is the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen.

So, you hate gays so much that you're willing to offer up children as acceptable, collateral casualties by depriving them of the opportunity to have two legal parents ?

Forum List

Back