HR 40: Reparations for African-Americans

Would legislation help race relations in U.S.?

• Yes, it would ease racial tensions.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • No, it would reinforce racial tensions.

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • Don't know/No opinion

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 100% inheritence tax system which I proposed wouldn't reward Blacks any more than Whites.

It would tax all inheritences and evenly divide them between every citizen.

It's probably an unworkable plan, but I like to drag it out to prove to people that -- contrary to what the masters and their obsequious servant classes tell us about how they like hard work and merit -- they no more want a level playing field that rewards merit than they want another crack in the asses.

What they want is to have and give to their children the enormous advantage of starting out with a shitload of money.

Bascially everything that comes out of the propaganda machine of the master class is a lie.

The fact that so many working class Americans fall for it, is a testament to the power of propaganda.

Among other things, yes it would. Were this plan to really be put into effect it would cuase and economic clusterfuck so enormous that nobody would ever be able to get things right again.

Yup, it would certainly encouraage profligate spending, I agree.

Sell it and return the procedes to the surviving citizens of the nation equally.

Yup, it would TOTALLY alter our value system, I completely agree.

No.

It might have to, who knows?

Come on now. You're a realist. When has the government EVER held itself to the same laws it imposes on us?

Of course it wouldn't impose such responsibility on itself. It would exempt itself from that onus.

Proabaly not since autos are not investments but expenditures. It would probably increase sales of cars.

See above

Obviously shares owned by the deceased would sold by the government and the procedes given to living Americans...assuming you could find anyone interested in buying them or any other investments.

Did you actually miss the part in my post where I noted that even I THOUGHT the idea was unworkable?

Government doesn't NEED a recipe for mismanagment.

Fairness? WE all know life ain't fair, right?

There ya go...lets

No problem.

You're actually the first person with enough balls to even ask these excellent questions.

Usually people are so utterly appauled that they just start screaming COMMUNISM and stop thinking.

A link would save you needing to repeat yourself. Assuming you can be bothered to answer my rambling stream of consciousness!

Life is a rambling stream of consciousness, amigo.

Some of us just ramble in more interesting ways than others.

I usually pull out the Editecian 100% inheritence tax when people start Whining to us about a FAIR system of taxation.

My plan is just as STUPIDLY FAIR as the FLAT TAX and VAT tax, but you are apparently the first person on this board to even begin thinking about how FAIR does not always mean WORKABLE.

That's the whole reason I keep this chestnut in reserve, you see?

To show people that simplistic FAIRNESS is not always RIGHT.

It could also "inspire" more to leave their earthly goods to charity.... or their cats....

So, with this line of reasoning, you

1) affirm the existence of race as a real and legally determinable human quality
2) affirm the moral acceptability of collective racial group guilt

Which is funny, because I thought liberals

1) denied race had any scientific validity and
2) abhorred blaming entire racial groups for the activities of some members of a group

Ooops! Yet another example of liberal hypocracy.
Btw, what if a white person from South Africa moves to the U.S.? Would they too not be an African American?

I'm rather certain that thought never occurred to them.... Probably never occurred to the white South African either.

No, it has. There was a lawsuit once over a scholarship that was stated as being for "African-Americans". A white man from South Africa, who had moved here and become a naturalized American, applied and won the scholarship before they realized he wasn't black. They tried to take it back. He sued and won.

I am in favor of Congress giving reparations...to anyone who is legally a slave on or after the day the bill passes or any living person who was a slave in the United States before the Emancipation Proclamation.

Bold type was added for clarity

So are you for a 100% estate tax? Doesn't seem to me like you want anyone's descendants to have any of their wealth.

The 100% inheritence tax system which I proposed wouldn't reward Blacks any more than Whites.

It would tax all inheritences and evenly divide them between every citizen.

It's probably an unworkable plan, but I like to drag it out to prove to people that -- contrary to what the masters and their obsequious servant classes tell us about how they like hard work and merit -- they no more want a level playing field that rewards merit than they want another crack in the asses.

What they want is to have and give to their children the enormous advantage of starting out with a shitload of money.

Bascially everything that comes out of the propaganda machine of the master class is a lie.

The fact that so many working class Americans fall for it, is a testament to the power of propaganda.

Yes, because the ability to help the people I love and give them a head start in life isn't a merit reward for my hard work. Or, more accurately, it's one you've decided I don't deserve to have, and that instead, all my hard work should go to benefit YOU.

Try to understand this. I don't know you from a hole in the ground. I don't give a rat's ass about your well-being. I SURE don't value you as much as I do my offspring. And you have a hell of a damned nerve asserting more right to the profits of my labor than they have, ESPECIALLY based on some half-assed notion of "fairness". Maybe in YOUR world, it's "fair" for you to take the savings of someone you've never met away from the people who were the entire focus of their labor and effort, but not in mine.

Ooops! Yet another example of liberal hypocracy.
Btw, what if a white person from South Africa moves to the U.S.? Would they too not be an African American?

I'm rather certain that thought never occurred to them.... Probably never occurred to the white South African either.

No, it has. There was a lawsuit once over a scholarship that was stated as being for "African-Americans". A white man from South Africa, who had moved here and become a naturalized American, applied and won the scholarship before they realized he wasn't black. They tried to take it back. He sued and won.

Interesting case. I would ask though, how on earth did he win if he was already a naturalized citizen. Once done, that would mean that you pretty much give up any claim to former ties, including "heritage".

Good question for Obama.

why? has he supported reparations?

I know ... it must suck, something racist that doesn't apply.

poor baby.

Speaking to a crowd of minority journalists at the Unity '08 conference, Obama responded to a question about reparations as follows:
I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds.
Obama, Reparations and Big Government - Peter Kirsanow - The Corner on National Review Online

I realize that the piece from which this quote comes is a conservative source, but he does make some valid points.

Anyone who disagrees with reparations because they believe that its giving blacks and unearned privilege should likewise also disagree with white privilege.

Anyone who disagrees with reparations because they believe that its giving blacks and unearned privilege should likewise also disagree with white privilege.

Giving anyone anything for no reason other than skin color is stupid.

That personifies white privilege, people who have been done wrong need to be properly compensated otherwise a permanent disparity will remain.

That personifies white privilege, people who have been done wrong need to be properly compensated otherwise a permanent disparity will remain.

So you are saying that a black person is incapable of earning money on their own?

There are thousands of white people born into the same lives, and many of them get out with little to no help at all, are you contending that black people are inferior to the point they need extra incentive?

I do, and I also believe that Affirmative Action had a purpose, but has long since served that purpose. On this particular issue, Reparations not only goes beyond AA, it reinforces the idea that a centuries-old wrong hasn't yet been made right, and would enable the "black community" to do the exact opposite of what Obama challenged them to do in his Father's Day speech last year.

So you are saying that a black person is incapable of earning money on their own?

There are thousands of white people born into the same lives, and many of them get out with little to no help at all, are you contending that black people are inferior to the point they need extra incentive?

Kitten you always take people's words out of context, whites have an advantage because of their whiteness, the Bass even pointed this out in the NAACP thread and those subprime loans.

So privilege is only privilege if whites are getting something that blacks aren't, but disparity isn't disparity if blacks are getting something for free that whites aren't?

Blacks should get it for free, but whites should have to earn it and even then they should not be allowed to keep it?

That personifies the chip that has weighted down some elements of the black community for decades. It's so fucked up it's not even worth discussing, Charlie.

People claim "Whitey" is keeping Blacks down...they're right. Whitey keeps giving out freebies to the Black community, so Blacks don't have to work for it because they know no matter what, they'll get a job or a position in a job because of a freebie in the form of Affirmative Action.

Maybe we should get rid of stuff like Affirmative Action.

Good question for Obama.

why? has he supported reparations?

I know ... it must suck, something racist that doesn't apply.

poor baby.

Oh....you were so close too.

Well, not really. You just like taking bits and pieces from conversations and spinning them so you can make a earth-shaking (in your mind) post.

Now..follow along.

My response was to:

And what do you do with the people like my nephew and grandson, who are half-black and half-white? Do they pay reparations to themselves?

Key point of this post was half-black and half-white.

To which I responded:

Good question for Obama.

Why? Because he is half-black and half-white.

We can go over that again if you need to.

Kitten you always take people's words out of context, whites have an advantage because of their whiteness, the Bass even pointed this out in the NAACP thread and those subprime loans.

Really ... so then when I was told that I was disabled and unable to ever get a job again because of it they were mistaking me for a black person?

No, I just show that there is a deeper effect of what you claim to those you are making the claim to. Telling someone over and over again that they are being discriminated against only justifies their not trying, especially in a nation where the discrimination is all in your head.

My black brother in law and his wife make a lot more money than my Italian husband and I. Their kids went to college on scholarships offered ONLY to blacks.

Seems to me, we've gotten to the point it's time for the blacks to start compensating the whites.

My black brother in law and his wife make a lot more money than my Italian husband and I. Their kids went to college on scholarships offered ONLY to blacks.

Seems to me, we've gotten to the point it's time for the blacks to start compensating the whites.

Sadly this story is the rule now, thanks Affirmative Action ...

Stupid idea.

Help them what need help and stop pretending that the only people screwed by this nation were Black.

There are twice as many White people living in poverty as there are Blacks in this nation.

The fact that Blacks are twice as likely to be living in poverty, while likely the result of history, is irrelevant to finding the solution to the problem of poverty in the USA.

I agree, except your twice as many quote is complete Bullshit because you left out that there are also 6 times as many white people in this country. That stat you said is irrelevant, you look at the stat that says the total percentage and the numbers look totally different. Though, I agree with the rest of your position

Stupid idea.

Help them what need help and stop pretending that the only people screwed by this nation were Black.

There are twice as many White people living in poverty as there are Blacks in this nation.

The fact that Blacks are twice as likely to be living in poverty, while likely the result of history, is irrelevant to finding the solution to the problem of poverty in the USA.

I agree, except your twice as many quote is complete Bullshit because you left out that there are also 6 times as many white people in this country. That stat you said is irrelevant, you look at the stat that says the total percentage and the numbers look totally different. Though, I agree with the rest of your position

Wow. Talk about missing the point entirely.

No one ever tried to say, or even imply, that a larger percentage of whites than blacks lives in poverty. In fact, the poster clearly stated in the next paragraph that the opposite is true. The point was simply that blacks aren't the only ones who get screwed over and live in poverty. In that case, it's VERY relevant that there are lots of white people - and those of other races - below the poverty level.

Forum List

Back