HP Printer Ink B.S.

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have an HP Office Jet printer that has been absolutely great. It was inexpensive, but it will copy, fax, print from any device in my house...it's great.

I bought HP ink for the first replacement set, and it was fine, but a bit expensive. So I looked around and found an aftermarket ink company, tried theirs and it has been better than fine. When I first installed it I got a message that admonished me for not using HP ink, but no problems with it. i actually bought a couple sets of replacement cartridges at one time.

So a couple days ago my ink was dry and I installed another set of replacement cartridges. They are identical to the ones I pulled out. But the printer told me it was installed improperly. Bullshit. I re-installed them. No difference. So I got in touch with the company that sold me the ink and they gave me a couple things to try. Shut it off, pull the plug, and so on.

No change.

So I got Tech Support and the guy tells me that the latest HP product update put this "preventer" in the software, so that you can only use HP ink. I broke down and bought a set of HP ink, and of course it works fine.

I believe they are not "allowed" to do this. It is a tying arrangement that is prohibited by one of the anti-trust laws (I forget which one).

i am sad.

I had a HP desktop, printer, camera and a picture printer along with the printer that was loaded with XP...But they just kept increasing the supply list costs. But yes now they have devised several ways to force you to buy their ink and other peripherals.., to let drivers expire on old printers, etc. It became a nightmare. Ink was too overpriced period.
The Canon deep well ink is okay but the printers start out at three hundred buck and the ink does run out if you use it frequently.

I have an HP Office Jet printer that has been absolutely great. It was inexpensive, but it will copy, fax, print from any device in my house...it's great.

I bought HP ink for the first replacement set, and it was fine, but a bit expensive. So I looked around and found an aftermarket ink company, tried theirs and it has been better than fine. When I first installed it I got a message that admonished me for not using HP ink, but no problems with it. i actually bought a couple sets of replacement cartridges at one time.

So a couple days ago my ink was dry and I installed another set of replacement cartridges. They are identical to the ones I pulled out. But the printer told me it was installed improperly. Bullshit. I re-installed them. No difference. So I got in touch with the company that sold me the ink and they gave me a couple things to try. Shut it off, pull the plug, and so on.

No change.

So I got Tech Support and the guy tells me that the latest HP product update put this "preventer" in the software, so that you can only use HP ink. I broke down and bought a set of HP ink, and of course it works fine.

I believe they are not "allowed" to do this. It is a tying arrangement that is prohibited by one of the anti-trust laws (I forget which one).

i am sad.
Bastards

No change.

i am sad.
Bastards
Probably can't do anything because of a license agreement for users..HP ink must be used in HP printers because it maintains their certifiability with product specifications.

No change.

i am sad.

I had the same problem with an HP printer. I replaced the cartridges but it tells me one color is empty. I got a new cartridge and it told me a different color is empty. It will not print, even if it is black ink only. Damn thing sits there with $130.00 worth of new ink that won't print.

It is where the big money is. A few years back I was buying someone a laser printer. I noticed xerox was a lot cheaper and started to buy it but when I went to get the toner I realized it was almost as much as the damn printer and about twice what other brands were, so I went with a brother printer. Theirs is cheaper on toner and there are a lot of generic manufacturers that can cut another $20+ off the high yield cartridges.

As for the op, I am wondering if you can uninstall the updates, reinstall the driver from disc and escape their paywall at least until you use up the generics you bought.

No change.

i am sad.

I had the same problem with an HP printer. I replaced the cartridges but it tells me one color is empty. I got a new cartridge and it told me a different color is empty. It will not print, even if it is black ink only. Damn thing sits there with $130.00 worth of new ink that won't print.

I buy ink to donate to a church that has a similar problem. They never use the color but when it dries up, they have to refill it just to be able to use the black.

No change.

i am sad.

Get that tech guy to tell you how to revert to un-update the software. :death:

I have an HP printer and it works fine on eBay inks. Gonna have to look into how it updates so I can prevent it.

No change.

i am sad.

I buy ink to donate to a church that has a similar problem. They never use the color but when it dries up, they have to refill it just to be able to use the black.

That's common too. It's another frickin' scam.

No change.

i am sad.

That's because you keep printing copies of your ass.

No change.

i am sad.

c96072bbfc53e08391e1a7cfee8c0f1a.jpg

No change.

i am sad.

At his age he uses a stunt butt...

It is where the big money is. A few years back I was buying someone a laser printer. I noticed xerox was a lot cheaper and started to buy it but when I went to get the toner I realized it was almost as much as the damn printer and about twice what other brands were, so I went with a brother printer. Theirs is cheaper on toner and there are a lot of generic manufacturers that can cut another $20+ off the high yield cartridges.

As for the op, I am wondering if you can uninstall the updates, reinstall the driver from disc and escape their paywall at least until you use up the generics you bought.
Won't use any Brother products have had nothing but problems with them and they don't always play well with Linux. Just last year I tried a new Brother printer again, took it back, wouldn't work with Linux no matter what I did. Replaced it with a Canon, same issue so I went back to HP, worked as soon as I hooked it up.

Which is why when I’m in the market for a printer I check the prices of replacement carts before deciding which to buy. Unreal how expensive some of them are.

That's fine, on the day of sale. But what the OP said was that HP "upgraded" (read: virused) his software to reject anything without the HP imprimatur.

Who do they think they are ---- Panasonic?

Which is why when I’m in the market for a printer I check the prices of replacement carts before deciding which to buy. Unreal how expensive some of them are.

That's fine, on the day of sale. But what the OP said was that HP "upgraded" (read: virused) his software to reject anything without the HP imprimatur.

Who do they think they are ---- Panasonic?
My reading comprehension’s fine.

Simply pointed out how I now buy printers in order to not fall into another expensive cart trap.

Won't use any Brother products have had nothing but problems with them and they don't always play well with Linux. Just last year I tried a new Brother printer again, took it back, wouldn't work with Linux no matter what I did. Replaced it with a Canon, same issue so I went back to HP, worked as soon as I hooked it up.

I know nothing of Linux. I did lose use of an older brother product for awhile when I switched computers to a new version of windows....I think it was when 8 came out and there was no driver for the longest time. Otherwise I have never had a problem with them and they seem to last a fair amount of time. That one that wouldn't switch was one we had had in the family for about 10 years and it was still going along on the original drum.

I know nothing of Linux. I did lose use of an older brother product for awhile when I switched computers to a new version of windows....I think it was when 8 came out and there was no driver for the longest time. Otherwise I have never had a problem with them and they seem to last a fair amount of time. That one that wouldn't switch was one we had had in the family for about 10 years and it was still going along on the original drum.
You've been lucky, Brother printers used to be infamous for being cheap, junk printers that didn't last.

I will never purchase anything but an Epson.

Love their latest-

EcoTank Supertank Refillable Ink Printers | Epson US
WorkForce ET-4750 EcoTank All-in-One Supertank Printer | Inkjet | Printers | For Work | Epson US
EcoTank 502 Ink Bottles
Exclusive auto-stop ink bottles.
Epson’s EcoTank replacement ink bottles offer thousands of vivid pages1, while delivering genuine Epson quality. When it comes time to buy more ink, you save up to 80 percent on low-cost replacement ink bottles2. Plus, these ink bottles feature exclusive autostop technology, with each color uniquely keyed for easy filling of each tank. Ideal for everyday printing, these ultra high-capacity inks mean you can go longer before replacing them for an unbeatable combination of value3 and convenience.

Features/Benefits:

• Amazing value — get thousands of vivid pages1; save up to 80 percent on ink with low-cost replacement bottles2
  • Exclusive auto-stop ink bottles — uniquely keyed for easy filling of each color
  • Unbeatable convenience — with ultra high-capacity ink bottles, go longer between replacements
  • Genuine Epson® Ink — reliable performance, great quality and brilliant results for everyday printing
They are a little more expensive to begin with, but last forever, with great customer support. My current one I got for $99, wide format, takes extra capacity cartridges that last for ever, and does everything. Even faxes.

My next one will be a super tank, like above, with refillable bottles of ink.

I’ve tried hp, brother, dell, and canon and none can compete.

Forum List

Back