Hoyer's new groove: 'Make It In America'

Wonky Pundit

USMB's Silent Snowden
Apr 30, 2011
Quisitive
I just hope he can put some action behind his words this time.

"U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-St. Mary's, told the crowd at the annual Anne Arundel Jefferson-Jackson Dinner that Democrats should embrace a new theme of "Make it in America."

The motto doesn't just mean individual success -it means making goods in America to create jobs and boost the economy, Hoyer said."

Source

Yeah , I just wish some of the 1%ers would help.

They seem bound and determined to not help the American people by creating jobs.

They seem bound and determined to not help the American people by creating jobs.

It's all about incentive. If they're forced to pay import tariffs on whatever they pay workers in India and China to do, they'll start bringing jobs back to the states.

Good luck trying to "Make It in America" under Democrat rule with liberal policies.

An all Democrat Congress and President have brought us the worst economy since the Great Depression.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHSnXFEzE4E&feature=related]YouTube - Ross Perot Giant Sucking Sound[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtR-h8oKqU]YouTube - Ron Paul on Free Trade - Lou Dobbs/CNN[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vukS3koM9ec]YouTube - Cynthia McKinney on Trade[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMOLbD_Fd9A]YouTube - Dennis Kucinich on NAFTA[/ame]

"U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-St. Mary's, told the crowd at the annual Anne Arundel Jefferson-Jackson Dinner that Democrats should embrace a new theme of "Make it in America."

The motto doesn't just mean individual success -it means making goods in America to create jobs and boost the economy, Hoyer said."

Source

As long as there are unions making extreme pay and benefit demands, the jobs will continue to flow overseas. Simple as that.

Source

I love the idea but question how he thinks its going to go down there are many reasons why those business left this nation and are continuing to leave.

The question is you talk of incentives well many of those incentives are not going to be an incentive unless there is a way of lowering the cost of doing business in this nation everything from Taxes to asinine regulatory practices.

Just how much of a roll back do you think the left will allow.

We will be able to compete with third world countries when we become one ourselves.

It's all about incentive. If they're forced to pay import tariffs on whatever they pay workers in India and China to do, they'll start bringing jobs back to the states.

Those will have to be some hefty import tariffs to make up the difference between the average Chinese workers pay and that of Americans.

Those will have to be some hefty import tariffs to make up the difference between the average Chinese workers pay and that of Americans.

Why shouldn't foreign countries pay to allow them to sell in a market that we have created?

As long as there are unions making extreme pay and benefit demands, the jobs will continue to flow overseas. Simple as that.

Not really. Our new trade agreements have "surprised" a lot of people.

"Economists have been projecting that trade agreements between the United States and developing countries would generate an improving trade balance and support job creation in the United States for many years. These projections have usually been wrong. For example, Hufbauer and Schott (1993) projected U.S. exports to Mexico would rise more rapidly than imports following implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). In fact, the United States, which had a $1.7 billion trade surplus with Mexico in 1993, experienced a rapidly growing trade deficit that reached $74.8 billion in 2007, before declining to a $64.7 deficit in recession-influenced trade in 2008. Numerous
other economists also predicted that NAFTA would generate rising trade surpluses that would support domestic job creation. Growing trade deficits with Mexico between 1993 and 2004 alone eliminated or displaced a net total of 560,000 U.S. jobs (Scott 2006)."

Source

Of course, unions can be run by crooks, but then again, so can corporations.

Why shouldn't foreign countries pay to allow them to sell in a market that we have created?

Completely agree.

It's not a perfect solution (by a longshot), but it would definitely be less painful than what's happening now.

I'm sure you have a point that you'd like to associate with that article. Care to share it with us?

I believe the author is saying that a tariff increases the cost of a product to many while protecting the jobs of a few. And, that the cost is higher than the benefit.

I find some fallacies with this line of thought. What about the cost to our economy of those losing their jobs. Those costs are many and nebulous, however, they must be factored in.

That "higher cost" of the items with the tariffs remains in the economy and circulates through the economy continuously. It remains part of our overall economic activity.

Without the tariffs that money merely leaves the country.

Study after study has shown that tariffs, whether they be one tariff or hundreds, are bad for the economy

I got a STUDY for ya..

Take a hard STUDY at the REALITY of our growing trade inbalance.

Compare that growing imbalance to the nationswe are trading with and the FREE TRADE policies that we forged with them to make that happen.

Get back to me when you actually KNOW something about this subject.

Telling me things that are not provable in REALITY doesn't much impress me.

Source

Yeah, that's it! Bring all those jobs back here to America, the place where 6 pages of ObamaCare translate into 429 pages of rules and regulations.

Forum List

Back