How's this for wrong priorities?

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
A MAN who put a seat-belt over his slab of beer - but not the five-year-old boy next to it - has shocked police near Alice Springs.
Constable Wayne Burnett said he was ``shocked and appalled'' when he pulled over the Holden Commodore on the Ross Highway south of the desert town on the weekend.

``I haven't ever seen something like this before,'' hesaid.

``Sure we get beer out of vehicles that is being taken into restricted areas but this is the first time that the beer has taken priority over a child.''

He said the driver of the car ``just looked at me blankly'' when he was handed a $750 fine for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle, and failing to ensure a child is wearing a seatbelt.

``He didn't get it,'' Const Burnett said.

More at the link but that's basically the story. I think I would have punched him.

http://tinyurl.com/6yrjf4

I hadn't thought of that :D I'm not much of a lateral thinker.

I even heard this story on the BBC World Service radio last night - I suppose they'll put it in the "Only in Australia" file.....:redface:

heh... was just playing. I figure if he really had that much beer, he'd have been hit with drunk driving charges. lol...

guy was just an ijit...

heh... was just playing. I figure if he really had that much beer, he'd have been hit with drunk driving charges. lol...

guy was just an ijit...

I'm just hoping that up there in the Northern Territory (the Deep North) a lot of blokes aren't reading this story and saying,"yeah....so.....?" :rofl:

I'm just hoping that up there in the Northern Territory (the Deep North) a lot of blokes aren't reading this story and saying,"yeah....so.....?" :rofl:

Hey Di,

I meant to tell you, they did a joke about this on SNL's weekend update. After reporting the story, they gave the punchline: Earning him the title of most Australianist man ever! :rofl:

What "enquiring minds" REALLY want to know is what kind of beer was it? I consider THAT an all-important factor in his decision ....:eusa_think:

Hey Di,

I meant to tell you, they did a joke about this on SNL's weekend update. After reporting the story, they gave the punchline: Earning him the title of most Australianist man ever! :rofl:

I missed that mani - jeez, he really supports the stereotype doesn't he????

Excuse me, I just spilled beer on my keyboard, need to wipe it up, it's okay it's leftovers from breakfast :redface:

What "enquiring minds" REALLY want to know is what kind of beer was it? I consider THAT an all-important factor in his decision ....:eusa_think:

A quality thought indeed! I agree, I mean if it was the muck our local big brewing company makes then he had no right to endanger the kid. But up there in the Territory, it was likely VB....in which case he had absolutely NO right to endanger the kid.

Carton of Sam Adams...well....:cool:

Just kidding!!!

What I really want to know...do you people down under really drink warm beer? Or was that just some propaganda from an old mystery novel I read...

Forum List

Back