How's the forum?

That your first post critiquing moderation is quite suspect. A quick glance? You just joined today and this is your first post! What do I have to say?

That Satan is always in a hurry. So are his workers. (it's a dead give away)

I just want to know what to expect before I decide whether to stay or not.

Welcome to USMB. Make sure you have all of your immunization shots before venturing "out there".

:D

Hi. I'm Jesse. I've noticed that a lot of politics forums have a problem with moderation. It's either too lax, or even nonexistent, and you can't have a reasonable debate because there's no order, or it's too heavy-handed, and you can't have a resonable debate because moderators will use their power to suppress opposing viewpoints.

This site seems pretty good from a quick glance, but what do you guys have to say about it?

I think I know what place Jesse is from. It's weird over there. And I mean WEIRD. If ya fart sideways...ya can get banned or a warning. I used to pop in now and then but stopped going. I like it here much better. Always have. Always will. But I do bitch now and then. :lol:

Has NOBODY offered the guy a cookie or anything?

cookie.jpg

I think I know what place Jesse is from. It's weird over there. And I mean WEIRD. If ya fart sideways...ya can get banned or a warning. I used to pop in now and then but stopped going. I like it here much better. Always have. Always will. But I do bitch now and then. :lol:

If you are farting sideways, you likely need to go to a hospital. Immediately.

All the cool people that played fast and loose with the rules got banned. lol

I thought your user name seemed familiar. :D

lol. I wasn't referring to you. I doubt you whine or report ppl. Where ever you stand on any particular issue, you are generally a free thinker. Your ego isn't vested in being right all the time. Not so much that you need to report folks having fun and get nasty about rules violations. That's what killed the fun in this place.

Mostly the site has degraded since 2012 because of the hyper sensitive PC police and sticklers for the rules that constantly tattle on their fellow forum mates. Remember when we were kids and there was this code that you don't snitch and you had fun? Well, this place isn't as fun as it used to be because those types of folks killed the fun.

When I incur a code violation, I disappear for a few months till it drops from my record. That's how I manage to hang on. I don't NEED this place like the addicts do, but I like to watch it wither and change with the character of the nation.

In other words, you're not that important, here......:D

Nah, It just means that I'm not so addicted that I NEED to be here after I have incurred a violation. I know how to keep my mouth shut, disappear, and take a break when I am skating on thin ice.

You are fooling yourself if you think ANYONE is "important" here. Nobody is important. If you left, if I left, we would all be forgotten in a few months except by the few people who we affected and communicated with. So it is with life. Your life only has meaning to you. You may leave a mark, either with your accomplishments for the next generation, or the next, but in the long run, you aren't important.

Don't let your ego be the mark of who you are. If you live in that world, you are thinking on a material plane. Like, the feeling of "importance," or "success," it is the measure of how you define the worth of your life. If it is, you will never find happiness, not true happiness. Fear of the shadow of death will always inform and influence all of your points of view and opinions. Truth will not be the final arbitrator of your opinions, only the desire to "be remembered," or "be successful," or "to feel important." These should never be the source from which we post our ideas.

And in truth, that is a futile and selfish pursuit. From this path, only the short sighted and immature try to achieve such fleeting accolades and notoriety.

The noble try to bring justice and truth to all humankind even if the positions they take are not popular or well liked.

lol. I wasn't referring to you. I doubt you whine or report ppl. Where ever you stand on any particular issue, you are generally a free thinker. Your ego isn't vested in being right all the time. Not so much that you need to report folks having fun and get nasty about rules violations. That's what killed the fun in this place.

Mostly the site has degraded since 2012 because of the hyper sensitive PC police and sticklers for the rules that constantly tattle on their fellow forum mates. Remember when we were kids and there was this code that you don't snitch and you had fun? Well, this place isn't as fun as it used to be because those types of folks killed the fun.

When I incur a code violation, I disappear for a few months till it drops from my record. That's how I manage to hang on. I don't NEED this place like the addicts do, but I like to watch it wither and change with the character of the nation.

Nah, It just means that I'm not so addicted that I NEED to be here after I have incurred a violation. I know how to keep my mouth shut, disappear, and take a break when I am skating on thin ice.

You are fooling yourself if you think ANYONE is "important" here. Nobody is important. If you left, if I left, we would all be forgotten in a few months except by the few people who we affected and communicated with. So it is with life. Your life only has meaning to you. You may leave a mark, either with your accomplishments for the next generation, or the next, but in the long run, you aren't important.

Don't let your ego be the mark of who you are. If you live in that world, you are thinking on a material plane. Like, the feeling of "importance," or "success," it is the measure of how you define the worth of your life. If it is, you will never find happiness, not true happiness. Fear of the shadow of death will always inform and influence all of your points of view and opinions. Truth will not be the final arbitrator of your opinions, only the desire to "be remembered," or "be successful," or "to feel important." These should never be the source from which we post our ideas.

And in truth, that is a futile and selfish pursuit. From this path, only the short sighted and immature try to achieve such fleeting accolades and notoriety.

The noble try to bring justice and truth to all humankind even if the positions they take are not popular or well liked.

Nah, I know nobody really counts for much in a political forum.........but for you to give such a detailed account of why you left for a while must mean you think you do. If the site has degraded since 2012 it may just be that the ones you liked what they posted either got bored and left or got ushered out.......and those that got ushered out probably did because they don't know how to follow the rules. The rules are for everyone.....and some don't like it when they are applied to them because they think they are "special" and need "special" treatment and allowances........

And, I don't need a lecture on "importance" or "success" - I'm very comfortable with who I am and what I have accomplished.....and my kids think I'm important, and that is important to me......I just come here to have fun...if you think you are changing anyone's mind, you may think too highly of yourself.

Nah, I know nobody really counts for much in a political forum.........but for you to give such a detailed account of why you left for a while must mean you think you do. If the site has degraded since 2012 it may just be that the ones you liked what they posted either got bored and left or got ushered out.......and those that got ushered out probably did because they don't know how to follow the rules. The rules are for everyone.....and some don't like it when they are applied to them because they think they are "special" and need "special" treatment and allowances........

And, I don't need a lecture on "importance" or "success" - I'm very comfortable with who I am and what I have accomplished.....and my kids think I'm important, and that is important to me......I just come here to have fun...if you think you are changing anyone's mind, you may think too highly of yourself.

Not really. Obviously you need to be lectured. You are the one that is judging whether folks think you are important or not. Now I have hit a nerve and revealed your insecurity.

How quaint.

It isn't only my opinion. I have seen that many many others have shared this sentiment. And I am sure that you too, secretly have seen some of your friends either get banned or depart. You have been here long enough to see the same happen to them. You're honestly saying you don't miss certain posters? Really?

This hyper-partisan tattling/narking enforcement of the rules has taken the fun out of the place, that is all I am saying. I hold no loyalties with partisans of either political leaning, I've made friends and learned to respect all political persuasions. I think posters from all political points of view are intelligent and witty. I don't think any of them necessarily have needed to part ways forever. And there are folks on the other side that have been served up to the same treatment. I don't think anyone believes that the rules don't apply to them.

I just believe that the "rules" have been made more strict and more strictly enforced over the past few years. I believe that the partisans, when they can't win the war of ideas, use the rules to play a game of, "GOTCHA," to try to rid the forum of enemies. It takes the fun out of the forum. I believe that is, after all, why folks come to places like this, for enjoyment.

Okay. I've been here a few days, and I've noticed that clowns are surprisingly popular picks for avatars. No other observations so far.

Hi. I'm Jesse. I've noticed that a lot of politics forums have a problem with moderation. It's either too lax, or even nonexistent, and you can't have a reasonable debate because there's no order, or it's too heavy-handed, and you can't have a resonable debate because moderators will use their power to suppress opposing viewpoints.

This site seems pretty good from a quick glance, but what do you guys have to say about it?
Depends on where you fall on the political spectrum. Spew hate, there are no rules to conform to.

Read the rules and be sure you understand them.

There a few real nasties lurking here who will try to sucker you into breaching them and then "run tell the teacher" in hopes of removing you.

Don't let 'em suck you in.

Another observation: I have never seen an introduction thread this long.

Forum List

Back