Howard Dean- scrap the senate health care bill and start over.

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
I have been saying that all along, for once Howard and conservatives agree.

Howard Dean: Scrap the Senate Health Bill - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

(CBS)The Senate health care bill in its current form should be scrapped, former Democratic leader Howard Dean said in a radio interview.

"This is essentially the collapse of health care reform in the United States Senate," Dean told Vermont Public Radio. "Honestly the best thing to do right now is kill the Senate bill, go back to the House, start the reconciliation process, where you only need 51 votes and it would be a much simpler bill."

Dean's remarks are set to air today at 5:50 p.m., Greg Sargent confirms, just hours after President Obama said that the Senate is "on the precipice" of passing its health care bill. The president said there is "too much at stake" to let the reform effort fail.

Last edited:

(CBS)The Senate health care bill in its current form should be scrapped, former Democratic leader Howard Dean said in a radio interview.

"This is essentially the collapse of health care reform in the United States Senate," Dean told Vermont Public Radio. "Honestly the best thing to do right now is kill the Senate bill, go back to the House, start the reconciliation process, where you only need 51 votes and it would be a much simpler bill."

Dean's remarks are set to air today at 5:50 p.m., Greg Sargent confirms, just hours after President Obama said that the Senate is "on the precipice" of passing its health care bill. The president said there is "too much at stake" to let the reform effort fail.

The meltdown of the extreme left is on it's way, no public option, no early buy in the medicare system. Just higher taxes for EVERYONE. The senate may pass something but nothing even close to what they have been talking about. Obama's approval rating at 44-46% the dems are sneaking out the back door on him. Congress is going to give him fits with this new version of health care. They have alot of far left congressional people in the congress who will vote this monstrosity down and won't support it.

I knew this was going to happen when Obama was elected, the republicans can do nothing to stop anything, yet in order to balance anything you have to deal with the moderates and liberals in the same party. The democrats are imploding.

Last edited:
The only thing they agree on is scraping it and starting over; Dean wants to put the public option back in and use the reconcillation process to get it through.

From the article:

Mr. Obama, by contrast, said today that the bill still meets certain goals like controlling health care costs and expanding coverage. Dean said last week on the "Early Show" that "there's not much cost control in this bill."

Whose lying? (Three guesses and the first two don't count)

CMS findings on the cost of this bill. . . . . but let's "get 'er done" so we can give Barry a "win" and he can check off one more thing on his to do list. Who gives a shit what kind of monstrosity it is.

Under the bill, total health spending in the U.S. would reach $35.5 trillion over 10 years, 0.7% more than projected under current law (Pear/Herszenhorn, New York Times, 12/11). The CMS report also projected that total health expenditures would increase by $234 billion between 2010 and 2019 under the bill (Norman, CQ HealthBeat, 12/11).

However, the report found that the "additional demand for health services could be difficult to meet initially with existing health provider resources and could lead to price increases, cost shifting and/or changes in providers' willingness to treat patients with low-reimbursement health coverage."

The report also had bad news for consumers, noting that additional taxes levied on the pharmaceutical, medical device and insurance industries likely would be passed on in the form of higher product prices at a cost of $11 billion annually (CongressDaily, 12/11).

The report said that proposed Medicare cuts in the bill would threaten the profitability of 20% of U.S. hospitals and nursing homes.

CMS Analysis Says Senate Health Care Reform Bill Won't Cut Costs - California Healthline

Dean, of course, is right, but the bill will not be scrapped. Here's why:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...s-push-health-care-even-if-it-kills-them.html

The only thing they agree on is scraping it and starting over; Dean wants to put the public option back in and use the reconcillation process to get it through.

From the article:

Mr. Obama, by contrast, said today that the bill still meets certain goals like controlling health care costs and expanding coverage. Dean said last week on the "Early Show" that "there's not much cost control in this bill."

Whose lying? (Three guesses and the first two don't count)

CMS findings on the cost of this bill. . . . . but let's "get 'er done" so we can give Barry a "win" and he can check off one more thing on his to do list. Who gives a shit what kind of monstrosity it is.

Under the bill, total health spending in the U.S. would reach $35.5 trillion over 10 years, 0.7% more than projected under current law (Pear/Herszenhorn, New York Times, 12/11). The CMS report also projected that total health expenditures would increase by $234 billion between 2010 and 2019 under the bill (Norman, CQ HealthBeat, 12/11).

However, the report found that the "additional demand for health services could be difficult to meet initially with existing health provider resources and could lead to price increases, cost shifting and/or changes in providers' willingness to treat patients with low-reimbursement health coverage."

The report also had bad news for consumers, noting that additional taxes levied on the pharmaceutical, medical device and insurance industries likely would be passed on in the form of higher product prices at a cost of $11 billion annually (CongressDaily, 12/11).

The report said that proposed Medicare cuts in the bill would threaten the profitability of 20% of U.S. hospitals and nursing homes.

CMS Analysis Says Senate Health Care Reform Bill Won't Cut Costs - California Healthline

I know. I thought the whole premise of doing this health care reform was :

1. To reduce the costs of health care insurance.

2. Increase coverage- so that all people would be covered and have health insurance.

This bill does neither. I heard one on Fox this morning state that small business, business's with less than 50 employees would be exempt from this bill. When you consider that 76% of Americans work for small business, and business's with less than 50 employee's who is this bill going to help?? Think of all the doctors, dentists, car repair shops, etc that employ less than 50 people. There are millions of them.

One business owner said that he would make sure that he stays under 50 employee's in order to not pay for health insurance and also stated that in this bill if the employee is considered part time, they do not have to participate. It's insane. If this is the case it would create more unemployment or under-employment for part-time work.

Disclaimer: This is just what I heard on Fox this morning, no one knows for sure what is in this bill as it has been written in smoke filled back rooms by a few senators. Even Seantor Durbin told John McCain he did not know what's in it.

But: if this is the way it is written, which would not surprise me at all, then it's a moronic bill written by a bunch of economic morons.

Per your post, this bill does absolutely nothing to control costs and instead increases them. Absurd!!!!!

Last edited:
100% Pure Politics...

The only reason they're trying to rahm it through...

I am all for reform of health care insurance . Tort reform is not even mentioned in these bills, Health savings plans, opening up competition between states, passing legislaltion on portability, pre-existing conditions, etc. All of this could be easily done, if our politicians just put us first instead of their political careers. In fact, I would vote and support this legislation as I think most Americans would, it's just common sense stuff and won't bankrupt the nation.

61% of Americans now oppose Obama's health care reform. That should tell you something. Now the extreme left will oppose it, so those numbers are even going to go higher.

100% Pure Politics...

I am all for reform of health care insurance . Tort reform is not even mentioned in these bills, Health savings plans, opening up competition between states, passing legislaltion on portability, pre-existing conditions, etc. All of this could be easily done, if our politicians just put us first instead of their political careers. In fact, I would vote and support this legislation as I think most Americans would, it's just common sense stuff and won't bankrupt the nation.

61% of Americans now oppose Obama's health care reform. That should tell you something. Now the extreme left will oppose it, so those numbers are even going to go higher.

Asking politicians to stop playing politics is a futile exercise...

We're going to get screwed big time... It's just a matter of when...

I never thought I would live to see the righties siding with Dean.

:beer: this is just great. Thanks for the present guys.

100% Pure Politics...

Asking politicians to stop playing politics is a futile exercise...

We're going to get screwed big time... It's just a matter of when...

Couldn't agree more. The Clowns in DC will haggle, fudge and try to put something, anything together just so they can vote on and pass something, anything. You musn't forget that this is HISTORIC.They do not care what it costs. They do not care that the people do not want this. They know best doncha know. Of course they are exempted from the peice of bs so they don't care at all.

Of course they may get their asses handed to them in 2010 I hope. Time will tell on that one.

Forum List

Back