@#$% Howard Dean and the jackass he rode in on!!!!

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=CT Republicans Blacks

Mehlman Defends GOP Appeal for Black Votes
Gadsden Times ^ | Oct 12, 2005 | SUSAN HAIGH

The national Republican Party chairman on Tuesday defended the GOP's outreach to black voters, days after his Democratic counterpart questioned how he could make such an appeal in view of the Bush administration's tepid response to Hurricane Katrina.

Ken Mehlman told the Waterbury chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that the "party of Lincoln and the African-American people have an incredible history together."

He dismissed criticism from Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, who questioned how Mehlman could appear before the group after the administration's much-criticized response to the hurricane's devastation.

Hard hit were predominantly poor and black neighborhoods in New Orleans, and thousands of blacks were left stranded at the city's convention center and Superdome for days without basic necessities.

"I'm shocked that he would have the nerve to show his face in front of any African-American organization after the way they treated those people in New Orleans," Dean said Sunday during a Democratic rally and fund-raiser in New Haven.
Mehlman answered back in his speech.

"Chairman Dean said it took nerve for me to join you today. The only person with nerve is Howard Dean, who continues to take the African-American vote for granted, who believes he can dictate who you should and should not meet with," said the Republican National Committee chairman. Good come back.......

The Waterbury NAACP invited Mehlman to speak to the group. The chapter's president, James Griffin, an unaffiliated voter, acknowledged he was worried about whether any members would show up for the event. But about 100 people attended.

"This is a hard sell. This is not an easy sell," Griffin said. "I can't blame them to a certain degree, but we've got to stop being so tied to one party."

According to the RNC, Republicans garnered 9 percent of the black vote in the 2000 elections and 11 percent in the 2004 elections.

Mehlman urged the audience to give the Republican Party a chance, especially if they are dissatisfied with the quality of their children's education, housing or retirement options. He touted President Bush's minority hiring record, the president's support of a plan to triple the money sent to Africa to treat AIDS and Bush's support of faith-based organizations.

"If you give us a chance, we'll give you a choice," he said, adding how good public policy is what is needed to persuade black voters to consider the GOP.

Unlike Bush, Mehlman has addressed the NAACP's national convention. He has spoken with other traditionally black groups as well, urging them to become involved with the Republican Party.

DeNorris Crosby, 71, a retired school principal from Monroe, said issues such as Bush's response to Katrina, the war in Iraq and costs associated with the federal No Child Left Behind Act resonate with him and other black voters.

"It's going to take quite an effort to overcome the mistrust most black people have in Bush," said Crosby, a Republican.

Hurricane Katrina highlighted the need to provide America's poor with a greater opportunity to be independent and successful in their lives, Mehlman said.

"I think any time there's a natural disaster, the people who have the least get hurt the most," he said before his speech. "The message that I'm delivering is a message of hope and opportunity."

That caught the attention of Dawn Poindexter, 43, a Democrat from Hamden.

"I like their views, but I'm really used to familiarity," she said, explaining how she has always voted Democratic but is willing to consider a Republican candidate. "I like the real basis of his message, the unification piece, coming together for a common interest.

But Barbara Petty, 58, a Democrat from Waterbury, said she has no plans to vote Republican.

"I don't think there's anything Republicans can say that will interest me, that would sway my vote," said the telephone operator. "They talk out of both sides of their mouths."

Howy has some nerve, or more like he's one big jackoff.... That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.... :laugh:

Forum List

Back