How would you like your Son? Broiled?

_dmp_

Oct 16, 2003
SICK!

Texas woman finds son, 6, dead in oven

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEAUMONT, Texas -- The body of a 6-year-old boy was found in an oven at his home Friday, and his mother's boyfriend was charged with capital murder.

The suspect, Kenneth Pierott, 27, previously had been found not guilty by reason of insanity in the 1996 slaying of his handicapped sister.

Pierott was arraigned and jailed Friday night in the death of Tre-Deven Odoms.

The child's mother, Kathy Jo Odoms, found her son's body in the oven Friday morning, Justice of the Peace Paul Brown said. The burners on the stovetop were turned on, the oven was not, he said.

The boy had no visible injuries, Brown said. Autopsy results were expected Monday.

Odoms told police she woke up Friday morning because she was hot and smelled gas, The Beaumont Enterprise reported in its online edition Friday. She found the burners were on and turned them off. She discovered the boy's body after Pierott left the house.

Pierott spent six months in state mental hospitals beginning in 1998, after he was found not guilty by reason of insanity in the December 1996 beating death of his 25-year-old sister, who had cerebral palsy.

Court documents obtained by the Enterprise show Pierott hit his sister in the head with a metal dumbbell. He was later diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

All the reasons we incarcerate criminals or send them to mental institutions are well and good. Deterrence, rehabilitation, and treatment are wonderful things. But let's never lose sight of the main reason we send them away: To protect ourselves!

How did this asshole ever get out?

Originally posted by musicman
All the reasons we incarcerate criminals or send them to mental institutions are well and good. Deterrence, rehabilitation, and treatment are wonderful things. But let's never lose sight of the main reason we send them away: To protect ourselves!

How did this asshole ever get out?

Ever so disturbing when these folks slip through the cracks. Wow, Texas missed a chance to execute someone! That's the most surprising part of this story.

My gosh, that is really a quite disturbing and disheartening story.

Originally posted by acludem
This guy didn't need to executed, he needed to be committed to a mental health facility.

acludem

Huh? Did you even read the article? He was in a mental facility already! They let him out, now look at the results. He should have been killed immediately - no trial.

Originally posted by acludem
This guy didn't need to executed, he needed to be committed to a mental health facility.

acludem
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jimnyc
Huh? Did you even read the article? He was in a mental facility already! They let him out, now look at the results. He should have been killed immediately - no trial.

He should have never been let out if he was a paranoid pschyzophrenic. I really don't think you can execute someone mentally ill, if at all. He probably was treated and went off his meds or something, for instance. IF that WERE the case, he really should have never been released.

I dunno. People do some pretty horrible things, but my father is a psychiatrist so I suppose I'm a bit biased. I Imagine he wouldn't want to see a mentally-ill patient executed.

I see a huge difference between a terrorist kidnapping and murdering an innocent and trying to us religion as justification...

than.. a paranoid pschyzophrenic that THINKS he hears MARSHMELLOWS telling him to put his girlfriends' son in the oven.

Bin Laden(and those like him) deserve eternal damnation and a fiery death if/when it comes to that but this guy may just need to be a PERMANENT INPATIENT?

Someone certainly dropped the ball on this one... I used to work in a mental health clinic and seen many different mental health diseases... its quite obvious when someone is a paranoid schizophrenic. There's no hiding that illness.

(It makes me wonder about the mother... to bring someone like that in her home and let them around her child(ren)

I really wonder about your sometimes. Committed to a mental health facility my ass... He SHOULD HAVE been executed when he took a metal dumbell and beat his handicapped sister to death. I'm sure the 6 year old stuffed in the oven would have agreed with me as well.

Originally posted by nycflasher
He should have never been let out if he was a paranoid pschyzophrenic.

My brother is Para/schitzo...(shrug) should be be institutionalized? He's nuts - not dangerous.

Mental illness should not be a viable avenue for avoiding capital punishment. I don't care to pay for this person's medical needs for the rest of their life. This individual should be executed regardless of their mental health. As is now painfully obvious to Ms. Odoms, this person should have been executed 7 years ago.

Originally posted by dmp
My brother is Para/schitzo...(shrug) should be be institutionalized? He's nuts - not dangerous.

I'm sorry to hear that, DMP. So was my mom-God rest her sweet soul. I believe that modern conventional wisdom has it that a person predisposed to Para/schitzo begins displaying symptoms during his teens-usually after some psychological trauma. Whether that person is prone to violence is generally knowable by the time he reaches young adulthood. This seems to have been the case with the man in your post.

A Para/schitzo who has displayed a tendency for violence should be-if not institutionalized-very closely supervised, don't you think?

Forum List

Back