How would you handle this dilemma regarding a daughter's confiscated cell phone?

So, first thing Monday morning the phone is in a FedEx bag so he could have it Tuesday.

Cell phone is how this generation stays in touch, they call they text. Not having one is like dropping off the grid.

and the cell phone companies love this attitude.....you must have one...you simply must...

Yes, exactly 'Bones, and I'm fucking sick of it: I'm still waiting for a MAJOR report from any media source that says that since The Recession, Americans have chosen the option of cutting cell phone use to save money.

Seems like this would be the first frivoluos expense to go, right?

HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL NO!

We gave up our land line in favor of cell phones.

What I wonder at are all the folk out there with expensive cellphones that they use all day long to go online. I see people who are definitely less prosperous than me. And, there are plenty of high school kids with them. Not only are the phones pricey, but the monthly charge is expensive.

We have pretty basic phones in our household, even though my income is very good.

We gave up our land line in favor of cell phones. .

This is a battle about which I've conceeded a truce in my War With Delilah, AKA, "Marriage."

I think it is beyound ridiculous to have BOTH cell and land-line, however, my business insists I have a fax. As long as they pay for it, I won't fight her.

Then she insisted on a security system which requires a land line:evil:

Turning off BOTH would allow me to put an extra $1,000/yr toward retirement.

So when she's 80 yo and freezing her ass off eating kibbles and bits, I hope she receives the note I'll have my attourney send: "Hope you're happy we spent $1,000/year between 2006 and 2036 so we could have a security system that WAS NEVER USED!!!"

Hick is an idiot. Research told us at one time that the world was flat. Research is wrong all the time.
Research at no time suggested the world was flat. IGNORING research for unsupported religious belief was the reason people believed that. They got it wrong because people like you made things up and were gullible enough to pass on the fiction. Besides, do you REALLY want to compare modern research standards to centuries ago? That's pretty desperate.

AllieBaba said:
Add to that the fact that quite often, the research itself is faulty; results are tampered with, populations are hand picked, and often things are just made up. The "psychological" community is still reeling from the fact that Freud was, in fact, primarily a fraud. They're still clinging to his work because it opened up the field; but everybody recognizes his research was pure, unadulterated, unethical crap. He lied. He might have been right in the end about some things....but it wasn't proven by his research because his research was dishonest.
So you're saying we should only believe verifiable research that is honest and scrutinized by rivaling experts? Good thing that's exactly the evidence I provided. Repeated and verified in countries around the world. Or are you proposing some worldwide conspiracy that researchers everywhere are making up data to support completely false claims just so I can prove you to be incompetent? That wouldn't really be needed, seeing as you're doing a good job of that on your own without me. So tell me what the reason behind your conspiracy theory?

About phone confiscation. I'm against it solely for safety reasons with the kids. I'm pro communication rather than spying. Even if they don't give you any indication of what they talk about, who they're talking to, you should give them info about staying safe and happy.

My daughter's friends all have phones, which helped. I was really missing being about to keep in close touch, so I added her best friend to my contact list.

One of the issues we had regarding the phone was that she wasn't communicating adequately with her phone. One of the new rules is that, if she wants to ask permission or discuss anything important, that she call me, not text. She's been really following that guideline.

I'm glad we went through this because it really improved our communication.

My daughter got straight A's on her report card, and is really doing well!
So you're saying open communication and limit setting is a good thing? That appears to be exactly what those research articles I sent you stated. Funny that.

About phone confiscation. I'm against it solely for safety reasons with the kids. I'm pro communication rather than spying. Even if they don't give you any indication of what they talk about, who they're talking to, you should give them info about staying safe and happy.

My daughter's friends all have phones, which helped. I was really missing being about to keep in close touch, so I added her best friend to my contact list.

One of the issues we had regarding the phone was that she wasn't communicating adequately with her phone. One of the new rules is that, if she wants to ask permission or discuss anything important, that she call me, not text. She's been really following that guideline.

I'm glad we went through this because it really improved our communication.

My daughter got straight A's on her report card, and is really doing well!

How wonderful. She sounds like a good kid.

You pay for the phone? you can request detailed billing from most cell providers.
But personally I tend to trust someone until I am shown that is a bad idea by their actions.

Trust is someting that once lost is VERY hard to regain, both from you and her.

Last edited:
:cuckoo:Research didn't tell us the world was flat. Personal anecdote did.

Research told us the world was not flat.

The scientists at the time based their belief on their research, ravidiot.

Honestly, please search a few facts before you make an ass out of yourself. Just once in a while.

"Organization founded in 1800. Members were individuals whose outlook was zetetic, or characterized by a seeking for truth and the denial of "imaginary" theories. They relied only on provable knowledge and consequently believed that the "spinning ball" theory regarding Earth was absurd and that, in reality, the Earth was flat and infinite in size. Members maintained that Australia was not under the world; Australians did not hang by their feet, nor did ships sail over the edge of the world to get there. They also asserted that continental drift was really the result of the earth and water being "shaken asunder by God."

The society gathered information, disseminated the results of its findings, and sought to "push forth the frontiers of knowledge in geophysical matters."

The society conducted research programs, confered a Seeker for Truth Award, and published the Flat Earth News. Last known address: Box 2533, Lancaster, CA 93539."

http://www.answers.com/topic/flat-earth-research-society-international

Last edited:
:cuckoo:Research didn't tell us the world was flat. Personal anecdote did.

Research told us the world was not flat.

The scientists at the time based their belief on their research, ravidiot.

Honestly, please search a few facts before you make an ass out of yourself. Just once in a while.

"Organization founded in 1800. Members were individuals whose outlook was zetetic, or characterized by a seeking for truth and the denial of "imaginary" theories. They relied only on provable knowledge and consequently believed that the "spinning ball" theory regarding Earth was absurd and that, in reality, the Earth was flat and infinite in size. Members maintained that Australia was not under the world; Australians did not hang by their feet, nor did ships sail over the edge of the world to get there. They also asserted that continental drift was really the result of the earth and water being "shaken asunder by God."

The society gathered information, disseminated the results of its findings, and sought to "push forth the frontiers of knowledge in geophysical matters."

The society conducted research programs, confered a Seeker for Truth Award, and published the Flat Earth News. Last known address: Box 2533, Lancaster, CA 93539."

Flat Earth Research Society International: Information from Answers.com
Magical thinking is not valid research, no matter how you wish it so.

Forum List

Back