How would you feel if a pure science teacher taught science in Parochial school?

depends... do you ever want to be better than number 23 in the world?

i think even parochial schools have to meet minimal state standards.

Yes i know :)

I am poking fun at the other thread.

Even parochial schools will teach science and not just creationism.

Some do, some don't. If they only teach watered down "natural science" at Christian Universities, what sense does it make suggesting they teach real knowledge in primary schools? They prefer to not teach. It's all about indoctrination in "mysticism and the occult".

Are you THAT crazy?

No, the point is that parochial schools don't teach the creationist view in their science classes.

Also:

Education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5,072,451 students attended 33,740 private elementary and secondary schools in 2007. 74.5% of these were Caucasian, non-Hispanic, 9.8% were African American , 9.6% were Hispanic. 5.4% were Asian or Pacific Islander, and .6% were American Indian. Average school size was 150.3 students. There were 456,266 teachers. The number of students per teacher was about 11. 65% of seniors in private schools in 2006-7 went on to attend a 4-year college.[44]

Average number of students per teacher was 11. The only public place where you would see such a number is a high leveled college course. And even then it's likely you'll have more.

65% of Seniors went on to attend a 4-year college in 2006-7.

HigherEdInfo.org: College-Going Rates of High School Graduates - Directly from High School

These are the numbers for 2006.

3,108,005 graduates (almost the same number attending private schools all together that year) with 61.6% going directly to college. By 2008, that was up to 63.3% with 3,299,613 graduates.

There is not such a large difference between 65% and 61 or 63% to say that one is a failure while the other is a huge success. Of course, neither of these numbers are taking into account the percentage of students who drop out of either public or private school.

I would say that, by default, the parents playing a larger and more involved part in the childs life by sending them to private school means that the child is going to do well.

Well of course, everyone knows parent involvement is the key to a child's success in school.

But guess what, not everyone can afford a private education for their child. But some seem to think a private school is the only way a child will get a good education.

Tell that to the guy who is fixing your car, or building your house, or fixing your water heater when it breaks, or your plumbing next time your toilet overflows.

Say, "You went to a PUBLIC SCHOOL! Your parents must not have cared about your education then!"

See how overflowed your toilet gets then! ;)

I know. I'm just pointing out that because the child is going to a private school the parent is more involved by default. Thus meaning that it is more likely that the child will do well.

Of course you can have involved parents in a public school setting. And those children are more likely to do well as well.

Involved parents = A
Uninolved parents = B

Private schools have A in a much higher ratio by their very nature. Public schools have an across the board random scattering of A and B. Some schools have higher amounts of B than others, but almost all of them have a higher amount than private schools.

Thats what I'm trying to say.

I give this post an A-

Name a single benefit to society from classes in Bible memorization. Science I can see. Math, reading, literature, art, but "mysticism"? Sorry, don't get it.

And that my friend, IS the "adult perspective".

So private schools are only about bible memorization?

Idiot.

Just 6% of the time.

What rdean doesn't realize is that Jesuit schools and training have a hard core focus on logic and problem solving. Jesuit graduates are some of the best and brightest the world has to offer.

I know. I'm just pointing out that because the child is going to a private school the parent is more involved by default. Thus meaning that it is more likely that the child will do well.

Of course you can have involved parents in a public school setting. And those children are more likely to do well as well.

Involved parents = A
Uninolved parents = B

Private schools have A in a much higher ratio by their very nature. Public schools have an across the board random scattering of A and B. Some schools have higher amounts of B than others, but almost all of them have a higher amount than private schools.

To see if I can add more to the discussion, you can correct me if I'm wrong by the way. Parents who send their kids to private schools likely are more involved in their kids lives because they can afford to be. After all, a parent who works one job (8 hours a day) and can send their kid to a private school is likely to have more opportunities to be involved in their kids lives then those who work two jobs (16 hours a day) to barely put food on the table and keep the house afloat. Of course, you can have vice versa (a parent working one job with their kid in public school and a parent working two jobs with their kid in private school) going on in both schools.

http://www.woai.com/content/news/ne...-living-paycheck-to/SAZVoXrh6EyDHujPgxn3Kg.cs

The recession may be over, but a majority of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck these days, according to a survey by the American Payroll Association here in San Antonio. 72 percent are struggling to get by, up one percent from last year.

CareerBuilder: Three-fourths of Americans live paycheck to paycheck | Kansas City Business Journal

Amid the harshest recession in decades, more than three-fourths of Americans surveyed say they’re getting by paycheck to paycheck.
Twenty-two percent say they sometimes missed payments on bills during the last year, and 23 percent of workers said they started living paycheck to paycheck last year, according to a recent CareerBuilder survey.

I would say that, by default, the parents playing a larger and more involved part in the childs life by sending them to private school means that the child is going to do well.

Well of course, everyone knows parent involvement is the key to a child's success in school.

But guess what, not everyone can afford a private education for their child. But some seem to think a private school is the only way a child will get a good education.

Tell that to the guy who is fixing your car, or building your house, or fixing your water heater when it breaks, or your plumbing next time your toilet overflows.

Say, "You went to a PUBLIC SCHOOL! Your parents must not have cared about your education then!"

If everyone knows it, why aren't those parents who know it, doing it? Half the problem with PS schools isn't a lack of money, it is a lack of parental commitment, overburdened teachers, and cumbersome administration - more focused on ticking 'target' boxes than concentrating on helping each child reach his or her individual potential.

I've never knocked anyone who had a PS education, nor do I consider people who don't have a degree or a Masters or whatever to be less valuable. My parents didn't care whether their kids were plumbers or scientists, they just wanted us to achieve our potential.

Personally, I think you're getting a tad over sensitive about it. I haven't criticized the teachers or the students. Only the system... because it system sucks.
Nah, you said this:

Catholic Schools provide an excellent education - far better than crappy public schools. Wanna know why? Because the teachers TEACH. And parents give a shit about their kids education - hence they send them to a good school

"Crappy Public Schools."............ In a Catholic school "Teachers Teach"......"parents who give a shit sent their kids to a good school"

But of course you didn't "mean it" that way......

"Crappy Public Schools."............ In a Catholic school "Teachers Teach"......"parents who give a shit sent their kids to a good school"

I guess saying parents who give a shit send their kids to a catholic school isn't knocking parents who send their kids to public schools? :confused:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi6wNGwd84g&feature=related[/ame]

Involved parents = A
Uninolved parents = B

I give this post an A-

Can I get extra credit?

Catholic Schools don't teach 'Adam & Eve'. That's a load of fucking shit. Catholic Schools provide an excellent education - far better than crappy public schools. Wanna know why? Because the teachers TEACH. And parents give a shit about their kids education - hence they send them to a good school.

Our schools ain't failing. Yours are. Maybe you should run your better instead of whining about others.

I run a school? Oh cool, I'm making Lewis Black the Dean then.

How about instead of the "Ours vs yours" mentality, you try to look at this situation rationally? I never said catholic schools don't provide an excellent education. Not once, not ever. Unless you can show me otherwise. However, it is pretty sad you have gone to such lengths to demonize public schools and public school teachers, including some on this board who do quite a good job I'm sure. That includes the ones who I don't agree with politically on any level by the way. Plus, you go ahead and demonize any parent who doesn't send their kid to a catholic school. Pretty sad.

Don't wiggle, Mod. You made the crack about 'Adam & Eve' as a put down of Catholic teaching of science. But, unless you have some evidence to back that crap up - which you don't because it ain't true.... you're talking out of your ass.

And I say 'yours' because you're a liberal. Public school system. One of the greatest failures of the liberals.

I don't demonize people who choose another form of education for their kids. But, the biggest problem with public schools is not the students, nor is it the teachers. Kids fail when their parents don't give a shit about their education.

If everyone knows it, why aren't those parents who know it, doing it? Half the problem with PS schools isn't a lack of money, it is a lack of parental commitment, overburdened teachers, and cumbersome administration - more focused on ticking 'target' boxes than concentrating on helping each child reach his or her individual potential.

I've never knocked anyone who had a PS education, nor do I consider people who don't have a degree or a Masters or whatever to be less valuable. My parents didn't care whether their kids were plumbers or scientists, they just wanted us to achieve our potential.

Personally, I think you're getting a tad over sensitive about it. I haven't criticized the teachers or the students. Only the system... because it system sucks.
Nah, you said this:

Catholic Schools provide an excellent education - far better than crappy public schools. Wanna know why? Because the teachers TEACH. And parents give a shit about their kids education - hence they send them to a good school

I also said this.

B]I don't demonize people who choose another form of education for their kids. But, the biggest problem with public schools is not the students, nor is it the teachers. Kids fail when their parents don't give a shit about their education.

I can see why people get hung up about what some politician says. People take what they want to read and ignore the rest.

I also said this.

B]I don't demonize people who choose another form of education for their kids. But, the biggest problem with public schools is not the students, nor is it the teachers. Kids fail when their parents don't give a shit about their education.

I can see why people get hung up about what some politician says. People take what they want to read and ignore the rest.

You say you don't demonize people who choose another form of education for their kids, but you say catholic school teachers teach (as if public school teachers don't) and said parents who give a shit about their kids education send their kid to private school (as if those who don't send their kids to private school don't).

You can say whatever you like, however, one of your first posts where you blindly started to fire off insults wildly for no good reason says otherwise.

Involved parents = A
Uninolved parents = B

To see if I can add more to the discussion, you can correct me if I'm wrong by the way. Parents who send their kids to private schools likely are more involved in their kids lives because they can afford to be. After all, a parent who works one job (8 hours a day) and can send their kid to a private school is likely to have more opportunities to be involved in their kids lives then those who work two jobs (16 hours a day) to barely put food on the table and keep the house afloat. Of course, you can have vice versa (a parent working one job with their kid in public school and a parent working two jobs with their kid in private school) going on in both schools.

http://www.woai.com/content/news/ne...-living-paycheck-to/SAZVoXrh6EyDHujPgxn3Kg.cs

The recession may be over, but a majority of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck these days, according to a survey by the American Payroll Association here in San Antonio. 72 percent are struggling to get by, up one percent from last year.

CareerBuilder: Three-fourths of Americans live paycheck to paycheck | Kansas City Business Journal

Amid the harshest recession in decades, more than three-fourths of Americans surveyed say they’re getting by paycheck to paycheck.
Twenty-two percent say they sometimes missed payments on bills during the last year, and 23 percent of workers said they started living paycheck to paycheck last year, according to a recent CareerBuilder survey.

Actually, all that matters is that the parent cares enough to try and give the child the best they can. Amount of freetime is really irrelevant.

I'm a prime example. I work two jobs. I have very little free time to spend with my kids. Also very little spare room in the budget because of it (why do you think I don't have that xbox?). But I care enough to make sure that my children to private school because they are in a better learning environment with other kids who have parents who are involved. It's an environment thing where I am.

Yes i know :)

I am poking fun at the other thread.

Even parochial schools will teach science and not just creationism.

Some do, some don't. If they only teach watered down "natural science" at Christian Universities, what sense does it make suggesting they teach real knowledge in primary schools? They prefer to not teach. It's all about indoctrination in "mysticism and the occult".

Are you THAT crazy?

No, the point is that parochial schools don't teach the creationist view in their science classes.

parochial school (pərō`kēəl), school supported by a religious body. In the United States such schools are maintained by a number of religious groups, including Lutherans, Seventh-day Adventists, Orthodox Jews, Muslims, and evangelical Protestant churches (and of course Catholics)

parochial school definition of parochial school in the Free Online Encyclopedia.

Yea, I'm crazy. I assumed that some of those groups teach mysticism over evolution.:lol::eusa_whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, all that matters is that the parent cares enough to try and give the child the best they can. Amount of freetime is really irrelevant.

I'm a prime example. I work two jobs. I have very little free time to spend with my kids. Also very little spare room in the budget because of it (why do you think I don't have that xbox?). But I care enough to make sure that my children to private school because they are in a better learning environment with other kids who have parents who are involved. It's an environment thing where I am.

As for getting that Xbox, I know an African prince who can hook you up with one. :cool:

Seriously though Radio, thanks for the insight.

I also said this.

You say you don't demonize people who choose another form of education for their kids, but you say catholic school teachers teach (as if public school teachers don't) and said parents who give a shit about their kids education send their kid to private school (as if those who don't send their kids to private school don't).

You can say whatever you like, however, one of your first posts where you blindly started to fire off insults wildly for no good reason says otherwise.

In Catholic schools, the focus is every much on ensuring each kid LEARNS. It is the focus of the teachers, and the parents. Parents who don't take their kids education seriously tend not to keep them in Catholic schools.... because the schools expect parental involvement. I said nothing about PS teachers. And, in thread after thread on educational subjects, I have expressed my admiration of teachers generally. It's not a profession I would undertake.

You made an assumption about Catholic Schools, and - if I am guilty of misunderstanding what you said... you are equally as guilty of misunderstanding me. I am sick and tired of this bullshit about Catholic schools and 'creationism'. It has no basis in fact.

This is just another one of those 'take half of what someone says and create an issue out of it'. It happens - more for the sake of argument than for a rational discussion. It's why I rarely bother taking anything seriously about what some politician has said... because, I usually find that - once you look at the whole context of the remark.... it is not what it appears to be.

That's critical thinking.

Involved parents = A
Uninolved parents = B

I give this post an A-

Can I get extra credit?

Yeah, I'm going to make you a mod! :D

As for getting that Xbox, I know an African prince who can hook you up with one. :cool:

Seriously though Radio, thanks for the insight.

Send me his email address.

I'm a whore for a tree-sicks-tee.

I give this post an A-

Can I get extra credit?

Yeah, I'm going to make you a mod! :D

What a new mod initiation ceremony looks like:

hands5523.jpg

Forum List

Back