How would you change K-12 Schools in America?

Believe it not, as liberal as I probably seem to many of you, I'd make schools much more strict than they currently are.

There's so many things I'd change about our educational system, starting with how its funded, who runs them, and how they'd be run, that you wouldn't recognize the editecian eduucational system.

For instance?

We'd have one national school system (funded nationally) with one standard set of classes and requirements for graduation.

I have absolutely no confidence in the theory that school ought to be run locally.

And if one looks at the wildly different outcomes that one gets between school districts, one ought to be able to see why I have no confidence in the system we have in place now.

Two nearby school districts whose students are demographically similar can have very different student outcomes.

Why?

Because the management of the schools can be so very very different and much of that stems from very different school board expectations.

This does a great disservice to students, folks.

Sorry Ed. But the fact that schools are under a big umbrella is the problem, not the solution. You have to think of school like any other business. Though instead of business measurements like quality ratings of products and profits you measure the success of a school by things like graduation rates and avg. grades.

You just got done in another thread about how socialized systems bring the whole down, but that's exactly what you want to do for the education of our children?

No, schools need to have the reigns taken OFF and be allowed to do things their own way. To figure out what actually works. The more schools do things differently the more we will be able to see what actually works in terms of producing smart, globally competitive intelligence.

The other reason for "UN-standardization" if you will. Is that all kids don't learn the same way or at the same pace. If the goal is to get kids through school with necessary skills to advance to the next level and be competitive in a global economy than our schools need the ability to teach customize curriculums on an individual level.

We need to really think outside the box. Concepts like doing away with the k-12 grade structure that focuses more on a child's age than where they are mentally.

As to your differing outcomes. GOOD. Let parents see what works and what doesn't and allow them the ability to 'shop' for the school that they feel will provide the best outcome for their children.

Last edited:
I think there should be a heavy load of math, science, history, computer skills, reading, writing, physical education and social interaction within the students and student body. What I mean by that is kids need to be taught what is appropriate behavior within the community. All the rest of it - meaning the liberal minded feel good courses, can be discarded. Also to graduate from high school a student should be able to speak one other language other than English be it French, German, Spanish, or whatever. I also believe that all students should be required to wear an appropriate school uniform, no facial hair, and maintain a decent haircut.

School uniforms are evil though? Hence why public schools don't have them.

Believe it not, as liberal as I probably seem to many of you, I'd make schools much more strict than they currently are.

There's so many things I'd change about our educational system, starting with how its funded, who runs them, and how they'd be run, that you wouldn't recognize the editecian eduucational system.

For instance?

We'd have one national school system (funded nationally) with one standard set of classes and requirements for graduation.

I have absolutely no confidence in the theory that school ought to be run locally.

And if one looks at the wildly different outcomes that one gets between school districts, one ought to be able to see why I have no confidence in the system we have in place now.

Two nearby school districts whose students are demographically similar can have very different student outcomes.

Why?

Because the management of the schools can be so very very different and much of that stems from very different school board expectations.

This does a great disservice to students, folks.

Sorry Ed. But the fact that schools are under a big umbrella is the problem, not the solution. You have to think of school like any other business. Though instead of business measurements like quality ratings of products and profits you measure the success of a school by things like graduation rates and avg. grades.

You just got done in another thread about how socialized systems bring the whole down, but that's exactly what you want to do for the education of our children?

No, schools need to have the reigns taken OFF and be allowed to do things their own way. To figure out what actually works. The more schools do things differently the more we will be able to see what actually works in terms of producing smart, globally competitive intelligence.

The other reason for "UN-standardization" if you will. Is that all kids don't learn the same way or at the same pace. If the goal is to get kids through school with necessary skills to advance to the next level and be competitive in a global economy than our schools need the ability to teach customize curriculums on an individual level.

We need to really think outside the box. Concepts like doing away with the k-12 grade structure that focuses more on a child's age than where they are mentally.

As to your differing outcomes. GOOD. Let parents see what works and what doesn't and allow them the ability to 'shop' for the school that they feel will provide the best outcome for their children.

Yes, and no . I am fully for having national standards but at the same time you are correct, local schools need the flexibility to make things work for them.

I have some ideas but would like to hear what others think. Please, leave the partisan rhetoric out and offer the best ideas you have.

Eliminate the DoEd. Let schools compete for a national ranking, make that ranking well known and what it cost to live in that district. The best school areas will thrive as others empty, b/c most people want the best they can afford for their kids.

Get rid of mandatory attendance after age 14. the last thing kids need is some jackass making it harder for them to learn. And it would make getting expelled a more serious punishment.

No one that doesn't finish gets any type of entitlements. further encouragement to finish.

I have some ideas but would like to hear what others think. Please, leave the partisan rhetoric out and offer the best ideas you have.

Eliminate the DoEd. Let schools compete for a national ranking, make that ranking well known and what it cost to live in that district. The best school areas will thrive as others empty, b/c most people want the best they can afford for their kids.

Computers and the internet make the educational system obsolete. Netbooks come with 250 gig drives now. Create a 100 gig educational database. That is enough space for 100,000 books. But this society can't even create a recommended reading list classified by age and subject.

The social class and economic power games depend on the control of the distribution of knowledge.

Vero Beach high school in Florida showed what could be done in 1987.

I am accessing this site with the $100 CVS Sylvania computer right now. It could easily hold 500 books and educational software. The 8 gig SD Card could take that to 8000 books. But the computer industry wants to make money selling computers. They will just give lip service to education to serve that end.

psik

Computers and the internet make the educational system obsolete. Netbooks come with 250 gig drives now. Create a 100 gig educational database. That is enough space for 100,000 books. But this society can't even create a recommended reading list classified by age and subject.

The social class and economic power games depend on the control of the distribution of knowledge.

I am accessing this site with the $100 CVS Sylvania computer right now. It could easily hold 500 books and educational software. The 8 gig SD Card could take that to 8000 books. But the computer industry wants to make money selling computers. They will just give lip service to education to serve that end.

psik

That got me thinking.

My wife works from home. Why can't my kids learn from home? They issue all HS students lap tops (I kid you not), mainly so they can email in thier home work.

Granted, not everyone will be able to do this, and some classes have to be tought in a classroom, but most of it can be done over the internet.

1. Dismantle the DOE, and forbid the national government from being involved in education in any manner. It is a state issue.

2. Privatize the system 95%

3. Ban teacher's unions unless they are private schools only.

4. Mandatory property tax credit for homeschoolers. No reason for people who opt out of the failed system to support it.

The rest would be left to individual communities to argue about how they educate their kids.

1. Dismantle the DOE, and forbid the national government from being involved in education in any manner. It is a state issue.

4. Mandatory property tax credit for homeschoolers. No reason for people who opt out of the failed system to support it.

The rest would be left to individual communities to argue about how they educate their kids.

Another several great ideas!

Another several great ideas!
I think so. But I doubt Wry will concur.

Stop shoving politics down the students throats.
Teach them the basics. The basics needed to get succesfully by in life.
Get rid of the revisionist "HISTORY" books....Teach them the truth.
Put those beautiful american flags back in the classroom.
If a kid wants to pray, let 'em pray.....If not, fine.
Fire all the teachers who's students on average are failing.
Do away with unionized teachers

Thats insane, how are you going to fire a teacher if the kids in his classroom just don't care? alot of times the teacher does try and the kids just don't give back.

psik

That got me thinking.

My wife works from home. Why can't my kids learn from home? They issue all HS students lap tops (I kid you not), mainly so they can email in thier home work.

Granted, not everyone will be able to do this, and some classes have to be tought in a classroom, but most of it can be done over the internet.

Adults work from home because they are earning a paycheck and have proven themselves to be responsible to be able to work without being micro managed, you really think you can give a 16 year a lap top and send them home and expect them to do their work on their own? I don't think thats a good idea at all.

I think there should be a heavy load of math, science, history, computer skills, reading, writing, physical education and social interaction within the students and student body. What I mean by that is kids need to be taught what is appropriate behavior within the community. All the rest of it - meaning the liberal minded feel good courses, can be discarded. Also to graduate from high school a student should be able to speak one other language other than English be it French, German, Spanish, or whatever. I also believe that all students should be required to wear an appropriate school uniform, no facial hair, and maintain a decent haircut.

I'm curious, why no facial hair?

psik

That got me thinking.

Adults work from home because they are earning a paycheck and have proven themselves to be responsible to be able to work without being micro managed, you really think you can give a 16 year a lap top and send them home and expect them to do their work on their own? I don't think thats a good idea at all.

I'm active in my kids grades. But I see your point. Just b/c my kids would pay attention, most of the time, doesn't put them above the idea of surfing the net when bored.

meh

It was a bad idea.

Thats insane, how are you going to fire a teacher if the kids in his classroom just don't care? alot of times the teacher does try and the kids just don't give back.
The kids don't care or give back or try because there are no consequences due to namby pamby schools and absentee parents. Like a cop without a gun. What is he going to do? "Stop! or I'll say stop again!"

We can do that by removing the law that makes attendance required.

Imagine how nice it would have been to get the ass clowns, not just outta your class, but out of the school..

That got me thinking.

I'm active in my kids grades. But I see your point. Just b/c my kids would pay attention, most of the time, doesn't put them above the idea of surfing the net when bored.

meh

It was a bad idea.

I don't think all kids would do that but I have seen enough that would just throw their lap top in the back of their car and just take off downtown, where I went to school the teachers really didn;t care what you did as long as you didnt threaten them. Maybe some of the gifted kids could take the lap tops and work from home but I really don't think this program would work for the majority of teenagers.

Forum List

Back