How would Dems like it;

do you believe in FORCED UNIONIZATION?

I believe that the workers of a given facility have the right to vote for or against union representation. In that case ALL workers benefit from any negotiated salary or working conditions. I don't believe a worker should be able to opt out of the union and still benefit from being in a union shop
When I was in college, the steel mills (still operating then) offered summer jobs to college kids. I remember my first paycheck (in the summer of 1975) and staring at it with amazement! I had summer jobs as a high school student making minimum wage.

Then, I noticed a deduction for union dues. I questioned my foreman as I had not joined the USW Local.

"The union members fought for the wages and benefits you now see in your check." he explained.

I never questioned paying that relative pittance for union dues after that.

LOL

Reminds me of my son when he got his first paycheck as a lifeguard at 15. He looked at all the deductions and asked me about them.

He asked about the federal tax and I told him you don't make much money...you will get that back at the end of the yeat

He asked about the state tax and I told him he would get that back at the end of the year

Then he asked...What is FICA? I told him he would get that back also. He asked when and I told him....in about 50 years

Kid looked like he was going to cry

I think workers should have the basic right to organize for better conditions. It's not an inherently political concept, it's just become so as the Democrats support that notion and the GOP does not.

So, I don't see it as a matter of politics, just fairness. The fact that the DEMs support unions and generally have union support is just an aside to me.

Forum List

Back