How would a world with no paper copy be safe for consumers?

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
If most transactions have no paper copy anymore can you trust what you sign not to change?

• Banned
If contracts are not on a hard copy and are merely stored somewhere in a storage disk can someone go back and alter the doc and ruin your credit, alter the amount you own or the like?

Can you trust who stores these documents or has accesss to them?

• Banned
What if they could change what you sign?

What if they could change their own words to make it look like you were lying about them and then sue you?

It is always a practice of mine to always print, scan or copy every important document and keep it in a safe as a back up. There is always the possibility of fraud or some event that can wipe data out. Be safe, back data up and make a hard copy of important stuff.

I been thinkin about this too, lately, TM, but more along the lines of how it applies to literature.

Don't get me wrong, folks, I love my Kindle. Being able to take an entire small library's worth of reading material around with me is so handy I could sh*t myself. It's the greatest gadget that I never knew I wanted until I had it.

That said, electronic copies of books supplied by internet providers are becoming more and more popular, and physical bookstores across the nation are dropping like flies. How many Barnes and Nobles and Borders have shut down in your neck of the woods? Now don't get me wrong, I don't lament the need for as many natural resources to be dedicated to casual reading as were once required to feed the demand for books (NOT A BIG DEAL IF WE USED HEMP TO MAKE PAPER), but if the trend continues to its logical extreme, eventually all book copies will be based on electronic document sources. I can hear the tiny, often rejected voice of the conspiracy theorist that lives in my head screaming, over and over again, "Fahrenheit 451!"

Maybe it's silly, but can you imagine how easy it would be for a ruler/government to completely and drastically alter an entire society's conception of history in a single generation if all those records were only stored electronically?

Forum List

Back