How Woud We Survive Without Them?

Who would cook our burgers and fries? Or take-out Chinese food? Or Tacos?

Who would bus the tables or wash the dishes?

Who would keep the public and private gardens neat?

Who would own and operate all the 24 hour convenience stores?

Who would stand around outside the Home Depots or Lowe's, available to do all those dirty little jobs nobody else wants?

Think about that the next time you complain about "the dirty greasers" or the Indians or Sikhs in the local 7-11,

How many of the food stamp vultures or welfare kings and queens do you see doing these things?

Oh yeah - and like it or not, they DO pay taxes. Untold millions withheld from pay checks to go into phony accounts that nobody claims. The same with FICA and state and local withholdings. And, who pays sales taxes, property taxes, and all the rest while getting no benefits from paying them?

Think about it!!!

All of those jobs were done by Americans at one point.
And what really pisses me off? A lot of them were jobs that taught our children the value of a dollar and hard work.

That's true, but in some areas there are large pockets of LEGAL immigrants. The OP does not know if these people are "illegal immigrants." Unless he goes around asking people for proof of their citizenship? I don't know. I suppose anything is possible.

I live in Texas so I know all about mexican immigrants.
When I was a kid we mowed lawns for money,those days are over.
When I first started working in machine shops in the mid eighties hispanics made up maybe 5% of the workforce.
When I retired 4 years ago it was around 80%. All this "they only do the jobs Americans dont want" is utter bullshit.

Who would stand around outside the Home Depots or Lowe's, available to do all those dirty little jobs nobody else wants?

Think about that the next time you complain about "the dirty greasers" or the Indians or Sikhs in the local 7-11,

How many of the food stamp vultures or welfare kings and queens do you see doing these things?

Oh yeah - and like it or not, they DO pay taxes. Untold millions withheld from pay checks to go into phony accounts that nobody claims. The same with FICA and state and local withholdings. And, who pays sales taxes, property taxes, and all the rest while getting no benefits from paying them?

Think about it!!!

And what really pisses me off? A lot of them were jobs that taught our children the value of a dollar and hard work.

That's true, but in some areas there are large pockets of LEGAL immigrants. The OP does not know if these people are "illegal immigrants." Unless he goes around asking people for proof of their citizenship? I don't know. I suppose anything is possible.

Nowhere in my OP was there any mention of legal versus illegals. It was simply a commentary about what one sees if one opens one eyes.

IMHO, there are probably far, far more ILLEGALS who appreciate what a wonderful country this is as there are CITIZENS!!!

Think about it!!!

Nowhere in my OP was there any mention of legal versus illegals. It was simply a commentary about what one sees if one opens one eyes.

IMHO, there are probably far, far more ILLEGALS who appreciate what a wonderful country this is as there are CITIZENS!!!

Yeah, so what?
There are legal ways to come here.
They should go home and try again.

Yes there was. You mentioned phony accounts being paid into which would never be collected upon. Why would legal residents do that?

Yes there was. You mentioned phony accounts being paid into which would never be collected upon. Why would legal residents do that?

That wasn't in the OP. It was in response to another post - and is quite valid.

It was in the OP. Post #1 in this thread is the OP, correct?

It sounds as if you are talking about illegals here. Is the thread just about immigrants in general? Your point is lost on me now.

Think about it!!!
I don't think we are as dependent on these people as you make it sound. YOU think about IT, who did all these same jobs you refer to thirty or forty years ago? Posts like yours end up sounding like weak justifications for encouraging immigration (legal or NOT) so they can be exploited by greedy shortsighted lazy ass thoughtless jerks with no sense of culture or history...

Of course if they are illegal, then those employers should be in big trouble. Notice that nothing changes in regards to this kind of thing? I thought that we were going to be cracking down on employers who hire illegal immigrants?? When is this supposed to start happening? Why don't all companies have to use E verify?
Many farmers can prove in their ledgers, that without the seasonal illegals, they would be out of business. There was this story about an overseer beating a Mexican to death for daring to drink a water on the farm whilst working. After that the Mexicans boycotted his farm and he went out of business that year.

Of course if they are illegal, then those employers should be in big trouble. Notice that nothing changes in regards to this kind of thing? I thought that we were going to be cracking down on employers who hire illegal immigrants?? When is this supposed to start happening? Why don't all companies have to use E verify?
Many farmers can prove in their ledgers, that without the seasonal illegals, they would be out of business. There was this story about an overseer beating a Mexican to death for daring to drink a water on the farm whilst working. After that the Mexicans boycotted his farm and he went out of business that year.

What utter nonsense. There are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign farm workers. There is no reason for them to hire illegal aliens except to increase their profits aka greed.

I stand corrected. I did state that illegals DO pay taxes.

It sounds as if you are talking about illegals here. Is the thread just about immigrants in general? Your point is lost on me now.

Yeah, I WAS talking about illegals - but also the many legal immigrants who are here performing jobs native born Americans no longer want to do,

Yeah, I WAS talking about illegals - but also the many legal immigrants who are here performing jobs native born Americans no longer want to do,

Well, thanks for clarifying that. I agree about illegals. They have absolutely no business working here in the US. Legal immigrants are legal citizens though. They have every right to apply for any jobs and work for any employers as any other legal citizen does. At least they made the effort and they are legal citizens. They are contributing to the economy and paying taxes.

I guess my view of illegals come from having gone through the lengthy, difficult, and very expensive process of getting my wife and her children their permanent residencies.

It also tells me why so many don't go through the mess. ICE is just another blood-sucking government agency that does not provide "service" to anyone

Well, thanks for clarifying that. I agree about illegals. They have absolutely no business working here in the US. Legal immigrants are legal citizens though. They have every right to apply for any jobs and work for any employers as any other legal citizen does. At least they made the effort and they are legal citizens. They are contributing to the economy and paying taxes.
Legal immigrants aren't citizens. Are you confused?

Just what jobs are illegals doing that Americans supposedly won't do? For crop picking there are unlimited visas for legal workers.

I stand corrected. I did state that illegals DO pay taxes.

But not enough to cover their enormous social costs.

"(J)obs native born Americans no longer want to do" is nonsense.

I guess my view of illegals come from having gone through the lengthy, difficult, and very expensive process of getting my wife and her children their permanent residencies.

It also tells me why so many don't go through the mess. ICE is just another blood-sucking government agency that does not provide "service" to anyone
What was difficult about it? I've been through the process twice with 2 different wives over the years, file the correct forms, pay the necessary fees goto the appointments.

Many don't go through the process because they choose not too, and because they simply don't want to, or they tried and were denied and still felt they had a right to come here to better themselves.

While you claim they pay taxes, they also receive refunds, and to date those refunds are more then they pay in due to them having dependents that they claim to get back large credits.

Localities don't receive enough in taxes paid by illegals to cover the services they use. I can go on, but your OP seems to be you making assumptions based on the color or nationality of said persons you deem as illegals.

Think about it!!!

Yeah, so what?
There are legal ways to come here.
They should go home and try again.

Sure there are legal ways to come here. If we Americans wants to go anywhere............ just about every countries in this planet will accept us. Tons of Americans that retire in other countries don't even bother to see immigrations. As long as they don't buy properties. They love us for bringing in dollars. But if a foreign citizens wants to apply for a visa to US...... you will face a series of tough questions.
What is your purpose? Tourist...... provide financial statements, deposit a refundable fund if you return, buy round trip tickets. That's easy if you have money.
Work visa..... What Is your professions? Who is hiring you? Provide proof that is subject for verification. Etc. etc.
Legal Immigration visa..... Wait inline.
H2B visa.... For some Mexicans that work well...... HOWEVER when they get here the employer must corralled them like animals so they don't scape. They didn't just came here all the way from Honduras, Philippines or Vietnam to pick strawberries. Lots of them purposely disappear as soon as they landed from the airport. Employer must provide a livable conditions and some basic medical needs. So where is your profits? Most of these H2 visas are illiterate so they send their best educated kids here to seek other opportunities aside from agriculture.

Forum List

Back