How will it end??

How will the War on Terrorism end...

• The Islamists will get nukes and destroy the west

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The west will use nukes on the Islamists and "slow" their war against us

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The world will end up in a total conflagration that destroys so much we end up "starting over"

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • It won't, it will just continue as it is: "Over there" and life goes on

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
We all get on here and debate back and forth to and fro on who is right, who is wrong, etc. in regards to the War on Terrorism. What I would like to ask is this. . . .

Do you think the War on Terrorism is winnable and if so, how do you think it will be won?

Frankly, I do not think it is winnable but I do believe that we must fight it. I am not a doomsayer, but it does look like this war will continue until one side or the other (or the entire world) is utterly destroyed. Quite frightening when you think about it, but it is something that must be considered.

Originally posted by cptpwichita
Do you believe in bible prophecy concerning the 'last days'?

Yes.... if we here that Israel and Palestine sign a seven year treaty then we know....

Well I don't think we are going to get as far as nukes on either side but I do think this will expand farther than Iraq and Afghanistan, just how far I don't know. I'm not agreeing with the so much gets destroyed that we have to start over deal either. I think that will come later on down the line and I don't think there will be anything or anybody left to start over with.

Originally posted by Patriot
Why can't the west win without nukes?

We could if we could mobilize our people but we know that is not going to happen. We are going to find ourselves fighting millions (if not 100's of millions) of radicals with a few people and a lot of technology. Technology will only get you so far.... JMHO

That is why I say nukes. I just don't think we can win in a conventional war. This has turned into an us against them situation and therefore, it will only strengthen their resolve to NEVER surrender or "see the light". Again, JMHO.

I don't think it will take nukes, certainly not in Iraq. What it will take is resolve. One that will not be shaken by butt crack photos that are humiliating, not torture. The Sunday news programs and pundits need to understand the difference.

Originally posted by Kathianne
I don't think it will take nukes, certainly not in Iraq. What it will take is resolve. One that will not be shaken by butt crack photos that are humiliating, not torture. The Sunday news programs and pundits need to understand the difference.

I am not containing this to the war in Iraq. I am talking about the overall War on Terrorism.

Frankly, what you say is exactly the problem. So many Americans don't realize that this is a GLOBAL War on Terrorism. It is not just contained to Iraq and Afganistan and it won't just remain there. Terrorists live all over the world and therefore, we will be fighting all over the world.

Many don't realize that right this moment we have troops in the Philippines and other areas also fighting. In most of the other countries we are still just in an advising role, but we are there.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
So many Americans don't realize that this is a GLOBAL War on Terrorism. It is not just contained to Iraq and Afganistan and it won't just remain there.

Terrorists live all over the world and therefore, we will be fighting all over the world. Many don't realize that right this moment we have troops in the Philippines and other areas also fighting. In most of the other countries we are still just in an advising role, but we are there.

I agree. There are US troops most everywhere; a more troubling fact, there are terror cells in as many and possibly more places. In actuality, what scares me to no end is the number of mosques in the US that are preaching hatred of the US everyday, in our country.

It is not winnable with the tactcis currently being advocated and used by Dubbyuh and his merry band of neocon chickenhawks. They are caught in a reactive posture, and need to be proactive. Education, medical care, infrastructure and economic opportunity are the weapons with which terrorism will ultimately be defeated. Force of arms and oppression only breed terrorists.

Wrong you are Bully,
Education, medical care, infrastructure and economic opportunity are the weapons with which terrorism will ultimately be defeated.
these follow stability of government, the one thing, WMD or Not that we all agree are necessary for Iraq.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
It is not winnable with the tactcis currently being advocated and used by Dubbyuh and his merry band of neocon chickenhawks. They are caught in a reactive posture, and need to be proactive. Education, medical care, infrastructure and economic opportunity are the weapons with which terrorism will ultimately be defeated. Force of arms and oppression only breed terrorists.

I agree that it is not winnable.... but it has nothing to do with our tactics and it has everything to do with theirs. If you can proffer an opinion on what we can do, please do so!

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Actually this war is winnable in a conventional sense as long as the people understand that it requires willpower.

Enforcing PAX AMERICA will require that we openly extend the protection of the USA to all citizens. Basically we tell the world that if there is an American Citizen hurt in your country, we will determine if it was a crime or terrorism. If it is a crime we expect you to take the lead, solve the crime, dispense justice, and keep us apprised. If it is terrorism, you get the option of killing them and bringing us the bodies, or we will.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with exporting Education, medical care, infrastructure and economic opportunity to the world. But the world needs to know that we will no longer half step when/if you injure/kill Americans.

PAX AMERICA requires that our response be disproportionate to the crime. IF you kidnap and kill an American, then we will kill you, after we kill your family and destroy your home in front of you. Essentially we need to reinforce the doctrine of "No greater friend, no more fearsome foe" to the extreme limit.

Jus my $0.02

America will continue the fight for freedom in the world until the polarization of the political spectrum here at home reaches critical mass then we will have a civil war, Republican vs Democrat. While distracted with the civil war other nations in the world probably the EU and China and Arab nations will ally together and tell themselves that they can take us out of the picture and their lives during this war by invading us and dividing the nation up among them, which they will try to do. That is when we will unite. Kick the crap out of them and anyone else who messes with us.

First off, the war on terrorism is winable. I'll elaborate later.

Secondly, it seems people equate terrorism to one of the greater threats our world has even known. I don't believe the world is heading towards a cataclysm and honestly, I do believe we elevate terrorism as a threat greater than it is in reality. That's not to say it's terrible, it's abhorrent, but we must look at it in a greater context.

Historically, our society has been marred with movements that we said would bring "doom" and "disaster" into our world. We've survived rise of liberalism (Scalled the hell out of the world in 1848), slavery, communism and fascism. I don't understand the rationale that we will not survive terrorism. Our role in history is but a moment in the human story.

That being said, I reiterate the terrorism is winable, though I don't believe it has reached its apex. However, to believe that the only way that we will win or survive is by war is ignoring our historical pretense. Every "adverse", radical movement throughout history forced a change in society, usually for the better to order to solve what was a flaw in the structure of our current society.

For example:
Liberalism revolutions begat democracy and political reform
Slavery begat univeralism of human rights
Communism begat unions, social reform and corporate control
What will terrorism change in our society? I can't say for certain, but in order to kill terrorism, we must:
A. Remove the terrorists
B. Remove the reason why people become terrorists

In that context, i think Bully isn't completely off his rocker by any respects. Terrorism will never be completely rooted out until we've addressed the social aspect. Furthermore, I have complete confidence that it will happen because I do have faith in humanity and I think historical precedence shows that we all should too.

I think the war is 'winnable', though I don't know how the US will come out when it is over. I kind of fear a Brits in 1911, we may win the war but the expense will kill us.

God help the rest of the world if the US is bankrupt.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock:

You know Issac, there really isn't the magic bullet for reasons. Some are more than middle class, while some are poor. Their reasons are not discernable by us.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock

A. Remove the terrorists

Nick Berg's head was being sawed off with a large knife and the terrorists where yelling " Allah Akbar"(God is great). How do you remove that reason from terrorism?

Originally posted by Kathianne
I think the war is 'winnable', though I don't know how the US will come out when it is over. I kind of fear a Brits in 1911, we may win the war but the expense will kill us.

God help the rest of the world if the US is bankrupt.

Have a little faith! The brits, didn't turn out so bad. Societies and empires rise and fall, but I don't think it is America's time, yet.

Even if they did, I've always loved this quote:
"It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be coming up it."
Though I have no idea who said it.

Forum List

Back