How will he "spin" it?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Come midnight this Friday, either a spending bill will have been passed and signed, or not. We already have seen rumblings that presage how the "spin" will go if neither a budget bill or continuing resolution is enacted. That is what it is, and mostly mostly what it is is sophistic for one cannot credibly blame "the other party" for government operations' involuntarily (though temporarily) ceasing when one party controls both chambers of Congress and the WH.

But that's not what this thread is about because, quite frankly, I think it a banal and hackneyed theme. It doesn't take much thought or effort to formulate a way and means of "passing the buck." About the only thing easier to do is actually fall off a log.

The thread questions/topic and themes of discussion here are these:
  • How do you predict Trump and his Congress will "spin" it if they do enact a spending bill?
  • How would you handle the matter were you the POTUS?

I know what I'd do, but I'm 99.5% certain that's not what Trump and the GOP Congress will do. I would make nothing -- no "spin" and no unrequested mention of having done so -- of getting the bill/resolution passed. If I were POTUS and asked about it, I'd simply say something like "Keeping the government running is part of my and Congress' job. I did my job. So did Congress." That's all I'd say on the matter, and I wouldn't volunteer the remarks. Someone would have to ask me some sort of direct question for which that is a fitting answer.

Why would I handle it that way? Because for my entire life, my accomplishments have spoken for themselves. When one has legitimately accomplished something that one also fully understands the magnitude of that which one accomplished, the mere fact that one did it will loudly speak volumes. At that point, one simply lets others sing one's praises.

FWIW, it's an insanely efficient approach -- one doesn't spend any resources boosting oneself in the eyes of others -- but more interestingly, has much in common with one of the themes of "no money down" investing. Seeing as I know Trump is very familiar with that tactic as it applies to real estate, it surprises me that he's for nearly a century failed to deduce how to apply the idea to one of the other things he highly values: self promotion and image creation. For people having big egos, leaving much unsaid produces far more fulfilling "ego stroking" than does screaming one's own praises from the highest mountain, so to speak.

Come midnight this Friday, either a spending bill will have been passed and signed, or not. We already have seen rumblings that presage how the "spin" will go if neither a budget bill or continuing resolution is enacted. That is what it is, and mostly mostly what it is is sophistic for one cannot credibly blame "the other party" for government operations' involuntarily (though temporarily) ceasing when one party controls both chambers of Congress and the WH.

But that's not what this thread is about because, quite frankly, I think it a banal and hackneyed theme. It doesn't take much thought or effort to formulate a way and means of "passing the buck." About the only thing easier to do is actually fall off a log.

• How do you predict Trump and his Congress will "spin" it if they do enact a spending bill?

I know what I'd do, but I'm 99.5% certain that's not what Trump and the GOP Congress will do. I would make nothing -- no "spin" and no unrequested mention of having done so -- of getting the bill/resolution passed. If I were POTUS and asked about it, I'd simply say something like "Keeping the government running is part of my and Congress' job. I did my job. So did Congress." That's all I'd say on the matter, and I wouldn't volunteer the remarks. Someone would have to ask me some sort of direct question for which that is a fitting answer.

Why would I handle it that way? Because for my entire life, my accomplishments have spoken for themselves. When one has legitimately accomplished something that one also fully understands the magnitude of that which one accomplished, the mere fact that one did it will loudly speak volumes. At that point, one simply lets others sing one's praises.

FWIW, it's an insanely efficient approach -- one doesn't spend any resources boosting oneself in the eyes of others -- but more interestingly, has much in common with one of the themes of "no money down" investing. Seeing as I know Trump is very familiar with that tactic as it applies to real estate, it surprises me that he's for nearly a century failed to deduce how to apply the idea to one of the other things he highly values: self promotion and image creation. For people having big egos, leaving much unsaid produces far more fulfilling "ego stroking" than does screaming one's own praises from the highest mountain, so to speak.

Because for my entire life, my accomplishments have spoken for themselves.

And remind me again who you are?

I don't give a fuck if you're a conservative or liberal?

What have you done?

Because for my entire life, my accomplishments have spoken for themselves.

And remind me again who you are? I don't give a fuck if you're a conservative or liberal? What have you done?

Neither I, nor anyone else, need be famous for one's accomplishments to speak for themselves. You see, everyone has accomplishments. A key distinguishing factor is whether they are satisfied with having accomplished them. Another is whether when they present their "CV" of achievements to others who matter to them, or to whom they want to matter, those other individuals are satisfied with what they learn.

What have I done? A whole lot of things, and I'm not ashamed of what I haven't done, nor overly proud of what I have done. And not that I need to tell you, but solely in the hope that by telling you, you can "move on" and engage in a substantive discussion -- something you should be able to do regardless of whether you have an idea of what I've done -- here are few of them:
  • With honors, obtained two undergraduate degrees
  • Obtained a master's degree
  • Obtained professional certifications in business management, accounting and economics
  • Established a reputation among clients, peers and colleagues for being a "go to guy" for my areas of specialty, as well as for being able to get just about anything accomplished provided I agree to take on doing so
  • Established a reputation for being someone who is not too timid to eschew sugarcoating "bad news" and who is risk averse enough not to overvalue "good news"
  • Raised and put four children through school and college/graduate school
  • Secured financial stability for myself (barring extraordinary catastrophe) and my children (barring their being extraordinarily "pound foolish") for the remainder of my and their days (No, my kids won't necessarly be rich due to my efforts, but they'll never have to lift a finger to enjoy the lifestyle to which I made them accustomed.)
  • Written and published six papers that I was invited to present at professional conferences
  • Traveled the world and developed at working familiarity with four cultures beside that of America
  • Became moderately conversant in two languages besides English
  • Ensure that my parents, in their dotage, are well cared for and in the manner they find suitable
  • Consistently given of both my time and money to a variety of charitable causes
  • Mentored young people starting their careers/lives as fully fledged adults
  • Maintained my physical fitness and general good health
  • Started and, for 15 years, ran a successful consultancy that I grew to 50 full time consultants before selling my firm to a vastly larger competitor in the same industry, whereafter I managed and grew the "unit" to include five new partners/principals, thus making me personally responsible for managing just over $10M/year per partner in fee revenue. Over time I rose to the ranks of the firm's general partners/principals and my scope expanded to hundreds of millions in revenue generated by hundreds of people working in multiple units within my span of responsibility.
  • Produced measureable results that, for my clients, minimally treble the fees they paid me to produce those results.
So, you see, though I am nearly certain that you have never heard of me, the fact is that I have accomplished things, things I wanted to achieve, and the things I've accomplished speak for themselves to the people who matter to me and to whom I matter.

Now it may very well be that you too matter in myriad ways (I don't know you, so I can't say), but I'm not confused about the fact that I shouldn't matter to you (your asking what I've accomplished suggests that may not be so), and lest you think otherwise, you don't matter to me; thus I have no desire to know what you've accomplished. I assure you I never lose sight of those truths. If you do the same, there's a fair chance we can actually engage in some substantive conversations wherein the substance and merit of the ideas we express speak for themselves and are more important than the body of "doings" that led each of us to having those ideas.

New Topics

Forum List

Back