How will eliminating the Estate Tax benefit the Middle class?

Taxing death isn't fair or reasonable.

Why am I not surprised you didn't even bother to read the OP.

Trump’s Tax Plan Cuts Rates for Individuals and Corporations and Eliminates Many Deductions

“My plan is for working people and my plan is for jobs,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t benefit. Very, very strongly I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth.”

The Estate tax in 2017 only applies to estates of $5,490,000 or more. If Donald Trump died tomorrow Melania, as his spouse, would still not have to pay any estate taxes on Donald's supposed $10 billion dollars- because of the spousal exemption. If both of them died tomorrow- then yes- his kids would face estate taxes.

How does eliminating the estate tax benefit 'working people'? How does it generate jobs?

Provisions such as the alternative minimum tax and the estate tax, a tax on inherited wealth which Mr. Trump has derided over the years, would be gone under the Republican proposal.

How does it do anything but benefit the families of the wealthiest Americans?

Save me the arguments that the Estate tax is 'unfair'- Trump and the Republicans are claiming these tax cuts are all about generating jobs and benefiting the middle class- if you want to claim that the reason to eliminate the estate tax is because the tax is 'unfair'- then go ahead and admit that Trump and the Republicans are lying to Americans about what the tax cuts are for- and who they are supposed to benefit.

The estate pays the tax.

So lets say your mommy and daddy are worth $10 million dollars- and both die in a tragic automobile accident.

You inherit all $10 million dollars free and clear- because the joint exemption for your parents wealth is $10.98 million

Now if your parents are worth $20 million- their estate will have to pay estate taxes on approximately $9 million- and you will get the $11 million + plus the balance of the $9 million after taxes.

How will eliminating that tax create jobs or help the middle class- both which the Republicans and Trump have said this tax change is intended to do?
What do they do if its just assets and not currency?

Take out a loan? Same as with property taxes if you own property but are cash poor.
Pay interest for paying taxes on something your family left you in their will that was already taxed and paid for? Holy shit man.. Thats sad
A lot different than income

Then sell some of the free stuff you inherit from your family if you don't want to pay interest.
If you think that this particular tax- on the wealthiest Americans- is unfair- fine.

But that isn't what Trump or the Republicans are selling to Americans- they are saying that these tax cuts are to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

I don't think it is particularly 'fair' to lie to the American people about what the tax cuts are.
you pick one thing out and bash. Thats pretty dishonest.

And by 'dishonest' you mean I specifically stated the absolute truth- and you don't care that the Republicans are lying to you.

What do they do if its just assets and not currency?

Take out a loan? Same as with property taxes if you own property but are cash poor.
Pay interest for paying taxes on something your family left you in their will that was already taxed and paid for? Holy shit man.. Thats sad

Then sell some of the free stuff you inherit from your family if you don't want to pay interest.
If you think that this particular tax- on the wealthiest Americans- is unfair- fine.

But that isn't what Trump or the Republicans are selling to Americans- they are saying that these tax cuts are to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

I don't think it is particularly 'fair' to lie to the American people about what the tax cuts are.

And by 'dishonest' you mean I specifically stated the absolute truth- and you don't care that the Republicans are lying to you.
Lol ok
This is a hack thread. Enjoy your circle of stupidity.

Trump’s Tax Plan Cuts Rates for Individuals and Corporations and Eliminates Many Deductions

“My plan is for working people and my plan is for jobs,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t benefit. Very, very strongly I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth.”

The Estate tax in 2017 only applies to estates of $5,490,000 or more. If Donald Trump died tomorrow Melania, as his spouse, would still not have to pay any estate taxes on Donald's supposed $10 billion dollars- because of the spousal exemption. If both of them died tomorrow- then yes- his kids would face estate taxes.

How does eliminating the estate tax benefit 'working people'? How does it generate jobs?

Provisions such as the alternative minimum tax and the estate tax, a tax on inherited wealth which Mr. Trump has derided over the years, would be gone under the Republican proposal.

Save me the arguments that the Estate tax is 'unfair'- Trump and the Republicans are claiming these tax cuts are all about generating jobs and benefiting the middle class- if you want to claim that the reason to eliminate the estate tax is because the tax is 'unfair'- then go ahead and admit that Trump and the Republicans are lying to Americans about what the tax cuts are for- and who they are supposed to benefit.

The estate tax should be zero. That you and your family can't live above the poverty level doesn't mean someone that made it should pay taxes so you can have more for nothing.

Lol ok

I realize that dealing with an actual substantive policy issue is a challenge for you and your ilk who are more used to your circle jerk of Contard concerns for football players kneeling or who goes into a bathroom.

So don't waste your time and let the adults have a conversation.

Lol ok

I realize that dealing with an actual substantive policy issue is a challenge for you and your ilk who are more used to your circle jerk of Contard concerns for football players kneeling or who goes into a bathroom.

From what i have seen, there is a lot in there that could help out the middle class. You pick ONE THING that doesnt "help" them (notice it doesnt even hurt them) and you bitch about it.
HACK BOI

The estate tax should be zero. That you and your family can't live above the poverty level doesn't mean someone that made it should pay taxes so you can have more for nothing.

Again- 'its not fair'

Still not one Conservative who has bothered to even attempt to address the OP.

Are you okay with Trump and the Republicans lying to Americans about the intent of the tax cut?

Lol ok

From what i have seen, there is a lot in there that could help out the middle class. You pick ONE THING that doesnt "help" them (notice it doesnt even hurt them) and you bitch about it.
HACK BOI

Yes- I am pointing out that the Republicans are lying to all of us about their reason for the tax cut.

IF their reason was as stated- "to help the middle class and to raise jobs'- they wouldn't have included eliminating the estate tax.

I am addressing this specific point in the tax cut because it is one of the very few concrete proposals Trump has put out there- and it directly contradicts what he claims to be doing.

Tax free up to 5 million seems like a pretty good tax break to me. I'd be happy to get the 5 million and then have to pay taxes on the rest of it.
The Dems have proposed confiscating everything over 5 million. How would you feel about that??

No- the Democrats haven't proposed anything- the tax reform is a GOP proposal.

Currently everything over 5 million(10 million per couple) is taxed- nothing below it.

Why do you believe that the wealthiest of Americans shouldn't be taxed?
Obviously, I was not speaking of the current tax proposal from the Republicans ---- the Dems haven't proposed anything in it. The reference was to their proposal while Obama was in office. You choose to intentionally misinterpret what I said in order to create a false narrative.

Now, as for your nonsense about the wealthiest of Americans not being taxed - that's exactly what it is - nonsense. Their money has already been taxed - up to 39%. What gives you the right to take more of it? If you want to tax estates, let's tax all estates at the same rate - no matter how big or how small.

I do like how you take a single instance - an objection to the death tax - and conflate that into some larger crime of being soft on taxing the wealthy. They have a term for that ....

Same ol' BS .... "if we allow the wealthy to keep their money, it won't benefit the middle class. There will be no jobs created, there will be no companies invested in."

Y'all need to wake up to reality. Until then, a discussion based on a false strawman is an exercise in mental masturbation.

Wow- talk about a strawman.

Trump and theRepublicans are proposing this tax cut stating specifically it is to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

Are you agreeing that the Republicans and Trump are lying to Americans as to their stated reason for the tax cut?
Nope - I agree with Trump.

My point was the amazingly silly idea that taxes saved by the rich will NOT result in increased opportunities for the middle class is, in a word, uninformed (I got lots of other words, but not for here). They throw out convenient bromides to try to avoid a legitimate discussion of the issue at hand.

Republicans are so greedy that they want to eliminate taxes on the wealthiest Americans.

Explain to me how that equates to greed?

It was an ironic reply to this post

Democrats are so greedy that they are grave robbers

If Democrats are 'greedy' for wanting to tax the wealthiest Americans, then Republicans- and Donald Trump are greedy for wanting to eliminate taxes from the wealthiest Americans- which includes of course Donald Trump and the majority of Republicans proposing this tax cut.

Again- 'its not fair'

Still not one Conservative who has bothered to even attempt to address the OP.

Are you okay with Trump and the Republicans lying to Americans about the intent of the tax cut?

I will, and did, address the OP. Trump and the Republicans did not lie to Americans. That kinda shoots your whole premise in the ass, don't you think? Changing the estate tax WILL benefit middle class America. Clearly, your decidedly shallow understanding of macroeconomics keeps you from understanding how.

Tax free up to 5 million seems like a pretty good tax break to me. I'd be happy to get the 5 million and then have to pay taxes on the rest of it.
The Dems have proposed confiscating everything over 5 million. How would you feel about that??

Currently everything over 5 million(10 million per couple) is taxed- nothing below it.

Obviously, I was not speaking of the current tax proposal from the Republicans ---- the Dems haven't proposed anything in it. The reference was to their proposal while Obama was in office. You choose to intentionally misinterpret what I said in order to create a false narrative...

Please do cite that legislation that was proposed.

I didn't intentionally misinterpret anything- I was discussing our current situation- where Republicans are claiming that this tax cut is for the benefit of the middle class and to create jobs.

Do you want to actually address the OP?

Now, as for your nonsense about the wealthiest of Americans not being taxed - that's exactly what it is - nonsense. Their money has already been taxed - up to 39%. What gives you the right to take more of it? If you want to tax estates, let's tax all estates at the same rate - no matter how big or how small...

Their money may have been taxed- or may not have been taxed.

What gives the government the right to tax anyone?

What makes a sales tax or an income tax more fair than a wealth tax or an estate tax.

Or why not make individual income taxes like business taxes- take all income, deduct all expenses- and tax the profits.

But once again- thanks for ignoring the OP to rant about how unfair it is that the wealthiest Americans have to pay an estate tax on everything they inherit over $10,000,000.

Obviously, I was not speaking of the current tax proposal from the Republicans ---- the Dems haven't proposed anything in it. The reference was to their proposal while Obama was in office. You choose to intentionally misinterpret what I said in order to create a false narrative...

I didn't intentionally misinterpret anything- I was discussing our current situation- where Republicans are claiming that this tax cut is for the benefit of the middle class and to create jobs.

i have neither the time, nor the inclination, to address your ignorance.

I did address the OP -

Same ol' BS .... "if we allow the wealthy to keep their money, it won't benefit the middle class. There will be no jobs created, there will be no companies invested in."

Y'all need to wake up to reality. Until then, a discussion based on a false strawman is an exercise in mental masturbation.

Wow- talk about a strawman.

Trump and theRepublicans are proposing this tax cut stating specifically it is to benefit the middle class and to create jobs.

Are you agreeing that the Republicans and Trump are lying to Americans as to their stated reason for the tax cut?
Nope - I agree with Trump.

My point was the amazingly silly idea that taxes saved by the rich will NOT result in increased opportunities for the middle class is, in a word, uninformed .

Well then inform us. Tell us how this will directly benefit the middle class.

i have neither the time, nor the inclination, to address your ignorance.

I did address the OP -

LOL- yet you have the time to whine without providing anything to refute what i have said.

You really are a Republican!

Now, as for your nonsense about the wealthiest of Americans not being taxed - that's exactly what it is - nonsense. Their money has already been taxed - up to 39%. What gives you the right to take more of it? If you want to tax estates, let's tax all estates at the same rate - no matter how big or how small...

Their money may have been taxed- or may not have been taxed.

What gives the government the right to tax anyone?

What makes a sales tax or an income tax more fair than a wealth tax or an estate tax.

Or why not make individual income taxes like business taxes- take all income, deduct all expenses- and tax the profits.

But once again- thanks for ignoring the OP to rant about how unfair it is that the wealthiest Americans have to pay an estate tax on everything they inherit over $10,000,000.
Post 33 - ignore it at your peril. It only makes you look dumb.

Forum List

Back