How/why did you arrive @ your ideology/party?

I grew up in a single parent household in a project in NYC, there was a time for (oh half a year I think) we were on welfare.
My senior year of high school and 2 years of fraternity membership which I am pretty sure was affiliated with a college, my head was being set up with the usual, I knew better than anyone 10 years or more older than me, my life experience was paramount and wise beyond its years, the US was a place where in the system was rigged against the 'little guy' and the social/ political upheaval around me during that time was conducive to this mindset.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems however.

I spent from ages 20 to 30 in the military, any illusions as to the US being a greedy, nihilist, ultimately evil society, after having the opportunity to visit 11 different country's on 4 continents was dispelled.

Poverty? don't make me laugh, we don't have poverty here.

Freedom? I mean freedom to associate with whomever you want. I took an Intoursit trip to St. Petersburg ( Leningrad then) in 86, I asked the guide why was it whenever I asked her to approach someone with me or I did whom I thought may speak English to talk to them, you know get on with the natives, they walked away,or looked at me and averted their eyes etc.....she said its better of we kept to ourselves and nodded to the crowd like I am supposed to understand that we were being watched because thats what the state does.

Trust me, you have not seen demeaning till someone talks to you then has to stop themselves and look around because they are afraid to be seen engaging to much with an American soldier, and they realize at that moment you are looking them wondering dude wtf? And they are embarrassed and demeaned because you have the freedom they don't and you both realize it at the same time.....its beyond sad, its tragic.

Anyway, that made short work any formative angst over the proletariat being enslaved by the bourgeoisie etc. here, yada yada yada......

The US is the place were the greatest individual achievement is within the grasp of the greatest number of its citizens.

Progressivism ( and liberalism as it is fashioned today) is the antithesis of this individual freedom and concept of greater liberty.

Last edited:
I grew up in a single parent household in a project in NYC, there was a time for (oh half a year I think) we were on welfare.
My senior year of high school and 2 years of fraternity membership which I am pretty sure was affiliated with a college, my head was being set up with the usual, I knew better than anyone 10 years or more older than me, my life experience was paramount and wise beyond its years, the US was a place where in the system was rigged against the 'little guy' and the social/ political upheaval around me during that time was conducive to this mindset.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems however.

I spent from ages 20 to 30 in the military, any illusions as to the US being a greedy, nihilist, ultimately evil society, after having the opportunity to visit 11 different country's on 4 continents was dispelled.

Poverty? don't make me laugh, we don't have poverty here.

Freedom? I mean freedom to associate with whomever you want. I took an Intoursit trip to St. Petersburg ( Leningrad then) in 86, I asked the guide why was it whenever I asked her to approach someone with me or I did whom I thought may speak English to talk to them, you know get on with the natives, they walked away,or looked at me and averted their eyes etc.....she said its better of we kept to ourselves and nodded to the crowd like I am supposed to understand that we were being watched because thats what the state does.

Trust me, you have not seen demeaning till someone talks to you then has to stop themselves and look around because they are afraid to be seen engaging to much with an American soldier, and they realize at that moment you are looking them wondering dude wtf? And they are embarrassed and demeaned because you have the freedom they don't and you both realize it at the same time.....its beyond sad, its tragic.

Anyway, that made short work any formative angst over the proletariat being enslaved by the bourgeoisie etc. here, yada yada yada......

The US is the place were the greatest individual achievement is within the grasp of the greatest number of its citizens.

Progressivism ( and liberalism as it is fashioned today) is the antithesis of this individual freedom and concept of greater liberty.

Excellent post, impressive background as well.

Certainly reading the Bible, and the writings of our founding fathers both influenced me to be more left-winged

My family been on welfare most they lives, I was when younger, but wanted better, even tho I could use it now, I'm doing without it, less burden to America if nothing else.

Plus it always inspires the left to call you a flaming hypocrite when you preach for fiscal restraint yet are on it.

I was raised Republican and voted for Reagan and Daddy Bush four times. In the early 90s, I saw a decided shift in the party as Gingrich took control. The post Reagan Republicans took on an all or nothing agenda and were more concerned with what was best for the party than what was best for the country.
The Clinton witch hunts proved the degree they were willing to go to in order to attack their opposition for political gain. Once Bush took office, the true nature of the party became evident. I, like most Americans, supported Bush after 9-11 and was willing to give him broad powers in fighting terrorism. I believe he abused those powers in ordering the invasion of Iraq and engaging in torture

Forum List

Back