How/why did you arrive @ your ideology/party?

(R)IGHTeous 1

GOPROUD
Dec 5, 2010
southeast Pennsylvania
Always interesting gauging this.

I didn't really care, or was just moderate/centrist, until 9/11. My pops laid the framework for my interest in politics when he asked me to work Bush 2000 with em, I agreed, it was too fun.

Come 9/11, I finally woke up, saw the need for preventative war, realized fear last longer than love, and if the world was really terrified of us, that wouldn't have happened obviously.

I began following all news daily, kept reading up on military and political history of the U.S. and abroad, and researching both party's histories and platforms so I could feel out where I belonged. I was center-right fiscally, I didn't wanna abolish welfare all together, just want it scaled back, cut, deregulation, end Fed., etc. I was for shrinking gov't. and for personal liberty, but wanted and knew we could have both liberty and security. That couple with my foreign policy, I quickly realized I was half neo-con, half-Libertarian.

At this same time, GWB continued to impress me with his stalwart emphasis on national security, and like me, newly awakened need for what is considered neo-conservative foreign policy. I took this with his social positions, which I mostly agreed with, and decided to support his admin.

After researching both parties histories, it was obvious to me I belonged in the GOP, as their history and platform put the Dems to shame. I proudly registered GOP when I turned 18.

Interesting, I discovered and embraced the religion of Peace Islam after I read about it and found out it is the most tolerant religion and is very accepting of other peoples beliefs, cultures, religions and sexual identities.

I've been both a dem and a rep, but neither really fit. I have no party and that looks like it's the way it will stay for the foreseeable future. Overall I'm more liberal than conservative looking at the (false) dichotomy of labels modern American politics offers. But I prefer nuanced policy positions and pragmatism over any ideological litmus test.

As far as the board goes, I've been called everything from a leftwing loon to a wishy washy centrist to a rightwing nut. Recently all on the same day. :D

So I guess I'm still making sense. :lol:

How I got here is a long, somewhat personal story in many ways. Life experience sums it up nicely. We are all the sum of our background, experiences, education and observations, are we not?

My parents were pinkos, and I fully expected to be a Democrat all my life. But after I began working I had a politican/boss I greatly admired who belonged to the GOP, so I campaigned for him. I grew more and more interested in politics and always felt more at home in the GOP.

Neither party fits me perfectly, and I can admire statesmen of either one.

When I was poor and homeless I spent most of my time blaming my former employer, my decision to go into the military, my parents and the establishment.

When I realized I was in controil of my own destiny (an epiphamy if you will), within a short period of time I was self sufficient, got married, started my own company, brought up a family and ahceived great success both financially as well as as an American.

Seems there is some truth to that whole personal responsibility thing.

It most certainly worked for me.

I didn't really care, or was just moderate/centrist, until 9/11. My pops laid the framework for my interest in politics when he asked me to work Bush 2000 with em, I agreed, it was too fun.

Come 9/11, I finally woke up, saw the need for preventative war, realized fear last longer than love, and if the world was really terrified of us, that wouldn't have happened obviously.

I began following all news daily, kept reading up on military and political history of the U.S. and abroad, and researching both party's histories and platforms so I could feel out where I belonged. I was center-right fiscally, I didn't wanna abolish welfare all together, just want it scaled back, cut, deregulation, end Fed., etc. I was for shrinking gov't. and for personal liberty, but wanted and knew we could have both liberty and security. That couple with my foreign policy, I quickly realized I was half neo-con, half-Libertarian.

At this same time, GWB continued to impress me with his stalwart emphasis on national security, and like me, newly awakened need for what is considered neo-conservative foreign policy. I took this with his social positions, which I mostly agreed with, and decided to support his admin.

After researching both parties histories, it was obvious to me I belonged in the GOP, as their history and platform put the Dems to shame. I proudly registered GOP when I turned 18.

Do you really think fear & terror would have stopped 911? You are talking about people that want to do something to elevate themselves to their god, so they can die and be a martyr and get their virgins.

Interesting, I discovered and embraced the religion of Peace Islam after I read about it and found out it is the most tolerant religion and is very accepting of other peoples beliefs, cultures, religions and sexual identities.

What the hell is "Peace Islam"?

I've certainly never heard of it before...

:lol::lol::lol:

Islam embraces "sexual identities"...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

And they are accepting of other religions as long as people of other religions are okay with not participating in politics, owning anything, or having equal rights.

My sister got me a subscription to Newsweek back when it was worth reading. They used to have folks on both sides argue different weeks. They had Milton Friedman arguing with his good bud Paul Samuelson over economic topics of the day (This was back in 1975-1980) and I found Friedman consistently a better writer and a better thinker. Most of the libs on the paper were pretty lame at making their points (Shana Alexander being a major exception. She is still my favorite liberal) usually engaging in various forms of special pleading. (I am a good guy, and the other side is evil, therefore I am right and they are wrong) It left a bad taste.

Life got me to where I am and tought me how I think.

Started off as a liberal, then I got my first pay check that had 20 hours of over time in it, it was ~ $5 more than a 40 hour check. That made me an anarchist. I truly wanted to burn shit down.
Grew outta that into a centrist
Joined the military and after what Clinton did, I vowed to never vote for another liberal as long as I live.
Became a full blown conservative in the GOP, then Bush did the voodoo and put us all on the dole, that pissed me off so much I had to take time to see what all the stances were in the GOP and how close they followed them.

That research made me an Independant fiscal Conservative.

All other issues should be handled on the State level.

When I was poor and homeless I spent most of my time blaming my former employer, my decision to go into the military, my parents and the establishment.

When I realized I was in controil of my own destiny (an epiphamy if you will), within a short period of time I was self sufficient, got married, started my own company, brought up a family and ahceived great success both financially as well as as an American.

:salute:

I didn't really get interested in politics till I was in my late 20's.

I don't belong to any party but do lean right. I'm all about personal respnsibility as well JH.

I don't blame others for what goes on in my life. I have the ability to change what happens. The buck does indeed stop right here.

Do you really think fear & terror would have stopped 911? You are talking about people that want to do something to elevate themselves to their god, so they can die and be a martyr and get their virgins.

We've broken them before, in Gitmo, and elsewhere, not all of em are as hard as they want us to believe, lol please.

Forum List

Back