'How White People Got Made'

KB0J49.gif

Edit: I will eventually reply to thoughtful comments above. We still lead a busy life and even semi retired I have too much on my plate.

Tough subjects that address how many Americans think and live are always met with ad hominem and not a single thought. The meaningless replies demonstrate that too clearly. As someone noted above had I turned the discussion point around, many would have agreed. Our last president and family are a case in point, and one still called out when a target is required to quell the mind of the easily led.

But the results are the same for the working class and that includes dark skinned people as well. When wealth and corporate power alone manage the policies the resentful light skinned man and woman will require someone to blame and that is oh so easy when Americans are so uneducated that many cannot pass the citizen's test. The history book in thread op 'White Trash' is a fascinating read for the thoughtful American. Class is something Americans have a hard time facing. I see it often as I move between.

There are other more real consequences to the policies of the Trump administration outside of the inequality of taxes and class, and the people who suffer the most are often the poor whites. As Trump's EPA removes regulations that keep Americans healthy more Americans get sick and this burdens our health system. [Full disclosure: Our family was poor white, most have done ok.]

Reading: Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right by Arlie Russell Hochschild

See also another YouTube, 'Reserve, Louisiana: inside the town where cancer haunts the streets'

"His strategy rests on a bet: that these voters will respond just as enthusiastically to his belligerence as working-class white men."
Will Trumpā€™s Racist Attacks Help Him? Ask Blue-Collar White Women.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average [American conservative] voter." with apologies to Winston Churchill

'This is no accident, no coincidence, because the making of black and white was the making of the world we know now.'

The hard question for me is how and why white people allow themselves to be so obsessed with race to the point it can be used to manipulate them, control them, keep them unaware? Full disclosure. DNA says I am east and west European, northern areas, with a bit of Scot Wales and Irish thrown in. Jeez and I thought I was American. Maybe in a thousand years we'll have American DNA. Race is a recent trait in the long history of evolution. But humans make distinctions based on anything and the anythings control them.

It turns out white people are their own worst enemy. Harsh statement, I don't think so for as they gleefully cheer Trump's often racist remarks the rich grow in power and control. You doubt? Consider his only accomplishments, more money for the wealthy, himself included, less regulation for the corporations, and judges who side with both. See any 'great' healthcare or 'cheap medicine? Meanwhile many of the working class cheer and relish a vote to put another dagger in themselves.

Trump rallies are the most interesting aspect of white self immolation, Trump lies, plays himself up, plays up the economy, lies some more, makes stuff up, promises greatness, they cheer, he name calls, they cheer, he points fingers. Do they see? Do they hear? He goes golfing. They get hats. Is this simply hero worship, their latest savior? The show is about him, he cares nada for them given his past history, but they play along, clapping, cheering, and laughing. They could be automatons. What a great release, a tribal dance, a show for a man who is hardly an exemplar of American values.

'Thereā€™s a perception that whiteness is working for white people. Itā€™s not. Whiteness is one of the biggest and most long-running scams ever perpetrated.'

Reading assignment and quotes are from: How White People Got Made

"The great thing about the divide-and-conquer of creating white-skin privilege is that you donā€™t have to give people thusly bought off anything more, and American power structures didnā€™t. In places with black slavery, the whites suffered terribly." (See too Isenberg's history and Lopez's)

"There is not one gene, trait, or characteristic that distinguishes all members of one race from all members of another. We can map any number of traits and none would match our idea of race. This is because modern humans haven't been around long enough to evolve into different subspecies and we've always moved, mated, and mixed our genes. Beneath the skin, we are one of the most genetically similar of all species." RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS

"In the era of Donald Trump, many lower- and middle-class white Americans are drawn to politicians who pledge to make their lives great again. But as Dying of Whiteness shows, the policies that result actually place white Americans at ever-greater risk of sickness and death.'
Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland by Jonathan M. Metzl

"I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain." James A. Baldwin

Further study:

'White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America' by Nancy Isenberg
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg

'Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class' by Ian Haney LĆ³pez

Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class by Ian F. Haney-Lopez

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin

"And then we got down one day to the point- that was the second or third day - to talk about where they lived, and how much they were earning. And when those brothers told me what they were earning, I said, ā€œNow, you know what? You ought to be marching with us. Youā€™re just as poor as Negroes.ā€ And I said, ā€œYou are put in the position of supporting your oppressor, because, through prejudice and blindness, you fail to see that the same forces that oppress Negroes in American society oppress poor white people. And all you are living on is the satisfaction of your skin being white, and the drum major instinct of thinking that you are somebody big because you are white. And youā€™re so poor you canā€™t send your children to school. You ought to be out here marching with every one of us every time we have a march....Now thatā€™s a fact. That the poor white has been put into this position, where through blindness and prejudice, he is forced to support his oppressors. And the only thing he has going for him is the false feeling that heā€™s superior because his skin is whiteā€”and canā€™t hardly eat and make his ends meet week in and week out.ā€ Martin Luther King
I Know Why Poor Whites Chant Trump, Trump, Trump

"Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalismā€”funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism." Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan by Kim Phillips-Fein
By now most people get it.
Liberals think that white people are the problem.
The Democratic Party hates White Voters.
But, keep reminding everyone.

'This is no accident, no coincidence, because the making of black and white was the making of the world we know now.'

The hard question for me is how and why white people allow themselves to be so obsessed with race to the point it can be used to manipulate them, control them, keep them unaware? Full disclosure. DNA says I am east and west European, northern areas, with a bit of Scot Wales and Irish thrown in. Jeez and I thought I was American. Maybe in a thousand years we'll have American DNA. Race is a recent trait in the long history of evolution. But humans make distinctions based on anything and the anythings control them.

It turns out white people are their own worst enemy. Harsh statement, I don't think so for as they gleefully cheer Trump's often racist remarks the rich grow in power and control. You doubt? Consider his only accomplishments, more money for the wealthy, himself included, less regulation for the corporations, and judges who side with both. See any 'great' healthcare or 'cheap medicine? Meanwhile many of the working class cheer and relish a vote to put another dagger in themselves.

Trump rallies are the most interesting aspect of white self immolation, Trump lies, plays himself up, plays up the economy, lies some more, makes stuff up, promises greatness, they cheer, he name calls, they cheer, he points fingers. Do they see? Do they hear? He goes golfing. They get hats. Is this simply hero worship, their latest savior? The show is about him, he cares nada for them given his past history, but they play along, clapping, cheering, and laughing. They could be automatons. What a great release, a tribal dance, a show for a man who is hardly an exemplar of American values.

'Thereā€™s a perception that whiteness is working for white people. Itā€™s not. Whiteness is one of the biggest and most long-running scams ever perpetrated.'

"The great thing about the divide-and-conquer of creating white-skin privilege is that you donā€™t have to give people thusly bought off anything more, and American power structures didnā€™t. In places with black slavery, the whites suffered terribly." (See too Isenberg's history and Lopez's)

"There is not one gene, trait, or characteristic that distinguishes all members of one race from all members of another. We can map any number of traits and none would match our idea of race. This is because modern humans haven't been around long enough to evolve into different subspecies and we've always moved, mated, and mixed our genes. Beneath the skin, we are one of the most genetically similar of all species." RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS

"In the era of Donald Trump, many lower- and middle-class white Americans are drawn to politicians who pledge to make their lives great again. But as Dying of Whiteness shows, the policies that result actually place white Americans at ever-greater risk of sickness and death.'
Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland by Jonathan M. Metzl

"I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain." James A. Baldwin

Further study:

'White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America' by Nancy Isenberg

'Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class' by Ian Haney LĆ³pez

Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class by Ian F. Haney-Lopez

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin

"And then we got down one day to the point- that was the second or third day - to talk about where they lived, and how much they were earning. And when those brothers told me what they were earning, I said, ā€œNow, you know what? You ought to be marching with us. Youā€™re just as poor as Negroes.ā€ And I said, ā€œYou are put in the position of supporting your oppressor, because, through prejudice and blindness, you fail to see that the same forces that oppress Negroes in American society oppress poor white people. And all you are living on is the satisfaction of your skin being white, and the drum major instinct of thinking that you are somebody big because you are white. And youā€™re so poor you canā€™t send your children to school. You ought to be out here marching with every one of us every time we have a march....Now thatā€™s a fact. That the poor white has been put into this position, where through blindness and prejudice, he is forced to support his oppressors. And the only thing he has going for him is the false feeling that heā€™s superior because his skin is whiteā€”and canā€™t hardly eat and make his ends meet week in and week out.ā€ Martin Luther King

"Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalismā€”funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism." Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan by Kim Phillips-Fein

White privilege?
Yes, that Whites are generally more ambitious, and intelligent than most other groups.

Further study:

As racist a post as any I've seen. Sorry but Whites are no more (or less) racist than any other group I've ever encountered.

Whites are probably less prejudiced, a lot of other races are actually pretty anti-Gay, anti-Jewish, and just more Xenophobic towards foreigners.

Edit: I will eventually reply to thoughtful comments above. We still lead a busy life and even semi retired I have too much on my plate.

Tough subjects that address how many Americans think and live are always met with ad hominem and not a single thought. The meaningless replies demonstrate that too clearly. As someone noted above had I turned the discussion point around, many would have agreed. Our last president and family are a case in point, and one still called out when a target is required to quell the mind of the easily led.

But the results are the same for the working class and that includes dark skinned people as well. When wealth and corporate power alone manage the policies the resentful light skinned man and woman will require someone to blame and that is oh so easy when Americans are so uneducated that many cannot pass the citizen's test. The history book in thread op 'White Trash' is a fascinating read for the thoughtful American. Class is something Americans have a hard time facing. I see it often as I move between.

There are other more real consequences to the policies of the Trump administration outside of the inequality of taxes and class, and the people who suffer the most are often the poor whites. As Trump's EPA removes regulations that keep Americans healthy more Americans get sick and this burdens our health system. [Full disclosure: Our family was poor white, most have done ok.]

Reading: Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right by Arlie Russell Hochschild

See also another YouTube, 'Reserve, Louisiana: inside the town where cancer haunts the streets'

"His strategy rests on a bet: that these voters will respond just as enthusiastically to his belligerence as working-class white men."
Will Trumpā€™s Racist Attacks Help Him? Ask Blue-Collar White Women.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average [American conservative] voter." with apologies to Winston Churchill

If brown people are treated so horrible, why do some of them do well?

I've met a few Black / Caribbean doctors & lawyers in the USA.

I've also known that dark Asian Indians are the #1 earners in the USA today.

Last edited:

Further study:

White privilege?
Yes, that Whites are generally more ambitious, and intelligent than most other groups.

Link?

Further study:

White privilege?

Link?

What about IQ score studies, what about PISA score studies?

Trump is cutting food stamps for his base, white Americans see minute 4:45. Do they know this or do these working class whites not vote?

'Fact Check: How Trumpā€™s Policies Reinforce His Racial Attacks'

Group instinct & the white tribals of America | ORF

"We learn to be racist, therefore we can learn not to be racist. Racism is not genetical. It has everything to do with power." Jane Elliot

Trump is cutting food stamps for his base, white Americans see minute 4:45. Do they know this or do these working class whites not vote?

'Fact Check: How Trumpā€™s Policies Reinforce His Racial Attacks'

Group instinct & the white tribals of America | ORF

"We learn to be racist, therefore we can learn not to be racist. Racism is not genetical. It has everything to do with power." Jane Elliot

Working class whites voted for Trump because his campaign promises were designed to appeal to their economic interests.

His policies seem to be having the effect, that his voters wanted, ie wages for working class whites, are rising significantly for the first time in a long time.

That you see racism here, is more about you, than them.

New Topics

Forum List

Back