How well does liberalism work in beloved liberal France?

8537: Their high unemployment?

It pretty much mirrors ours. Working less doesn't create a higher unemployment rate.

Brutus: in fact their unemployment averages about 3 points over ours. Krugman an uber liberal says the European economies suffer from "Eurosclerous" indicating how well known it is that liberalism has its obvious limits.

8537: Their high unemployment?

It pretty much mirrors ours. Working less doesn't create a higher unemployment rate.

Brutus: in fact their unemployment averages about 3 points over ours. Krugman an uber liberal says the European economies suffer from "Eurosclerous" indicating how well known it is that liberalism has its obvious limits.

Please learn to use the quote feature.

At the moment, France (And most of Western Europe) have unemployment rates comparable to ours or lower.

Do they historically have higher rates? Yes.

Do they accept the tradeoff involved with those? Yes, apparently.

in fact their unemployment averages about 3 points over ours.

No, that's not a fact, especially since you haven't given a time range. Looking at 1970-2009 (best numbers I can find), BLS excel file, US had an average UE rate of 6.2%, and France's was 7.6%...so about half the difference you're claiming.

Brutus: as I said even uberlib Krugman calls it Eurosclerous

Don Bordeaux: From 1990 through 2008, America’s unemployment rate averaged 5.5 percent while western Europe’s unemployment rate averaged 8.4 percent – just about what America’s unemployment rate reached only last month [March 2009] (8.5 percent). Moreover, in each and every one of these years, America’s unemployment rate was lower – and in many years 40 and even 50 percent lower! – than western Europe’s rate. How can Mr. Rasmussen rationally conclude that American capitalism has failed relative to European state welfarism if unemployment in the U.S. only last month, for the first time in more than a quarter century, reached a level that has haunted Europeans consistently for the past two decades?

Last edited:
in fact their unemployment averages about 3 points over ours.

No, that's not a fact, especially since you haven't given a time range. Looking at 1970-2009 (best numbers I can find), BLS excel file, US had an average UE rate of 6.2%, and France's was 7.6%...so about half the difference you're claiming.

Don Bordeaux: From 1990 through 2008, America’s unemployment rate averaged 5.5 percent while western Europe’s unemployment rate averaged 8.4 percent – just about what America’s unemployment rate reached only last month [March 2009] (8.5 percent). Moreover, in each and every one of these years, America’s unemployment rate was lower – and in many years 40 and even 50 percent lower! – than western Europe’s rate. How can Mr. Rasmussen rationally conclude that American capitalism has failed relative to European state welfarism if unemployment in the U.S. only last month, for the first time in more than a quarter century, reached a level that has haunted Europeans consistently for the past two decades?

Depends on the time frame. The unemployment rate in France averaged 6.0% from 1970 to 1989 whereas it averaged 6.7% in the US. From 1990 to 2009, however, it averaged 5.6% in the US and 9.2% in France.

Depends on the time frame. The unemployment rate in France averaged 6.0% from 1970 to 1989 whereas it averaged 6.7% in the US. From 1990 to 2009, however, it averaged 5.6% in the US and 9.2% in France.

Brutus: in the end, France has what uberlib Krugman calls "Eurosclerous" and so the income of Arkansas, one of our poorest states!

New Topics

Forum List

Back