How Was Your Halloween?

You are hardcore, man. :D
Not really, but I try to adhere to my beliefs.

I find it interesting how "the world" celebrates it to such a degree.

Last year, a member of my church informed me that Halloween is actually bigger than Christmas now.

Although it was shocking to me, I didn't look it up to fact check, and took it at face value.

Do you agree with that statement?

Last year, a member of my church informed me that Halloween is actually bigger than Christmas now.

Although it was shocking to me, I didn't look it up to fact check, and took it at face value.

Nah. I don't think Halloween is even close to Christmas.

Because of the rural nature of the surrounding area, there are a lot of fundamentalist Christians here.

Our local schools allow kids to come to school dressed up for Halloween. But because of the fundamentalists, kids are not allowed to dress up at school as devils or witches or the like.

My church is a Pentacostal church, which I guess qualifies as fundamentalist. They don't roll around on the floor, though, or speak in tongues. At least not yet...

I was a little surprised to see some Halloween decorations on the church the other day, including a glow in the dark skeleton. And they took the youth group on an outing to a local pumpkin patch.

Fun, but it was a little rainy. We had about 100 kids. We always buy more than enough and tell the kids to take a couple extra pieces. I passed hot apple cider to the parents and any kid that seemed interested.

We had at least 200 kids show up at our door last night. It was phenomenal.

We live in a suburb, beyond which is rural countryside. All the families come in from the surrounding rural areas and invade our neighborhood.

I love it!

Our kids are teenagers now, and they are smarmy and troublesome and don't like to be seen in public with their parents.

When all these unbelievably adorable little ones showed up at our door, I was overwhelmed with sadness, missing my kids at that age.

I also found out just how old I am. I started trying to guess what each of the kids' costumes was, and I got a lot of them wrong.

"Are you a ninja turtle?"

[in an outraged voice] "NO! I'm from Halo!!"

I don't know what that is.

After several mistakes, I stopped guessing, unless it was very obvious. Princess, witch, zombie...

Kids are dressing up as video game characters now, and I have not played a video game in over 15 years.

I play some apps on my phone every once in a great while, but have not touched a Playstation or whatever in forever.

My son is trying to get me to play PUBG. That game is taking over the world.

Anyway. How was your Halloween?

Our streak of not having a single Trick or Treater now runs 5 years.

When we first moved up in 2000, I made 100 candy bags, expecting hoards of TorT'er - got NONE!. Every several years we'll get one or two stragglers, our Walkscore.com score is 0.

When we lived in the Bronx a block from Throggs Neck projects (we didn't know we grew up poor) we had hundreds of visitors.

We had at least 200 kids show up at our door last night. It was phenomenal.

We live in a suburb, beyond which is rural countryside. All the families come in from the surrounding rural areas and invade our neighborhood.

I love it!

Our kids are teenagers now, and they are smarmy and troublesome and don't like to be seen in public with their parents.

When all these unbelievably adorable little ones showed up at our door, I was overwhelmed with sadness, missing my kids at that age.

I also found out just how old I am. I started trying to guess what each of the kids' costumes was, and I got a lot of them wrong.

"Are you a ninja turtle?"

[in an outraged voice] "NO! I'm from Halo!!"

I don't know what that is.

After several mistakes, I stopped guessing, unless it was very obvious. Princess, witch, zombie...

Kids are dressing up as video game characters now, and I have not played a video game in over 15 years.

I play some apps on my phone every once in a great while, but have not touched a Playstation or whatever in forever.

My son is trying to get me to play PUBG. That game is taking over the world.

Anyway. How was your Halloween?
A lot fewer kids this year......we have left over candy at our house.

Nah. I don't think Halloween is even close to Christmas.

Because of the rural nature of the surrounding area, there are a lot of fundamentalist Christians here.

Our local schools allow kids to come to school dressed up for Halloween. But because of the fundamentalists, kids are not allowed to dress up at school as devils or witches or the like.

My church is a Pentacostal church, which I guess qualifies as fundamentalist. They don't roll around on the floor, though, or speak in tongues. At least not yet...

I was a little surprised to see some Halloween decorations on the church the other day, including a glow in the dark skeleton. And they took the youth group on an outing to a local pumpkin patch.
Was the pumpkin patch sincere enough?

We got 2 kids that came together.

Most of the kids in the neighborhood have all grown and are late teens or older

I have a sweet tooth and I get my wife to buy a big bag of snickers when we haven't had a kid on our dirt road and long driveway for 30 years.

I don't think Halloween is even close to Christmas.

While Christmas still tops the list for spending/profits.....Halloween has become much more popular & not just little kids. Older kids and adults are getting in on the excuse to partay

Fun, but it was a little rainy. We had about 100 kids. We always buy more than enough and tell the kids to take a couple extra pieces. I passed hot apple cider to the parents and any kid that seemed interested.

didja spike it???

Six kids came to my house yesterday which is actually three more than last year.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. My home sadly is on a road that has no side walks and can get busy at times and so every year at this time, I either get a few kids or even none.

Forum List

Back